Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

Need to get an IT career going! (Mature with Degree but bad A-levels and expereince) Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I could really do with some good advice!

I graduated from Uni in 2010 with a decent 2.1 BSc hons from Sheffield Hallam University and have had little result in finding a proper job since.

I have very poor A-levels, very little experience and I dropped out of my second year of my first university.

Since Uni:

• I have done IT work from home (mainly computer installation/repair but also phone repair, created an Access database (for a different charity than below) and other predictable sorts of IT guy things.)

• I designed and created a SQL Server 2003 back-end database for a charity that never had it's front end created as the person who was meant to create backed out.

• I have taken over as a carer for my blind father until I get some work. (I do not mention this or put it on my CV)

I would like to go into an area of IT that is not programming and preferably not databases. Something like network technician or consultant would be nice.

I have been using job sites such as Milkround, graduate-jobs, cwjobs and gumtree with no success.

Should I be applying somewhere else or to something else?

Is it worth me doing a qualification (Red Hat, A+, N+, MCP, CCNA, etc) to help me get a job?

A friend of mine is suggesting Red Hat and I have done a lot of the CCNA before... Are the Red Hat qualifications a good idea?

Should I volunteer at a charity for a role closer to what I want to do (support/technician). If so where can I find a good (preferably large) charity to volunteer at where I will get some support. My experience at the charity I worked at for a while was terrible, I was promised support I never got, forced to do work that had nothing to do with IT (this was near the end where they knew I had committed so much) and they were generally really dodgy...

The only good thing of late was that I got down to the last 1000 applicants for the NHS Informatics Management scheme, but then apparently I was too technical in my interview and got rejected mainly on this point.
    This was the only graduate interview I have ever got through to

All the rejection combined with my age (feels like life is in ruins) has really killed my confidence and so I really need some sort of support to get me going instead of being thrown in the deep end. I quickly learn and gain confidence but these days I go in stammering a bit and with low self esteem.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wetfoot)

The only good thing of late was that I got down to the last 1000 applicants for the NHS Informatics Management scheme, but then apparently I was too technical in my interview and got rejected mainly on this point.

What. The. ****. No wonder many people complain that the support staff in the NHS are absolute garbage. Because it actually is it seems...

I would definitely mention that you cared for your blind father on your cover letter. But every employer is asking: what on earth were you doing for the 6 years before you started uni?? It's best to answer that question in your cover letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wetfoot)
    Hi guys,

I could really do with some good advice!

I graduated from Uni in 2010 with a decent 2.1 BSc hons from Sheffield Hallam University and have had little result in finding a proper job since.

I have very poor A-levels, very little experience and I dropped out of my second year of my first university.

Since Uni:

• I have done IT work from home (mainly computer installation/repair but also phone repair, created an Access database (for a different charity than below) and other predictable sorts of IT guy things.)

• I designed and created a SQL Server 2003 back-end database for a charity that never had it's front end created as the person who was meant to create backed out.

• I have taken over as a carer for my blind father until I get some work. (I do not mention this or put it on my CV)

I would like to go into an area of IT that is not programming and preferably not databases. Something like network technician or consultant would be nice.

I have been using job sites such as Milkround, graduate-jobs, cwjobs and gumtree with no success.

Should I be applying somewhere else or to something else?

Is it worth me doing a qualification (Red Hat, A+, N+, MCP, CCNA, etc) to help me get a job?

A friend of mine is suggesting Red Hat and I have done a lot of the CCNA before... Are the Red Hat qualifications a good idea?

Should I volunteer at a charity for a role closer to what I want to do (support/technician). If so where can I find a good (preferably large) charity to volunteer at where I will get some support. My experience at the charity I worked at for a while was terrible, I was promised support I never got, forced to do work that had nothing to do with IT (this was near the end where they knew I had committed so much) and they were generally really dodgy...

All the rejection combined with my age (feels like life is in ruins) has really killed my confidence and so I really need some sort of support to get me going instead of being thrown in the deep end. I quickly learn and gain confidence but these days I go in stammering a bit and with low self esteem.

Any advice would be really appreciated.

Thanks!
    I say get a decent job that will help you get some money rolling in and build your work history up, anything from retail to admin. Consider getting SIA license and apply for security jobs if you struggle if getting jobs in general. After try to do Comp TIA qualifications, if you want to become IT technican or CCNA to get into network job role. Do some voluntary IT to build your IT experience, you can find them on http://www.do-it.org.uk/.

Sheffield Hallam do a master degree in Computer Network Engineering which comes with the full CNA certificate and some possible work experience but that will depend on how much money you. Its around £5000. Just giving some ideas and inspirations here. I dropped out of Hallam University to take a gap year and I am just getting ready myself. So good luck.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?
Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Quick link:

Unanswered IT and technology threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.