Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Abu Qatada deportation bid fails, again. Watch

ReputationRep:
    The home secretary, Theresea May, has once again failed in her legal bid to deport the radical Islamist cleric Abu Watada to Jordan.

The ruling was that “A state cannot expel a person to another state where there is a real risk that he will be tried on the basis of evidence which there is a real possibility may have been obtained by torture.”

However, a Home Office spokesman has commented that "This is not the end of the road, and the Government remains determined to deport Abu Qatada." - an indicator of further appeals.

Personally, I'm disgusted that he is allowed to stay in the UK. It makes a mockery of our own sovereignty. The sooner that we can be rid of this man, the better.

Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013...resa-may-loses

ReputationRep:
    ****ing hell, how much is all this costing us in legal fees?

and they're thinking of trying again after failing for the millionth time :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you 100% but unfortunately I doubt we will ever be able to deport him.

ReputationRep:
    Torture should have never been banned anyway. It is an absolute outrage. A farce. A joke.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    The money for the legal fees are coming from the tax payers pocket'!

ReputationRep:
    Sick and tired of this man.

**** his 'rights'. In my opinion he forfeited them when he started preaching (and attempting to incite) hatred and violence.

I say drag him onto a plane and dump him in Jordan anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Time for the government to give up on this now. It's not worth spending any more of taxpayers' money on this.

The lesson to be learned here is to have tighter border controls to stop just anyone coming here. We had lax border controls (and still do), we let him in and now we have to pay the price.

We should either just deport him without the ECHR's consent, or stop wasting any more money on this.

ReputationRep:
    Well said.

(Original post by TheBritishArmy)
    Time for the government to give up on this now. It's not worth spending any more of taxpayers' money on this.

The lesson to be learned here is to have tighter border controls to stop just anyone coming here. We had lax border controls (and still do), we let him in and now we have to pay the price.

We should either just deport him without the ECHR's consent, or stop wasting any more money on this.

ReputationRep:
    Just kick him out and pay the appropiate fine for doing so.

ReputationRep:
    We know where he lives, we should just hire some Russian mobsters to take him out. Far cheaper, and if anyone finds out we can always blame the Germans given their recent involvement in the Cyprus bank scandal.

ReputationRep:
    OR maybe the government should stop trying to use this man as some sort of media show, to announce to the world "Yeah, look at us, we stop terrorism!!".

Truth be told, this guy means nothing in the grand scheme of things in terms of terrorism prevention, it's just gotten to the point where it's embarrassing for the government if they don't get rid of him, and prove to the world they are still legally sovereign, that they have had to inject resources to try and do so.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    'Murica wouldn't have this problem.

Just dump his **** ass, the government should be perfectly free to expel non-citizens who they feel don't deserve to be here.

Imo, though, he would've been tagged and bagged if the govt really wanted him gone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheBritishArmy)

It's not the ECHR. It's the English Court of Appeal this time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rcummins1)
    We know where he lives, we should just hire some Russian mobsters to take him out. Far cheaper, and if anyone finds out we can always blame the Germans given their recent involvement in the Cyprus bank scandal.
    I can just imagine it: he's walking down a busy street, then all of a sudden, he feels something prick his leg! He looks around, and sees a man hurrying away with a suspicious-looking umbrella, but thinks nothing of it. Later on, he is taken to hospital, dies in his sleep, and nobody is any the wiser... :ninja:

Spoiler:
    Show
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov

In case you were wondering!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe he'll just get hit by a bus and solve the problem for us
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    I would rather put up with Qatada than start down the slippery slope of compliance with foreign nations' use of torture.

ReputationRep:
    I really hate that man's face.

ReputationRep:
    Contrary to the other posts here, this makes me feel proud that even in this case, we stick to our principles and support human rights. Probably just me though :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    We need to leave the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Contrary to the other posts here, this makes me feel proud that even in this case, we stick to our principles and support human rights. Probably just me though :dontknow:
    Rights such as those who live near him feeling safe? Or the nation as a whole? Or maybe those of a country to not allow terrorists to stay here?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.