Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Abu Qatada deportation bid fails, again. Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skip_Snip)
    Rights such as those who live near him feeling safe? Or the nation as a whole? Or maybe those of a country to not allow terrorists to stay here?
    If he's broken the law, then imprison him. If not, then he deserves his rights as a human, yes. We can't just go back on that because he's a bit of a vile person, as tempting as it is.

ReputationRep:
    Reason why we can't get rid of him is down to our own laws, not any EU ones. It's good because it prevents the government from manipulating the judiciary in order to target individual citizens like you and me.
    Doesn't mean I don't want this berkshire hunt out of the country. He hasn't worked a day since he got here and neither have his wife or kids.
    Unfortunately when Labour opened the doors they attracted a lot of good hard-working people, but also the dregs of the earth. Wish there was some way we could get him and people of his ilk (like that despicable Anjem Choudary) as well their supporters to eff off. They're not wanted here.

Was just reading through some of the comments on the Grauniad article and so many of them sum up why I detest a lot of Guardianistas. They are so blinded by their hatred of the Tories (who I don't particularly like either) that they don't care that scum like Abu Qatada are still here and there is nothing we can do about it. Why these people take so much glee in supporting people who hate their way of life, culture and country is beyond me. Fact of the matter is Abu Qatada said it's ok to kill an infidel if you're fighting them and that it's also fine to kill them even if you're not fighting them. I remember once reading a Guardian article where they lauded Labour's immigration policy because it meant that there were a greater variety of restaurants in the Elephant and Castle region of S. London. Just sums up Guardianistas.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrogInABog)
    I can just imagine it: he's walking down a busy street, then all of a sudden, he feels something prick his leg! He looks around, and sees a man hurrying away with a suspicious-looking umbrella, but thinks nothing of it. Later on, he is taken to hospital, dies in his sleep, and nobody is any the wiser... :ninja:

Spoiler:
    Show
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgi_Markov

In case you were wondering!
    I know, right? You'd think *something* would have happened to him by now... All of this makes me think that we don't even know half of the story - but I'm just trying to think up a conspiracy theory that actually makes sense, but I can't: something along the lines of, "Abu Qatada isn't even a legitimate terrorist/threat, but is being paid by the Government to maintain a facade/is a British secret agent", but it still wouldn't explain a backstory or motives.... Hmmm... :beard:

But of course, minus the silly conspiracy theories - it's really down to the laws, right, and our upholding of principles, no?

ReputationRep:
    I bet Teresa May wishes she had the guy that bumped off Berezovsky's phone number

ReputationRep:
    This is ridiculous, Jordan has laws preventing the use of torture confessions in court and they've already promised that Qatada would get a free trial, exactly what more can we do? By the letter of the law we've got all the assurances we need that he'd in theory get a fair trial and we should be able to deport him.
    This is nothing more than some pretentious liberal judges engaging in judicial activism.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Oh England.

I don't care what side of the political spectrum you hail from, we need to step up our game and be harsher on guys like this.

ReputationRep:
    Deport the **** and **** the fine. Even better, drop him in the North Sea. Job done, problem solved.

He's taking the absolute piss. Stop being so spineless and get him out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iamgreatness)
    We need to leave the EU.
    Well that's a non-sequitur if i've ever seen one. What has this got to do with the EU?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Well that's a non-sequitur if i've ever seen one. What has this got to do with the EU?!
    The EU stopped us deporting him the first time. I thought they were behind this again. regardless, i still stand by my comment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForensicShoe)
    Sick and tired of this man.

**** his 'rights'. In my opinion he forfeited them when he started preaching (and attempting to incite) hatred and violence.

I say drag him onto a plane and dump him in Jordan anyway.
    Absolutely! And save fuel by dumping him out of the plane at about 500ft, rather than landing!

ReputationRep:
    Woah, déjá vu.

ReputationRep:
    Let us have no more reactionary nonsense spoken about this matter and recognize (as the judge rightly did) that protecting this man from all logically possible, theoretical, and hypothetical (possible) future harm (and consequences of his actions) must be the absolute number one priority of the British state and certainly takes high moral precedence over the rights and safety of its actual citizens who have a right to be here - a Solomon-like judgment if ever there was one!

Like most people, I personally would be only too delighted if my entire family were wiped out in a terroist atrocity if this is the price one has to pay for upholding this man's right to plot death, destruction and mayhem for those who offend his delicate sensibility whilst being fully protected by the British state and legal system from all possible future consequences of his actions - a right which, after all, has been thoroughly enjoyed by most criminals in the UK for many years.

The real ufairness in this case is that this man is having his rights protected by the British legal system whilst all over the world there are terroists, murderers and criminals of every description whose rights ae not receiving the same potection in less savoury regimes - a situation with which no humane, progressive and egalitarian mind can possibly be satisfied. Therefore, to be fair, equal, and consistent in our upholding of human rights, let us make it a legal obligation on our government to send out explicit invitations to murderers, terrorists, rapists, paedophiles, and drug dealers all over the world so that they can all come to the UK and have their human rights protected. Then, instead of arbitrarily and unequally protecting the odd individual that happens to (illegally) turn up, we can have potentially tens of millions of criminals systematically pouring into our country to enjoy the full protection of the universal human rights they respect so deeply the moment they are arrested - whilst no doubt adding also, in their own interesting and fascinating ways, to the rich and colourful diversity of our culture!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Just dump his **** ass, the government should be perfectly free to expel non-citizens who they feel don't deserve to be here.
    Yeah, people have tried that before.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsi...ns_from_Uganda

ReputationRep:
    The EU stopped us deporting him the first time. I thought they were behind this again. regardless, i still stand by my comment.
    No, the European Court (a separate organisation) did. We'd still be a party to that even if we left the EU.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anarchism101)
    Yeah, people have tried that before.....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expulsi...ns_from_Uganda
    Perhaps I should've clarified that by "not deserve to be here" I mean being highly suspected of illegal activities, rather than a generic ethnic cleansing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harry Callahan)
    Deport the **** and **** the fine. Even better, drop him in the North Sea. Job done, problem solved.

He's taking the absolute piss. Stop being so spineless and get him out.
    Yeah, let's just throw out legal procedure and the rule of law in favour of just letting the government execute whoever they like. That'll work out great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Architecture-er)
    Perhaps I should've clarified that by "not deserve to be here" I mean being highly suspected of illegal activities, rather than a generic ethnic cleansing.
    Abu Qatada remains yet to be charged in the UK. This whole saga is about a crime he's accused of in Jordan, for which the evidence is quite flimsy and almost certainly obtained through torture.

If you want to try him under UK law, OK, but that's a separate issue and needs to be seen as such.

ReputationRep:
    No, the European Court (a separate organisation) did. We'd still be a party to that even if we left the EU.
    then we leave the european court.

ReputationRep:
    Abu Qatada remains yet to be charged in the UK. This whole saga is about a crime he's accused of in Jordan, for which the evidence is quite flimsy and almost certainly obtained through torture.

If you want to try him under UK law, OK, but that's a separate issue and needs to be seen as such.
    The beliefs he espouses are totally unlawful and could easily incite terrorism acts in the UK. A country should have the right to remove non-citizens it thinks would threaten national security - they're only present in the UK as guests, if you will.

The vast majority of countries wouldn't have any problems with doing this. We don't want him, we should be able to get rid of him. **** where he goes, we don't care about that, we just don't want him inciting religious violence on our soil

ReputationRep:
    then we leave the european court.
    The only European country not in the European Court is the corrupt dictatorship of Belarus, just to give you an idea of the club we'be joining if we left.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.