Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Knee Pain After Squatting Watch

ReputationRep:
    Having some issues with both knees due to squatting at the moment. I don't want to risk snapping it up so I've replaced squats in my program with deadlifts, temporarily.

I was wondering how to improve flexibility to remove this problem? The pain is an intermittent stabbing pain that has gradually got worse over the past few weeks. It doesn't hurt when I do working sets, but it's somewhat uncomfortable during warm-up sets. The pain is at it's peak 24-48 hours after a workout.

On Starting Strength and I do squats with a "High Bar" position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dark Horse)
    Having some issues with both knees due to squatting at the moment. I don't want to risk snapping it up so I've replaced squats in my program with deadlifts, temporarily.

I was wondering how to improve flexibility to remove this problem? The pain is an intermittent stabbing pain that has gradually got worse over the past few weeks. It doesn't hurt when I do working sets, but it's somewhat uncomfortable during warm-up sets. The pain is at it's peak 24-48 hours after a workout.

On Starting Strength and I do squats with a "High Bar" position.
    I take it your form is good. Maybe is an excessive workload which your knees aren't used too? I dunno... I would suggest just lay off squats for a few weeks and go back to them to see if the problem persists, but that could lead to further injury.

Maybe seek medical advice on what the issue is?

(I'm not sure myself how to improve flexibility, I only do light squats as warm ups)

ReputationRep:
    General advice for knee pain:
    1) start to foam roll/use a lacrosse ball on your quads/IT band/calves/piriformis
    2) Do the couch and piriformis stretches.
    3) Learn to use a voodoo floss band on mobilitywod (use a bicycle inner tube)
    4) Do something like DeFranco's Agile 8 before you lift (which includes some of the above advice.)

ReputationRep:
    i get this too

ReputationRep:
    I've heard squats improve knee issues people have? Because it strengthens them and the tendons and muscles around the knee. Maybe give it some time?

I might be wrong, I just have a bit of equipment at home and work out when I'm not too lazy. My knees also hurt at the start when I started squatting with weights, but pretty quickly that stopped.

ReputationRep:
    Just check your form over. Record yourself doing with a lower weight.

ReputationRep:
    When you squat, your knees must be behind your toes! The reason why you're getting pains might be because you're putting all your body weight on your knees rather than your ankles/bottom of your leg. A tip I always use is I pretend I'm pushing an object AWAY from my hips. This helps to keep your back straight and your weight on your ankles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    1) start to foam roll/use a lacrosse ball on your quads/IT band/calves/piriformis
    4) Do something like DeFranco's Agile 8 before you lift (which includes some of the above advice.)
    Good advice, thanks.

I used to stretch before workouts but stopped for some reason, thinking that the flexibility I gained would stay, but guess it didn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)
    I've heard squats improve knee issues people have? Because it strengthens them and the tendons and muscles around the knee. Maybe give it some time?

I might be wrong, I just have a bit of equipment at home and work out when I'm not too lazy. My knees also hurt at the start when I started squatting with weights, but pretty quickly that stopped.
    It's not a pre-existing knee issue, it's just an issue when I squat.

(Original post by lalaland)
    When you squat, your knees must be behind your toes! The reason why you're getting pains might be because you're putting all your body weight on your knees rather than your ankles/bottom of your leg. A tip I always use is I pretend I'm pushing an object AWAY from my hips. This helps to keep your back straight and your weight on your ankles.
    I'm guessing something is too tight then and pulls my knees back behind my toes. I know for a fact that they aren't tracking inwards so it must be what you said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Blind Monk)
    I found a video of the guy using a floss band on his elbow joint but can't find anything on him using it on the knee. Would imagine the principle is just the same?

ReputationRep:
    Feet just over shoulder width and hip crease below knees?
    If so,you're form is pretty good and it may be a matter of where you're exerting the force. Dont strain you're knees,push through your heels

ReputationRep:
    front squats

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrisgibson)
    Feet just over shoulder width and hip crease below knees?
    If so,you're form is pretty good and it may be a matter of where you're exerting the force. Dont strain you're knees,push through your heels
    I have a problem going past parallel. Also because of the flexibility/tightness issue I think.

Mark Rippetoe did say if two or more problems with form/injury occur, they're often connected to each other.

(Original post by munn)
    front squats
    No.

ReputationRep:
    I have patella tracking disorder (my knee caps don't slot in where they're supposed to) and a structural abnormality with my ankles meaning I can't squat, and that came around about a year and a half - two years ago. I'd maybe break from the hardcore exercising you seem to be doing at the moment and focus on more exercises to almost elongate your muscles.

Some exercises I was told to try was to stand on one foot and bend your knee to put it over your 2nd toe. Also do the straight-back-leg-lunges and one where you lie on your side with your legs slightly bent on top of each other and slowly open and close your legs. It does the little muscle on the outside area behind your quads and that helps.

Hope it gets better soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No.
    Foolish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    Foolish
    No. They should form part of an overall program but shouldn't really directly replace back squats.

Try low bar. Do shoulder dislocations to help with flexibility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bonzo10)
    No. They should form part of an overall program but shouldn't really directly replace back squats.

Try low bar. Do shoulder dislocations to help with flexibility.
    How do shoulder dislocations help with knee pain?

Front squats require a lot more relative power from the leg muscles than the back squat - the weight of which can be inflated by both poor form and strong lower back muscles.
    Neither of these will help you in a front squat, so a lower weight needs to be lifted, which in turn leads to reduced stress on the knees.

Front squats shouldn't replace back squats in any healthy individual's workout plan, but someone who can't perform back squats because of knee pain should work on their front squat due to the above factors. It won't "strengthen" the knee, but it will strengthen everything around it whilst allowing the knee to repair itself. Then you can return to back squats (if you so choose, it is quite easy to get by on a rotation of front squats and deadlifts)

ReputationRep:
    I found a video of the guy using a floss band on his elbow joint but can't find anything on him using it on the knee. Would imagine the principle is just the same?
    http://www.mobilitywod.com/2012/05/v...oral-pain.html

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    How do shoulder dislocations help with knee pain?

Front squats require a lot more relative power from the leg muscles than the back squat - the weight of which can be inflated by both poor form and strong lower back muscles.
    Neither of these will help you in a front squat, so a lower weight needs to be lifted, which in turn leads to reduced stress on the knees.

Front squats shouldn't replace back squats in any healthy individual's workout plan, but someone who can't perform back squats because of knee pain should work on their front squat due to the above factors. It won't "strengthen" the knee, but it will strengthen everything around it whilst allowing the knee to repair itself. Then you can return to back squats (if you so choose, it is quite easy to get by on a rotation of front squats and deadlifts)
    I think he's referring to the shoulder and elbow pain I had when I was doing low bar squats. You won't believe how pissed I was when I had to change my squat and take 30kg off the bar btw.

Thanks for the advice on front squats. Maybe I'll do them if it turns out I really don't have any other option. Although I'd still be pissed off if I'm somehow physically unable to do the king of exercises, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danny111)

They've definitely improved my knees.

The only stretching I've ever done is this.

http://stronglifts.com/squat-2-stand...lity-exercise/

The few times I've had any ache from squatting is because my knees have caved a bit.

Poll
Which pet is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.