Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Roaccutane Stopped and acne has come back! Watch

hi,

i went on roaccutane roughly a year ago, for 6 months, by which time my acne had pretty much cleared up and i thought i was cured! i was meant to be contacted by the dermatologist outpatient place to review what to do next. i thought nothing of it when they never wrote to me to make the next appointment, and when my acne started to reappear i went to the GP to ask for his advice, who contacted them to get me another appointment. this was early december, and i've just received an acknowledgement that i have been added to the waiting list for a consultation despite being 'high priority' :rolleyes:

i've had acne for about 6 years now and i've put up with it for too long. i have scarring and i made a mental note about 6 months ago that before i start uni in september that i want to pay to have the scarring treated once and for all so i can get on with my life and feel more confident in how i look. obviously for the treatment to be worthwhile i cant keep having the acne coming back

in the meantime i'm on minocycline and feeling really down about how i look. none of my siblings who range in age between 14-22 have had acne anywhere near as bad as me too!

any advice greatly appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    hi!

i was on the same medication for 6 months and mine came back after about a year. i also have some bad side effects left from it my mum was getting some treatment done for her skin and she found out that roaccutane is really bad for you. it has the same effect on your organism as being on chemotherapy and needs at least a year to get to some healthy level!

i went to my gp and will be going on the pill soon to get both my acne and side effects sorted.

in the meantime i would use tea tree oil range from the body shop (i am using it currently). it keeps your skin in good condition and doesn't dry it out.

for bad outbreaks i put sudocrem on overnight after i wash my face and that helps. in the mornings i wash my face andj apply nivea cream on and avoid makeup.

if you need any help let me know, i also know some makeup tricks )

(Original post by sandra95)
    hi!

i was on the same medication for 6 months and mine came back after about a year. i also have some bad side effects left from it my mum was getting some treatment done for her skin and she found out that roaccutane is really bad for you. it has the same effect on your organism as being on chemotherapy and needs at least a year to get to some healthy level!

i went to my gp and will be going on the pill soon to get both my acne and side effects sorted.

in the meantime i would use tea tree oil range from the body shop (i am using it currently). it keeps your skin in good condition and doesn't dry it out.

for bad outbreaks i put sudocrem on overnight after i wash my face and that helps. in the mornings i wash my face andj apply nivea cream on and avoid makeup.

if you need any help let me know, i also know some makeup tricks )
    thanks for reply.

i went to the GP today and it was one with a generalised knowledge of acne unfortunately! i will be on duac and a new type of pill beginning with 'T' (long name i wont attempt), just in the mean time before i get to see a dermatologist.

as for make up, i'm male and i do wear foundation if it gets bad enough, but the problem i have with that is that i find it annoying to get off, and it tends to make the acne worse in the next day or two, so now i dont bother, i just leave it as it is.

anyway, i'll be booking another appointment with the GP i usually use as he has more knowledge. i'll also ask him about scarring treatment, you know the ones like harley street etc!

ReputationRep:
    i hope it will get better soon and i don't think NHS pay for scarring treatment, and i cant even afford harley street

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 4, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.