Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

RAF Selection Fitness Test - Preparation Advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    Removed

ReputationRep:
    Some people find the 'One Hundred Pushup' routine useful, there's a similar site for situps too.

Personally I'd recommend doing push ups with your legs raised on a chair/bench, and doing situps while holding a medicine ball/dumbell. Doing the exercises with weight will make them much easier and faster when you then come to do them without.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Do press ups and do sit ups. There are no short cuts.

It isn't a very high level. Really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Do press ups and do sit ups. There are no short cuts.

It isn't a very high level. Really.
    (Original post by Tommmo)
    Some people find the 'One Hundred Pushup' routine useful, there's a similar site for situps too.

Personally I'd recommend doing push ups with your legs raised on a chair/bench, and doing situps while holding a medicine ball/dumbell. Doing the exercises with weight will make them much easier and faster when you then come to do them without.

Cheers for the replies. Situps with medicine ball sounds like a good shout. I'll also try pushups on a chair or maybe a weighted bag on my back. Any recommendations on sets etc?

I'm aware there aren't any shortcuts. I've been training 3-5 times a week for months. I'm doing a lot of pushups and situps but progress has been minimal. That's why I'm asking:

How many I should be doing?
    How often?
    With weights or body weight?
    In sets or training to failure?

Bearing in mind I'm aiming for 45-50 in a minute not the 20 pass mark.

Thanks for any advice!

ReputationRep:
    At OASC and your FAM visit they stop you at the pass mark so don't worry too much. Although saying that you should keep training as when it comes to IOT you'll need to be hitting the 40-50 mark, but don't worry yourself over the OASC fitness test.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mac171)
    At OASC and your FAM visit they stop you at the pass mark so don't worry too much. Although saying that you should keep training as when it comes to IOT you'll need to be hitting the 40-50 mark, but don't worry yourself over the OASC fitness test.
    Really? I went through OASC in 2010 and continued until failure?

ReputationRep:
    Not true. At both OASC and the Famil you are to continue until failure. You're still being judged and compared to other candidates - do as well as you can on the fitness test.

ReputationRep:
    when were you last there to confirm this information?

ReputationRep:
    when were you last there to confirm this information?
    That's how it was when I went through in 2010, and I've spoken to friends who have done it in the last 6 months.

If you've heard or experienced otherwise, it could be down to the PTI who's taking it. In the RAF, from OASC to the day you leave, fitness tests *should* be conducted as maximum effort.

ReputationRep:
    OASC changes in subtle ways occasionally. It would actually be fairer to stop everyone at the "pass mark"; further achievement beyond that point in not necessary to have a bearing on selection, and there's no point risking injury. Either you pass the test or you don't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommmo)
    That's how it was when I went through in 2010, and I've spoken to friends who have done it in the last 6 months.

If you've heard or experienced otherwise, it could be down to the PTI who's taking it. In the RAF, from OASC to the day you leave, fitness tests *should* be conducted as maximum effort.
    I was there a number of times during 2012 and this is the standard they are now expecting.

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys.

Cheers for the replies.

Will have to wait for my Joining Instructions when Cranwell get back after Easter to see how the fitness test is run in 2013! Either way I'm going to train for 45+.

Any advice on sets or training to failure, how often? Want to spend the next few weeks doing the most efficient training possible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChrisLincoln)
    Hey guys.

Cheers for the replies.

Will have to wait for my Joining Instructions when Cranwell get back after Easter to see how the fitness test is run in 2013! Either way I'm going to train for 45+.

Any advice on sets or training to failure, how often? Want to spend the next few weeks doing the most efficient training possible.
    What Fitz said above is quite logical. I'd spend more time focussing on getting through the rest of selection than fitness, you won't get one of few jobs just because you can do the 1.5 in Olympic timings... What branch are you applying for?

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teasin_tina)
    What Fitz said above is quite logical. I'd spend more time focussing on getting through the rest of selection than fitness, you won't get one of few jobs just because you can do the 1.5 in Olympic timings... What branch are you applying for?

I'm applying for ATC. I'm doing masses of interview prep and working through a library of planning exercises. However it's so competitive in the current climate that the only difference between two candidates could be fitness so I'm training hard for that area too!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for ATC. I'm doing masses of interview prep and working through a library of planning exercises. However it's so competitive in the current climate that the only difference between two candidates could be fitness so I'm training hard for that area too!
    Do you have an OASC date? It's not possible for fitness to be the deciding factor, it goes into the matrix system which calculates your average score as a 'pass' or 'fail' only. You're doing the right thing by lots of interview/exercise prep and I'd concentrate on that and keeping your fitness to the level you've got at which is more than good enough for OASC.

ReputationRep:
    Do you have an OASC date? It's not possible for fitness to be the deciding factor, it goes into the matrix system which calculates your average score as a 'pass' or 'fail' only. You're doing the right thing by lots of interview/exercise prep and I'd concentrate on that and keeping your fitness to the level you've got at which is more than good enough for OASC.

Hi Tina

No date for Part 2 just yet! Passed Part 1 on 4th of March, 4 weeks seems longer than the usual turn around. However i'm sure a fair amount of OASC staff will be off around Easter!

Interesting, so assuming you scored identically to another candidate in the exercise phase/interview (unlikely i know). It won't matter if you did 20 pushups or 50? Pass is pass for that section?

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Hi Tina

No date for Part 2 just yet! Passed Part 1 on 4th of March, 4 weeks seems longer than the usual turn around. However i'm sure a fair amount of OASC staff will be off around Easter!

Interesting, so assuming you scored identically to another candidate in the exercise phase/interview (unlikely i know). It won't matter if you did 20 pushups or 50? Pass is pass for that section?

Chris
    Pass is a pass. A boarding officer oversees so can gauge your determination and effort but as far as the system goes you either pass or don't. Certainly takes the stress off and you'll perform your best ever fitness test at OASC, trust me, the adrenalin kicks in for max effort because you want it so much!

ReputationRep:
    Pass is a pass. A boarding officer oversees so can gauge your determination and effort but as far as the system goes you either pass or don't. Certainly takes the stress off and you'll perform your best ever fitness test at OASC, trust me, the adrenalin kicks in for max effort because you want it so much!

Hi Tina,

Cheers for the info. Looking forward to OASC though trying to make the most of the time i have to prepare!

Chris

ReputationRep:
    Hi Chris,
    Sent off an application for ATC Officer three weeks ago, so hoping to do oasc in about 6-8 weeks once they reply. My AFCO (Exeter) gave me the March 2010 OASC notes which detail run times and press ups/sit ups for that time (doubt they've changed by much). They also gave me a small booklet with a six week fitness program for potential officer candidates which tells you to do certain amounts of running/low intensity aerobic exercises such as cycling, and muscular endurance moves (press ups/sit ups/dorsal raises/ step ups/tricep dips) - been following this for a few days now and feeling much better for it! If you can get your hands on these sources they are worth their weight in gold! Hope this helps!

Regards
    Alex

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirPower)
    I did OASC Part 2 late last year and can confirm that they stop you when you get to 20 press ups and 35 sit ups (assuming you are a male aged 17-29). But the 1.5 mile on the treadmill is your fastest time.

Best advice I can give to increase press ups and sit ups is exactly what I did, and what the PTIs suggested... just bang out 10 - 20 press ups and/or 20 - 30 sit ups every time you do a certain thing... in my case I do this every day before I take a shower and then again after my shower. This led to me achieving 41 press ups and 42 sit ups with relative ease on the FAM visit (should have been more, but kept getting some knocked off for poor technique!).

And just to confirm, on the FAM visit you do as many as you can within 1 minute and you are expected to achieve a 'light blue' score which is (again, assuming you are a male aged 17-29):

Press ups: 40
    Sit ups: 41
    Run: 10.12

Also, the run at the FAM visit is outside, so wearing trail shoes or shoes with a bit of grip on the bottom may help, as a few of us were sliding a bit on the corners!

Good luck with your training and preparation for the fitness... but remember if you don't perform well in your leadership and planning exercises, you wont even get the chance to perform the fitness test, so remember not to concentrate 100% on fitness!
    Hi AirPower

Thanks for the confirmation on the Fitness Test Protocals. I'm going to train as hard as i can but at least i know the pass mark at OASC is comfortable!

Yeah i'm working hard on the planning exercises and got some good advice for the leadership phase. Let's hope i reach the standard they require.

Thanks for the help. Good luck at IOT!

Chris

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.