Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

RAF Selection Fitness Test - Preparation Advice Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AirPower)
    I did OASC Part 2 late last year and can confirm that they stop you when you get to 20 press ups and 35 sit ups (assuming you are a male aged 17-29). But the 1.5 mile on the treadmill is your fastest time.
    Just for completeness, this is definitely still the case; I had it confirmed yesterday by OASC. The run isn't "best effort" as such, but then again, you'd think you be running it as fast as you reasonably could anyway!

It may change in future, particularly if the number of candidates for relatively few places remains high, and they an afford to be very selective.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fritz Bollinger)
    Just for completeness, this is definitely still the case; I had it confirmed yesterday by OASC. The run isn't "best effort" as such, but then again, you'd think you be running it as fast as you reasonably could anyway!

It may change in future, particularly if the number of candidates for relatively few places remains high, and they an afford to be very selective.
    Thanks for your confirmation Fritz!

ReputationRep:
    R u in the RAF now?

ReputationRep:
    I'm bumping this for absolute confirmation really as the post is quite old now

Is it true that when you hit 20 press ups and 35 sit ups they stop you?

I generally don't train in that specific sort of way (weights, olympic lifts, distance running) so I decided to give myself a test on Saturday. I got to 35 push ups in around 30ish seconds before resting. Then pushed through to 44 in a minute. This was arms by side so Marine-esque tricep focused press ups. I can do wide armed chest focused pressups a lot easier. Stopping at around 50 before needing a rest. These are also chest to the floor.

Sit ups I stopped at 30 which took me to around 40 seconds. I then got it to 37 in a minute. This was with someone standing on my feet. Elbows and upper back making contact with the ground when going down. Elbows touching tops of knees coming up.

My current goal is to register application end of June so was going to start focusing on variations of these to improve scores but that seems pointless if I'm already hitting the targets now.

My run time was 09.15 for 1.5m. I have created a 5k running plan to last 6 weeks and I should hope to shave a good 30+ seconds off of that time. I've managed it before.

All of this adequate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BarrattsMini)
    I'm bumping this for absolute confirmation really as the post is quite old now

Is it true that when you hit 20 press ups and 35 sit ups they stop you?

I generally don't train in that specific sort of way (weights, olympic lifts, distance running) so I decided to give myself a test on Saturday. I got to 35 push ups in around 30ish seconds before resting. Then pushed through to 44 in a minute. This was arms by side so Marine-esque tricep focused press ups. I can do wide armed chest focused pressups a lot easier. Stopping at around 50 before needing a rest. These are also chest to the floor.

Sit ups I stopped at 30 which took me to around 40 seconds. I then got it to 37 in a minute. This was with someone standing on my feet. Elbows and upper back making contact with the ground when going down. Elbows touching tops of knees coming up.

My current goal is to register application end of June so was going to start focusing on variations of these to improve scores but that seems pointless if I'm already hitting the targets now.

My run time was 09.15 for 1.5m. I have created a 5k running plan to last 6 weeks and I should hope to shave a good 30+ seconds off of that time. I've managed it before.

All of this adequate?
    Yeah. I've just completed my PJFT and they stopped me as soon as I hit the necessary reps. Just continue doing what your doing and maybe do some interval training, closer to your PRTC.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Matt,

Well for what I need for my role I've already got everything down but the new goal will be to complete the bare minimum requirements without having to stop (pretty sure I'm already there?). Push ups - 20? Sit ups - 35? 1.5m under 10m 30?

Are the push ups specific like tricep based or can you have your arms out wide or close in?

ReputationRep:
    The RAF standards specify 'hands shoulder width apart'. So that sounds like proper 'tricep' pushups as you put it.

If you look at the recent threads, this year the RAF has been using the bleep test at OASC rather than the 1.5m run. Train both or make sure you know 100% which one you're on for!

You're aiming for light blue if you can.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jannisjr)
    The RAF standards specify 'hands shoulder width apart'. So that sounds like proper 'tricep' pushups as you put it.

If you look at the recent threads, this year the RAF has been using the bleep test at OASC rather than the 1.5m run. Train both or make sure you know 100% which one you're on for!

Thanks,

Yes I did notice the bleep test stuff. I’ve not run it for a while but I grabbed the app over the weekend.

Bought a Polar M400 running watch to push myself a little further and more accurately as well.

I re-tested Saturday with push ups and sit ups gaining 39 and 39. Been ill all week so no running but again I’m under 10 minutes. I want to aim for 9 minutes over the next 2 months. The current goal is application submission 31st July.

I see no reason why I won’t achieve I cannot increase the push/sit ups and down the time. Regardless of whether they stop you or not. Seems a shame that happens really.

ReputationRep:
    Don't forget to start prepping your interview ASAP. You can never start too early, especially with the international affairs research.
    There's a lot to take in if you leave it to after your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BarrattsMini)
    Thanks Matt,

Well for what I need for my role I've already got everything down but the new goal will be to complete the bare minimum requirements without having to stop (pretty sure I'm already there?). Push ups - 20? Sit ups - 35? 1.5m under 10m 30?

Are the push ups specific like tricep based or can you have your arms out wide or close in?
    (Original post by jannisjr)

Just so that you have the right info BM:

Matt is talking about PJFT - the non-commissioned entry fitness test
    At OASC, the fitness test is still max effort (according to friends who've been through with the bleep test - I went through with the 2.4k run)

Press-ups are with hands about a shoulders width apart, however beyond that you can choose your style.
    On my OASC, I went wide-arms, whereas others went for tricep-style.

The only part that matters is form - your upper arms MUST be parallel to the ground and your back must be straight, if you do a press up that doesn't meet either of those criteria, it won't be counted!
    Likewise for sit ups: if your shoulder blades don't touch the ground, or elbows don't touch the top of your knees, they won't count that sit up.
    They are very strict about form!!

Jannisjr is right that since about January the OASC fitness test is the bleep test. For training, I believe there's a copy on the RAF website (and there's almost certainly a link on here somewhere!)

Hence, the minimum pass marks for the fitness test are:

20 Press-Ups
    35 Sit-Ups
    Level 9.10 on the Bleep Test

However, I strongly agree about aiming for light blue!

Good luck!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    That is absolutely perfect thank you.

I would be applying for an Officer role so happy to know my efforts won't be 'cut short'.

I'll get working on the bleep test

ReputationRep:
    Just to agree with maxice, it's max effort, but don't be a hero and kill yourself on the run, because you most likely will get press ups and sit ups knocked off due to incorrect form, and every rep counts when it's pass/fail!

Work on the turning, this is the point that most people lose time or injure themselves from.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Would anybody be able to post the image on here of the sit up technique that is in the guidance notes received along with the letter of invitation to OASC. For some reason it will not load on my email, and I'd just like to see how their form compares with what I am currently doing for sit ups.

ReputationRep:
    I've done the fitness test with the UAS about 5 times, although the running was a bleep test instead.

For the pushups and situps, I wouldn't advise doing them elevated or with a medicine ball.

When it comes to exercise, your body responds and adapts to stress very specifically.

The fitness test consists of bodyweight pushups, and situps. Do them as such. Do not make them harder. Do not make them easier. Ensure you consistently achieve full range of motion. I believe the standard is your chest should be able to touch a fist placed underneath you (You'll get a partner to do this in the actual test). When you practice, try and do them as quickly as possible as well. Keep your core tight as well. When you start to approach failure, a tight core really helps. (At least it helps me anyway, keeps me nice and rigid).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MysteryH140)
    Would anybody be able to post the image on here of the sit up technique that is in the guidance notes received along with the letter of invitation to OASC. For some reason it will not load on my email, and I'd just like to see how their form compares with what I am currently doing for sit ups.
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    I've done the fitness test with the UAS about 5 times, although the running was a bleep test instead.

For the pushups and situps, I wouldn't advise doing them elevated or with a medicine ball.

When it comes to exercise, your body responds and adapts to stress very specifically.

The fitness test consists of bodyweight pushups, and situps. Do them as such. Do not make them harder. Do not make them easier. Ensure you consistently achieve full range of motion. I believe the standard is your chest should be able to touch a fist placed underneath you (You'll get a partner to do this in the actual test). When you practice, try and do them as quickly as possible as well. Keep your core tight as well. When you start to approach failure, a tight core really helps. (At least it helps me anyway, keeps me nice and rigid).
    Just fyi the fitness test at OASC is now a bleep test too. (Also the UAS/general RAF fitness test tends to be a bit less obsessed with form and perfection than the OASC one)

The standard for press ups is upper arms parallel to the floor. They'll get you to come into the 'down' position and then place their fist under your shoulder, just touching. Then just hit their fist each time! Get a friend/sibling/parent watch/help you and tell them to be harsh judges. At OASC your 'partner' is one of the Cranwell PTIs, and they are VERY strict on form. I'd advise quality over quantity rather than just doing them quickly - better to start with 10 perfect ones in a minute and then add more; rather than 50 sloppy ones and find out at OASC that 40 get discounted and you've failed.

The standard for sit ups is fingers on your temples, elbows must touch the top of your knees (note - falling short or going to either side will be discounted), shoulder blades must touch the mat at the end of each complete sit up. If the hands leave the temples, discounted; if you use your hips to thrust yourself up (if you get what I mean?), discounted, etc etc. They are very strict on form!

I'll dig up my OASC notes when I get back this afternoon and get you a photo MysteryH (I had problems with mine too - eventually managed to get a proper copy that worked! It was (on mine at least) due to the pictures being dii links as opposed to actually integrated, which is fine on a military computer but no use to anyone else!)

PS. I would disagree with JD1lla and say that if you want to train elevated/with medicine balls feel free, (personally I do and several other successful candidates on my OASC did) as it's a good way to increase your workload and build strength, however still ensure that you are capable of doing the required number to the required standard.

At the end of the day, as long as you can perform to the right level at OASC, there is no right or wrong method of training; exercise is a personal thing as it's whatever works best for you!

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you want to train with a medicine ball/elevated pushups then by all means go ahead.. However, an elevated pushup, as beneficial as they are, places emphasis on different areas of chest/triceps. It does not necessarily improve on total number of pushups. For example, training with weights attached to your ankles whilst running does not make you a faster runner when you run without them. (Logically, you'd think it would, but the science shows otherwise). I said to do them quickly whilst achieving full range of motion. Full range of motion = good quality rep that will meet any high standard the PT will have of you. However, doing them 'quickly' engages a stretch reflex at the bottom of the pressup which is highly beneficial. Google 'stretch reflex' if you want to know how/why this is beneficial. A stronger chest/triceps DOES NOT MEAN more pushups. This is extremely important.

The take-home point from what I'm trying to say, is keep your training as simple and efficient as possible. If you want to do all the variations of pushups and situps with/without weights, go ahead.

Somebody mentioned the 100 pushups program or something like that. I highly recommend this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JD1lla)
    If you want to train with a medicine ball/elevated pushups then by all means go ahead.. However, an elevated pushup, as beneficial as they are, places emphasis on different areas of chest/triceps. It does not necessarily improve on total number of pushups. For example, training with weights attached to your ankles whilst running does not make you a faster runner when you run without them. (Logically, you'd think it would, but the science shows otherwise). I said to do them quickly whilst achieving full range of motion. Full range of motion = good quality rep that will meet any high standard the PT will have of you. However, doing them 'quickly' engages a stretch reflex at the bottom of the pressup which is highly beneficial. Google 'stretch reflex' if you want to know how/why this is beneficial. A stronger chest/triceps DOES NOT MEAN more pushups. This is extremely important.

The take-home point from what I'm trying to say, is keep your training as simple and efficient as possible. If you want to do all the variations of pushups and situps with/without weights, go ahead.

Somebody mentioned the 100 pushups program or something like that. I highly recommend this.
    As I said, it's whatever training works for the individual. I'm sure MysteryH will try all the suggestions made in this thread and determine what works best for them.

While the stretch reflex is beneficial, it is more important to ensure technique is perfect during the SFT; hence suggesting that MysteryH should first perfect technique before improving speed. Having been through the OASC fitness test twice, and seen several friends fail on the press ups, I can state that the OASC PTIs have no mercy. Perfect the technique, then improve speed.
    A certain senior officer at OASC told me that your actual numbers on the fitness make a very minor contribution to your overall score when compared to the other elements of OASC - all that really matters at the SFT is that you achieve the minimum, anything extra from then on just helps your case.

The 100 push ups program is a good suggestion. I would also suggest "100% Army Fit" or similar - an app developed by the Army for their applicants. While some of it is a little different, overall I found it quite useful. However, as with everything, it's up to you to determine what works best for you!

I've found that picture from the NoGs, couldn't get it out on it's own so it's in the document attached. It's not the best photo, but gives you an idea and includes all the test descriptors etc.

Best of luck!
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: doc RAF FT Press Ups Excerpt.doc (78.5 KB, 109 views)

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks for the help Maxice Jd1lla. I'm confident that I'm more than fit enough to pass the tests but I just want to cover the form aspect. Maxice do you have the equivalent photos for the sit ups?

ReputationRep:
    My son is 16 and thinking of joining RAF. He is currently in the air cadets. Any advice on what he needs achieve fitness wise to get in. So I can support and encourage him ?

ReputationRep:
    As said previously in this thread, he'll need to reach 'green' standard as a minimum.

20 press ups in a minute
    35 sit ups in a minute
    Level 9.10 in the bleep test (google it, you can usually download the sound track and instructions).

Get him down to a running shop and get a good set of shoes to fit him. Not over the counter, as he may pronate etc when running and they will find the right type for him.
    Don't go hell for leather at the start, a simple jog around the block then work to larger goals over the weeks. Same with press ups. Do 3 sets of 5 in the first week but every 2 days. If you do them every day, your body will not have time to create muscle and what you end up doing is being counter productive. Sleep and rest build muscles after exercise. Every 2 weeks, raise the number of press ups in the sets, ie 5, 8, 12 etc.

I've been serving for 9 years and found this method works for me, and I'm dark blue in every fitness test.

Regards
    D

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 26, 2016
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.