Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Did you leave home for Uni on good terms with your parents? Watch

ReputationRep:
    How many of you teenage Uni freshers left home for first day at Uni/dropped off at Uni...on good terms with your parents. As teenagers we are not the best to live with or tolerate. Did you miss your home and parents. Were your parents glad to see the back of you and see you only on breaks?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I left on very good terms. I have a bipolar mum and my parents are divorced so that meant at times my childhood was rather turbulent, and I ended up not always having a great relationship with them (although I've always generally been much closer to my mum, but I think son/mother relationship in general is stronger than the son/father one), but now at 19 I probably have a better relationship with my parents than I've ever had in my life.

ReputationRep:
    I can imagine going to uni will be pretty difficult for me and my Dad. We have a really close relationship and depend on one another alot. I presume it'll be emotional, but will be on good, if difficult terms.

ReputationRep:
    I left in the midst of a massive argument over nothing. I can't remember what but remember it being futile and idiotic, the only reason it occurred is because I refused to apologise when whatever I'd said was correct...

I found it to be a lot easier getting on with my parents after I'd left just because we weren't around each other as much so seeing each other noone wanted to proliferate arguments as we didn't get much time together (same with my brother really). It does get grating to go home for more than a week now though, the lack of freedom and independence gets old quickly.

I find most of my friends have the same thought w.r.t. the second paragraph...

ReputationRep:
    It was tough to see them leave but when I return home for weekends/holidays and nothing has changed. I'm very close to my parents and I don't consider myself to have really "left home."

ReputationRep:
    Yep I went to uni on good terms. Of course I was homesick at times. I only really go home for the holidays with one or two odd weekends here and then for special occasions. I think they might like it if I came home a bit more often but they understand how I'm busy at uni and enjoying myself up there so it isn't feasible to come home really often, especially with the price of train tickets. I get on better with my brother now (not that I didn't before) but we have a lot of "discussions" when we are at home which tends to get on Mum's nerves.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.