Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right now I'm facing a tough decision and any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Right now I got all decisions back as followings (ordered by formal reputation ).

1. University of Bristol : Economics and Mathematics : rejected
    2. University of Exeter : Economics : rejected
    3. University of Nottingham : Economics : unconditional
    4. Lancaster University : Economics and Mathematics : conditional
    5. University of York : Economics and Mathematics : unconditional

At first I came up with an idea to put either York or Not as firm and finish everything.

However, I heard from many people in my country that Exeter and Bristol are much more prestigious and well-respected than three others. Accordingly, I decided to apply for international diploma program at Exeter (INTO) which allows direct entry into second year for Business Economics. After that I did get an unconditional offer to take that program at Exeter.

Right now I'm having a great difficulty in choosing between prestigious Uni one like Exeter who used to reject me before and normal Uni like York or Not that gave me an offer to study my preferred course at first.

Many thanks for any help with my concern !!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    York and Nottingham are also very prestigious universities.

Go for the one you prefer the course of. They're all Russell Group, so I don't think prestige is to much of a concern.

Edit: Lancaster isn't Russell Group.

ReputationRep:
    Lancaster is not a Russell Group.

If it's prestige you want, I'd say either go for Nottingham or go for Exeter

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyeFaye)
    York and Nottingham are also very prestigious universities.

Go for the one you prefer the course of. They're all Russell Group, so I don't think prestige is to much of a concern.

Edit: Lancaster isn't Russell Group.
    Hello Thanks a lot for your advice !! ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    Lancaster is not a Russell Group.

If it's prestige you want, I'd say either go for Nottingham or go for Exeter
    Hello !! Many thanks for your suggestion. I might have to blend all factors together and see which one to go for. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Do the course that you want to do, don't do something you're not so keen on just to get into a "better uni".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Prospective UK)
    I heard from many people in my country that Exeter and Bristol are much more prestigious and well-respected than three others.
    I cannot say what is true for how these universities are perceived in your home country but in the UK there is very little to choose between these 5. Certainly it would be difficult to make a case for the idea that any one of these 5 is "much more respected" than any one of the others.

If I were pressed to say which two of these five were marginally more respected here (to the extent that this even makes sense) it would be Bristol + one other. But that other wouldn't be Exeter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StacFace)
    Do the course that you want to do, don't do something you're not so keen on just to get into a "better uni".
    I fully understand your point. I think York's course really suits my objective and they didn't reject me at the first time like 2 others. For Nottingham they changed my original program (from Math and Econ to only Econ) so I'm not sure whether I would fit in their course happily.

Many thanks ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambio wechsel)
    I cannot say what is true for how these universities are perceived in your home country but in the UK there is very little to choose between these 5. Certainly it would be difficult to make a case for the idea that any one of these 5 is "much more respected" than any one of the others.

If I were pressed to say which two of these five were marginally more respected here (to the extent that this even makes sense) it would be Bristol + one other. But that other wouldn't be Exeter.
    Thank you so much for your advice. Yeah I heard many people said that Economics for Not is relatively better than Exe and I saw someone in Student Room chose York over Exe in this field of study. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.