Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Okay ... I don't have Facebook or Twitter. The closest I've got to social networking was Bebo in year 9
    I'm in year 13 and there's a couple of people I really want to stay in touch with, and I think Facebook is the only way I can really do this.
    The thing is, I'm always been sort of, I dunno, proud? that I've never succumbed to the trend and got Facebook. I never wanted to be drawn into the craze of it.

Do you think it's worth me getting it? I wouldn't be using it to upload pictures or post statuses or anything like that, I'd only want to use it for the "chat" feature I've heard about. I'd only add the few people I want and I'd keep my friends list hidden. I'd keep everything as private as I could.

So honestly, do you think I should get FB? Bearing in mind I can't see any other way of keeping in touch with these people. Please reply, I need your opinions

(Also, is the "FB chat" thing actually any good? Is it basically instant messaging like msn was?)

ReputationRep:
    Not all things are to be avoided. Moderation is absolutely key, and it seems like you wish to exercise moderation. I see no problems in it. I have left facebook years ago, and never caught on to it. If i do want to keep in touch with a few friends, share ideas and views, i may return as well.

(Original post by MENDACIUM)
    Not all things are to be avoided. Moderation is absolutely key, and it seems like you wish to exercise moderation. I see no problems in it. I have left facebook years ago, and never caught on to it. If i do want to keep in touch with a few friends, share ideas and views, i may return as well.
    So you think I should get it?
    Gah, I really don't want to but if I don't, the consequences are severe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maid Marian)
    So you think I should get it?
    Gah, I really don't want to but if I don't, the consequences are severe.
    As long as you can revise for your exams and exercise self control. If you feel you can not, then the answer should be clear. If you feel you can, then i see no harm. It really is a decision only you can make

ReputationRep:
    1) The consequences won't be severe if you don't join
    2) Only you can decide

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't tbh, it get's really addictive, and even if you know it's a complete waste of time, you will find yourself scrolling up and down your wall to procrastinate. That might just be me... but I doubt it!

ReputationRep:
    plant your face in a book instead

ReputationRep:
    I de-activated my account 2 days ago. I spend too much time on there subconsciously doing absolutely nothing. I have realised how much free time I have now.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah definitely. When you get to uni pretty much everyone will have FB (I didn't get mine till I got there) and unfortunately many people have a tendency to look down upon those who don't have it/have a profile with about 10 friends and photos. Happened to me unfortunately, not particularly pleasant but that's just how judgmental some kids are :/. Also it makes it easier to stay in touch with people.

ReputationRep:
    Only if you're a girl and willing to post pics in your knickers

ReputationRep:
    You've gotten this far without it, honestly i don't think you should! It'll be fun, but it will waste your time really.

(Original post by Lukev)
    1) The consequences won't be severe if you don't join
    2) Only you can decide
    1) They will be, I will lose contact with someone who I desperately want to stay friends with.
    2) I know. I just don't know what to do.

(Original post by Ezekiella)
    Yeah definitely. When you get to uni pretty much everyone will have FB (I didn't get mine till I got there) and unfortunately many people have a tendency to look down upon those who don't have it/have a profile with about 10 friends and photos. Happened to me unfortunately, not particularly pleasant but that's just how judgmental some kids are :/. Also it makes it easier to stay in touch with people.
    That doesn't really worry me if I'm honest, because I'd keep my profile completely private anyway.

Do you use FB chat? If so, do you think it's any good?

ReputationRep:
    That doesn't really worry me if I'm honest, because I'd keep my profile completely private anyway.

Do you use FB chat? If so, do you think it's any good?
    Yeah all the time. I'd actually say it's another reason to get FB (lots of times you won't have someone's number but do have them on FB, so you can just message them instead)

ReputationRep:
    1) They will be, I will lose contact with someone who I desperately want to stay friends with.
    Ever heard of a phone?

ReputationRep:
    I've been on Facebook since 2007 (I was at Uni at the time and I think it was Uni friends who encouraged me to join) and I find it really useful for all sorts of things. For example, not only can I more easily keep in touch with both friends and relatives, I can get updates on interesting events and opportunities that I probably never would have heard of if I hadn't used Facebook. For those reasons, I'd say that it's definitely worth it for me and has helped me to improve my social life.

BTW, in response to all of the people who say that you can easily just spend time procrastinating on Facebook: I choose only to look at FB at a select few very particular times of the day. That way, I get all of the benefits of FB but don't just end up wasting time on it.

ReputationRep:
    Nahhh Facebook is silly, what about Skype?

ReputationRep:
    if I could go back to 2009, I would never have got it
    Highly useful, but easy to procrasinate, although i'm pretty good now. I havent been on since like last week.

ReputationRep:
    Get it if you think it will help you stay in touch. Just remember you are in control of how you use it.

ReputationRep:
    Its a brilliant way to stay in touch and have contact details of the people you know... Its also perfect for parties/events/gatherings to organise.
    for me if it is exam time and dont want to get distracted, all you need to do is deactivate, and then log back in when you decide... Just be aware of privacy settings

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.