Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

REALLY Combination Skin Help Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

So basically we all know what combination skin is, oily T-zone and try cheeks, neck etc well for me this is kind of extreme. My nose is moderately greasy but ok with make up on but I'm having a lot of break outs just to the right of my chin and along my jaw line. This just happens to be in the same area where I'm having an eczema flare up. I also have eczema all over my neck and I'm getting a few spots scattered throughout that too. I don't know what to use for it at all.

At the moment I'm using "Simple Spotless Skin" Facial Wash as well as their Rich Moisturiser and on the individual spots I've been putting the Garnier SOS Treatment Pen. I have a REN and a Soap and Glory mask that I alternate as well as a ST Ives scrub that I use occasionally.
    Nothing seems to be helping.

Any product recommendations that may help or just general advice?
    Preferably "drug store" as high end products are massively out of my budget at the moment. The REN Mask was a gift.

ReputationRep:
    I get the same thing, eczema and breakouts of spots in the same place. It's a nightmare.

As a facial wash, I've been using Clean and Clear 'Deep Action' cleanser in moderation. It doesn't have exfoliating beads in it, which makes it good (or less-bad) for the eczema (in general, avoid scrubs - it's exactly like scratching, except with chemicals...). I don't use a flannel, either, because rubbing it over the skin can make the eczema worse, so I just splash my face with water until the wash is off and then pat it dry.

For moisturiser, I use either E45 or Aveeno lotion. They're both things that are prescribed on the NHS for eczema, so maybe you can get a load of bottles on prescription. They'll both look a bit shiny at first, but they soak in fine. The Aveeno is more moisturising than the E45.

The basic thing with eczema is to use as little as possible on it. Using the spot treatments that you put directly onto the spot can work okay too, if you can totally avoid the eczema by just putting it right on the spot.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I tend to avoid clean and clear because I find them a bit too chemically but I may give it a go. Was considering going back to using Ultrabland by LUSH. It used to be my go to but that was before my skin got so messed up. Maybe a combination of the two would be useful. Next time I'm at the doctor for my prescriptions I'll ask her to add on E45 or something similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TangledRapunzel)
    Thanks, I tend to avoid clean and clear because I find them a bit too chemically but I may give it a go. Was considering going back to using Ultrabland by LUSH. It used to be my go to but that was before my skin got so messed up. Maybe a combination of the two would be useful. Next time I'm at the doctor for my prescriptions I'll ask her to add on E45 or something similar
    I just get Clean and Clear because it's one of the only cheap highstreet ones that doesn't have anything scratchy in it (and it's not got loads of things in it that make it lather well, which are particularly bad for eczema). The Ultrabland thing looks great, though, so I'd go for that. Might get some myself, actually, thanks for mentioning it

ReputationRep:
    There's a homeopathic cream that's good, it might be graphite, that's good for eczema. I used to get it really bad in my eyebrows for some reason and this helped.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dancinginrainbows)
    I just get Clean and Clear because it's one of the only cheap highstreet ones that doesn't have anything scratchy in it (and it's not got loads of things in it that make it lather well, which are particularly bad for eczema). The Ultrabland thing looks great, though, so I'd go for that. Might get some myself, actually, thanks for mentioning it
    The big tub is quite expensive, maybe nearly £10, but it lasts for a long time because a little goes a long way

(Original post by KBish)
    There's a homeopathic cream that's good, it might be graphite, that's good for eczema. I used to get it really bad in my eyebrows for some reason and this helped.
    Thanks, I'll google it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TangledRapunzel)
    The big tub is quite expensive, maybe nearly £10, but it lasts for a long time because a little goes a long way

Thanks, I'll google it

Just gonna second the ultrabland here, been using the small tub (£6) eery night since Christmas and I'm not een halfway through yet! I hae dry/slightly combination skin, but since using ultrabland, it's super smooth, soft and I swear I get less spots now, and barely any dry skin anymore too

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TaraBelle)
    Just gonna second the ultrabland here, been using the small tub (£6) eery night since Christmas and I'm not een halfway through yet! I hae dry/slightly combination skin, but since using ultrabland, it's super smooth, soft and I swear I get less spots now, and barely any dry skin anymore too
    My tub is nearly empty that's why I started using my other cleansers. Not sure what I'll do when it runs out. :'( (only have £1.05 to my name).

I've started using Hydrocortisone (sp?) on the eczema on my neck and thankfully it's clearing up.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.