Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has received 4 conditional offers to study law. We've together narrowed the choices to Queen Mary (A*AA), Birmingham(AAA) and Liverpool (ABB).
    Her predicted grades are AAB, but she feels that she could end up with an A*AB.
    Her first choice is Queen Mary.

Does anyone know how tough QM were with offers in 2012? Should my daughter put QM as her 1st choice? I'm not that keen about Liverpool Uni.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You sound like the one wanting to go to university.

ReputationRep:
    If I were her, I'd put Queen Mary as her first choice although I cannot comment on their leniency regarding grades and really push to achieve my best.

I'd put Birmingham as her insurance, a friend of mine has an offer from there and admissions have told her that they will considered accepting her with AAB. Obviously this isn't guaranteed and is definitely taking a risk, however if you're not sure about Liverpool at all, then it may be worth taking the chance. Living in Birmingham myself, I've been on many trips to the University and it's absolutely lovely. If you look under the Law Offers page, someone already has stated a conditional for A*AB.

ReputationRep:
    If she feels she could end up with A*AB then she wants to choose an insurance that is at least that low. Birmingham *might* accept her with A*AB but that's no guarantee and if they didn't accept her, then she would be going somewhere a lot worse than Liverpool (which, by the way, is a damned good university for Law).

I'm not sure about QMs leniency.

ReputationRep:
    Let your daughter do what she wants to do, it shouldn't matter whether you like her choices or not.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, all. Just hypothetically, suppose she didn't get her expected grades, and both QM and Birmingham withdrew their offers, what will she do then?
    Will it be a case of going into Clearing (which I don't fully comprehend) and hoping for the best?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tarzan)
    Thanks, all. Just hypothetically, suppose she didn't get her expected grades, and both QM and Birmingham withdrew their offers, what will she do then?
    Will it be a case of going into Clearing (which I don't fully comprehend) and hoping for the best?
    Yes, she will go into Clearing. That is if she wants to try and find somewhere, or take a gap year and resit some modules.

Liverpool is a fantastic place to live, lots and lots to do and see and experience. Please don't influence her decision, point out things that she might not have considered because she doesn't have the experience of thinking about certain things such as living costs, amenities etc, but let her come to her own conclusions, rather than going somewhere you approve of and then being unhappy there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)

(Original post by blueeyedgirl)
    Let your daughter do what she wants to do, it shouldn't matter whether you like her choices or not.

(Original post by madfish)
    its her life, not yours

stop being so bloody selfish
    I love how you three think that you have him figured out.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the OP's being selfish, though it is his daughter's choice I think it's good that she has a parent who wants to understand the application process and help her decide My parents had no clue about how UCAS worked!
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (When I applied to uni, you could get into law with AAA or AAB. How the system has changed!

Also I don't think the OP is being selfish. Every parent wants the best for her child and she's just looking for some advice. What's wrong with that? I'd do the same if I was a parent.)

I agree with what has been said above. You might get lucky and QM might take your daughter even if she doesn't meet the requirements. That said, Law is a popular degree choice and that might work against her favour in that case.

I'd tend to Firm QM and then have Liverpool as the insurance; that way if she gets her predicted grades she'll have at least 1 of her choices to go to. That beats 'Clearing' by a long margin.

If she excels in her results she could always reject all her choices, take a year out, reapply with her grades and apply to even more competitive universities.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    My daughter has received 4 conditional offers to study law. We've together narrowed the choices to Queen Mary (A*AA), Birmingham(AAA) and Liverpool (ABB).
    Her predicted grades are AAB, but she feels that she could end up with an A*AB.
    Her first choice is Queen Mary.

Does anyone know how tough QM were with offers in 2012? Should my daughter put QM as her 1st choice? I'm not that keen about Liverpool Uni.

Thanks!
    QM were in Law Clearing at AAB last year, whether that was a one off or not is impossible to tell.

Birmingham also were taking people in clearing, though not for Law, last year. This they appear to have made a particularly concerted effort to ensure they do manage to fill their courses come September, if this has been successful they could be strict come results day. They also gave out A*AB offers last year, though whether that show they're more amenable to it I don't know, given they changed away from it again this year.

ReputationRep:
    For helpful advice about how to make a sensible Firm/Insurance choice, your daughter should read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

For a good clear guide to Clearing, your daughter should read ALL of this : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    For helpful advice about how to make a sensible Firm/Insurance choice, your daughter should read: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

For a good clear guide to Clearing, your daughter should read ALL of this : http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Guide_to_Clearing

jkjkj
    You are allowed to read them also, Tarzan.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UKBrah)
    :lol: Classy stuff mate, classy stuff.

ReputationRep:
    For the people screaming at OP for being selfish, put a sock in it.

I'd be worried too if my son/daughter put down choices in which they couldn't even meet the conditions.

Anyway, if she really wants to go to QM, then make this the firm, but definitely keep in Liverpool there in case she doesn't make the grades. Don't wanna' be slipping at the final hurdle. Whatever happens, doing Law at Liverpool is much better than not doing Law at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    :lol: Classy stuff mate, classy stuff.
    I see my posts have turned you into a misc'er? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the advice. I guess its easy to be judgmental - we all do it!

I love Liverpool, having spent 10 years there. Its just that I've heard about the Uni's latest financial situation, and it is not very encouraging, especially for future prospects. Let's hope they come out of it.

I will read the information in the links - thanks again.

Ultimately, it will e my daughter's choice, but as a parent, I want her to make an informed choice, and if I can help her in any way, I will.

Any more suggestions gratefully received.

ReputationRep:

I love Liverpool, having spent 10 years there. Its just that I've heard about the Uni's latest financial situation, and it is not very encouraging, especially for future prospects. Let's hope they come out of it.
    What problems are these? Have you any links to articles I could read about them?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    In terms of insurance I'd suggest that one thing that is VERY important to look at is what accommodation guarantee each university offers to insurance students - it can be heartbreaking to find out you didn't get into your firm, to then find you either don't have anywhere to live or will have to share.

http://www.liv.ac.uk/accommodation/a...undergraduate/ and http://www.birmingham.ac.uk/students...guarantee.aspx give more details (though both are a bit vague - a phone call to their accommodation office to find out how many insurance students they AREN'T able to house most years would be a good idea).

QM was in clearing last year for law - but only for their law with a year abroad course (http://www.qmul.ac.uk/undergraduate/...ses/79918.html ) - if that course would be an option your daughter would be interested in then there's no harm in letting QM know that in early August so that *if* she misses her offer AND they can't take her on her applied for course then they will consider her for the course they tend to have space on before they reject her.

As ever it is better to have a firm and insurance that your daughter would be HAPPY to go to - even if both ask for the same/close grades - than to end up committed to a university she'd be unhappy to be at. In some cases it's better to only have a firm and no insurance and decide from the start to look at clearing or reapply if you don't get into your chosen choice.

BPP, Cardiff, East Anglia, Essex, Kent, Leicester, Liverpool, Manchester, Northumbria, Southampton, Surrey and Sussex were all advertising M100 in clearing last year (as were a number of newer UK unis and some very good scottish and welsh universities) - many with guaranteed accommodation.

ReputationRep:
    PQ, Can't thank you enough for this info. This gives us a much better idea of what to do next.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.