Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi everyone, I'm currently deciding between studying medicine at either Newcastle or Sheffield university. Although I feel Newcastle is probably the better medical school the thought of moving out from home for Uni I'd attracting me more towards Sheffield. Whats your opinion on moving out and what would you do in my position?

N.B. I've lived in Newcastle all my life

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I would not have gone to uni if I could not live out.

It is such a great experience to move out. You can still have great support from the uni if you need it but there is nothing like living on your own. You pretty much live your own way.

Got a mate who is stuck at home going to the uni I put as my second choice (we lived too close to get accommodation)

complaints about travelling back and forth. Complaints about not being allowed to go out or come home at strange hours in the morning.

I found it to essentially be a stepping stone between living at home and moving out properly. Especially being in halls. You have most of the freedom you would have if you moved out but all the support you could need through the uni. Great experience. Get out of your comfort zone and experience a new location!

ReputationRep:
    Id say its a part of the uni experience. Going to university is about becoming independent as well as studying.

ReputationRep:
    Very important, IMHO.

A big part of going to university is the 'going away to' bit. It's a crash course in independent living, with some of the less nice edges taken off (redundancy, having to pay bills separately etc.) and people learn a lot from it. Plus, you get the added spontaneity that comes from living that close to uni, and it's easier to make friends.

To quote the grandmother of one cousin who chose to stay at home for uni, "it's like she's just going to a glorified version of school".

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.