The Student Room Group

Dilemma over A-Level choices.

Hey guys. :smile: Yep, another one of these threads. Sorry. :biggrin:

A couple of days ago I was accepted into the best ''no fee'' school in Derbyshire. They get the 3rd best GCSE results in the county, that is including the private schools. So amazed to had got in, as you can imagine.

Here's the problem.

I applied to do History, English Literature, GandP and Geography. My back up was RS.

They have offered me History, English Literature, Government and Politics and RS. Now, I have no problems doing these subjects, I just feel like I really need to do Geography, I sent them an email and they replied saying I was offered RS as Geography is over subscribed (I imagine they want people to do RS too..)

Now, I'm aware that you drop a subject as you enter Year 13. I'm not a massive fan of English Literature, I enjoy it when I'm doing it and I'm good at it, but I wouldn't say I'm hugely passionate about it and enjoy reading. That means I'd take History, Government and Politics and Religious Studies as my A-Levels. That sounds pretty weak to me.. How would Universities look at them A-Levels? I feel if it was History, Government and Politics and Geography it would be better.

Its easy to say ''Go to another one if they don't fit your options'' but maybe going to a school of this quality would be the difference of me achieving a ABB instead of a BBB or whatever. I'm really stuck. I have no problems doing RS, History and Government and Politics, but those 3 are not the strongest subjects to Universities or when looking for work.

What would you advice?
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Jack59
Hey guys. :smile: Yep, another one of these threads. Sorry. :biggrin:

A couple of days ago I was accepted into the best ''no fee'' school in Derbyshire. They get the 3rd best GCSE results in the county, that is including the private schools. So amazed to had got in, as you can imagine.

Here's the problem.

I applied to do History, English Literature, GandP and Geography. My back up was RS.

They have offered me History, English Literature, Government and Politics and RS. Now, I have no problems doing these subjects, I just feel like I really need to do Geography, I sent them an email and they replied saying I was offered RS as Geography is over subscribed (I imagine they want people to do RS too..)

Now, I'm aware that you drop a subject as you enter Year 13. I'm not a massive fan of English Literature, I enjoy it when I'm doing it and I'm good at it, but I wouldn't say I'm hugely passionate about it and enjoy reading. That means I'd take History, Government and Politics and Religious Studies as my A-Levels. That sounds pretty weak to me.. How would Universities look at them A-Levels? I feel if it was History, Government and Politics and Geography it would be better.

Its easy to say ''Go to another one if they don't fit your options'' but maybe going to a school of this quality would be the difference of me achieving a ABB instead of a BBB or whatever. I'm really stuck. I have no problems doing RS, History and Government and Politics, but those 3 are not the strongest subjects to Universities or when looking for work.

What would you advice?

Both History and Religious Studies are highly regarded. Politics not so much, but you have the other two as compensation. As long as you're not looking to do a Science or Maths course or the like, you should be fine and they're good subjects.
I think you need to examine why you're having a problem with RS:

Option 1 - "Geography is more relevant to what I want to do/more enjoyable" - fair enough reasons, go to a different school and do it if it matters to you in this way. Ultimately it's more important what you do than what school you go to provided you are a strong enough candidate to perform as well in another school.

Option 2 - "RS is a weak subject" - this is not a good reason, as RS is not looked down upon by universities and is considered of about equal merit as History. If this is your sole objection to the choice then suck it up and accept the place.
Reply 3
Which college is it, may i ask?
Reply 4
Original post by DJMayes
I think you need to examine why you're having a problem with RS:

Option 1 - "Geography is more relevant to what I want to do/more enjoyable" - fair enough reasons, go to a different school and do it if it matters to you in this way. Ultimately it's more important what you do than what school you go to provided you are a strong enough candidate to perform as well in another school.

Option 2 - "RS is a weak subject" - this is not a good reason, as RS is not looked down upon by universities and is considered of about equal merit as History. If this is your sole objection to the choice then suck it up and accept the place.

I'm not having a problem with studying RS, I will enjoy it and I am fascinated by the course on offer which revolves around Buddhism. I honestly thought RS was viewed as a ''lesser' subject by universities, so I guess its good to hear that.

I guess History, Politics and RS isn't great employment wise though, is it?
Original post by Jack59
I'm not having a problem with studying RS, I will enjoy it and I am fascinated by the course on offer which revolves around Buddhism. I honestly thought RS was viewed as a ''lesser' subject by universities, so I guess its good to hear that.

I guess History, Politics and RS isn't great employment wise though, is it?

Your A Levels are irrelevant to your future employment; it's your degree that matters, and I have never heard a university say that they dislike RS.

(I don't know employment prospects for degrees, and if you're worried about this then you should look into which subjects you would be looking into doing at degree level along with their average graduate salaries. It might be useful for you to find out explicitly from them which A levels they prefer for said degrees as well.)
Reply 6
Original post by Ibeatu
Which college is it, may i ask?

Ecclesbourne.

Quick Reply

Latest