Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm in year 11 and really struggling in gcse French. I only chose it for the ebacc, as my school over exaggerated on how desirable the ebacc is to universities. I wish I chose nvq French but that's not a gcse. Initially I was predicted a B in French, which was lowered to a C in year 10. Now it's lowered to a grade D. Last year we did one speaking assessments, which I got a grade E In. In the one writing assessment we did last year, I got a grade d. Now in year 11, I did another writing, and got another D, 1 mark off a C which I guess is an improvement compared to be low D I got last year. I did another speaking this year, and got another E, on the topic holidays which is Apparently the easiest topic of all to do a speaking assessment on. I've genuinely tried my all in these FRench assements, and have dedicated a lot of time trying to learn them. I genuinely just can't speak French. However last year we did two exam mock papers ( we will do these papers in may this year as a real exam.) I didn't revise for either of them as it was only a mock and In the listening exam paper I got a C, and in the reading exam I got a C too. I think this isn't too bad considering I didn't revise at all and this was last year. Here is the course structure for French:
    assessments= 60%,
    two speaking are submitted and they each are worth 15% each.
    And two writing are submitted at 15% each.
    And the reading and listening exam paper, are worth 20% each.

So I'm wondering, if they submit my two grade e's in two of my speaking assessments, and my two D's in my writing ( one of the D's was only a mark off a c)
    And if I get two b's in my 40% exam, then overall in gcse French can I get a grade C?? Would this be possible?
    We are preparing for another speaking in class right now, but I see no point whatsoever in trying again, French assessments are really just not for me. I've wasted enough time trying to learn these stupid essays and I still get a grade e and d. So I don't see why I should put aside another subject for French assessments. So also-can I refuse to do another speaking assessment? She can submit my two e's if she wants. She can't MAKE me do it can she, she said the exam board want two speaking asseessments, and that's what I've done. So she can't submit a U can she? It helps ive got such a snooty teacher. shes french herself so assumes we all easily u understand the work. she was off for two months too, she hurt her back by "lifting too many Exercise books" apparently. Sorry about long post and thanks for your help! X

ReputationRep:
    Hey PinkPanda19,

I do GCSE french as part of the Ebacc, but we were forced to do it! From your post, I can tell that you are doing Edexcel GCSE French, and I have to say that I did my two speakings on "Mes Vaccances" (Holidays) and "La Sante" (Health), in fact I did La Sante yesterday and Mes Vaccances today, and I have to say that I found La Sante easier. There is a formula that I like to use to calculate my final grades, and I have done it for you;

0.3*28+0.3*34+46*0.4=37

Allow me to run you through what I have done;

Firstly, I convert your grades into their GCSE points equivalent using this;
    A* = 58
    A = 52
    B = 46
    C = 40
    D = 34
    E = 28
    F = 22
    G = 16

And then I multiply that by the percentage that grade gives to your course;

So 30% Speaking, 30% Writing and 40% Exams and then the output number (37) shows what grade you will get and then I just use the scale to see that would give you a D grade in French. I probably shouldn't be saying this, but why not just ask your teacher or the Curriculum Manager if you can just read the answers off a sheet because most do let you, especially if you are either ill (like me) or bad at french.

But all in all, they can't make you do another speaking if you don't want to, but they will try and persuade you to. Just remain mature and don't get angry, and try to reason with them. If that fails, just find the class A* student (Every class has one) and get them to help you.

Have a great Easter
    AdvancedNothing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AdvancedNothing)
    Hey PinkPanda19,

I do GCSE french as part of the Ebacc, but we were forced to do it! From your post, I can tell that you are doing Edexcel GCSE French, and I have to say that I did my two speakings on "Mes Vaccances" (Holidays) and "La Sante" (Health), in fact I did La Sante yesterday and Mes Vaccances today, and I have to say that I found La Sante easier. There is a formula that I like to use to calculate my final grades, and I have done it for you;

0.3*28+0.3*34+46*0.4=37

Allow me to run you through what I have done;

Firstly, I convert your grades into their GCSE points equivalent using this;
    A* = 58
    A = 52
    B = 46
    C = 40
    D = 34
    E = 28
    F = 22
    G = 16

And then I multiply that by the percentage that grade gives to your course;

So 30% Speaking, 30% Writing and 40% Exams and then the output number (37) shows what grade you will get and then I just use the scale to see that would give you a D grade in French. I probably shouldn't be saying this, but why not just ask your teacher or the Curriculum Manager if you can just read the answers off a sheet because most do let you, especially if you are either ill (like me) or bad at french.

But all in all, they can't make you do another speaking if you don't want to, but they will try and persuade you to. Just remain mature and don't get angry, and try to reason with them. If that fails, just find the class A* student (Every class has one) and get them to help you.

Have a great Easter
    AdvancedNothing
    hi, thank u for your reply! Sorry I should have mentioned-my exam board is actually OCR. Do u know whether it would still be an overall D now? Our speaking topics were holidays and my family, and the next speaking we are doing is on school and our timetables and inform etc. I really see no point in spending more time on French, if I have tried and still get an E. our school is really strict on rules and my teacher is pretty strict too, she wouldn't allow me to copy from my sheet. The only sheet I'm allowed is the 40 word sheet, yet I still really struggle even when I use it. I have tried asking my teacher about whether I can get an overall c using the grades like I said, but she's really unhelpful and said she doesn't know as the grade boundaries change. I wasn't asking for a promise from her that I can get the c, I only wanted to know if it may be achievable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkPanda19)
    hi, thank u for your reply! Sorry I should have mentioned-my exam board is actually OCR. Do u know whether it would still be an overall D now? Our speaking topics were holidays and my family, and the next speaking we are doing is on school and our timetables and inform etc. I really see no point in spending more time on French, if I have tried and still get an E. our school is really strict on rules and my teacher is pretty strict too, she wouldn't allow me to copy from my sheet. The only sheet I'm allowed is the 40 word sheet, yet I still really struggle even when I use it. I have tried asking my teacher about whether I can get an overall c using the grades like I said, but she's really unhelpful and said she doesn't know as the grade boundaries change. I wasn't asking for a promise from her that I can get the c, I only wanted to know if it may be achievable.
    Hi there, unfortunately, due to the weighting of the course, yes it would still be a D. I totally get that there is no point busting your back for french when you probably (like me) have 11 non french exams this summer, and my performance in 5 of them decide what happens to me next year. Your teacher does seem to be making things awkward with the grade boundaries change, but then I can see what she means because if one of your CAs go up a grade, that could mean that you do get a C. All I can say is to try your hardest, and if you come out with a D, so be it. Don't be downhearted by it, and just be safe in the thought that you tried your best and it just didn't pay off for you.

AdvancedNothing

ReputationRep:
    Hi i am also in a similar position. I am in year 11 and have already completed 2 french oral exams and 3 french writing exams (one of which i did this week). I have spoken to my teacher on several occasions about the level of stress doing these exams cause me, especially the speaking ones. She told me that if i boosted my last writing grade this time i wouldn't have to then do a speaking.
    I got an A and a B in my previous speakings
    And a B and a C in my writings
    Because my teacher believes me to be 'an A grade student' she is persisting to essentially force me into doing another speaking exam due to the fact i got a low b on the last one i did. I had agreed i would do another writing exam due to the fact she had said my previous drafts are A grade quality. And i am essentially being marked down due to accuracy and lack of memory (which to me is riduclous).
    However i am determined i will not be doing yet another speaking exam and am happy within myself for her to send off my previous exams. My mum has also been in contact with her so maybe you could try that?
    But no they can not force you to do anything, even if you don't turn up to the exam (which i intend on doing) and get a U they can't do anything about it, no matter how much they preach their disappointment in you, if it is the best for you then do that. Personally i struggle with alot of mental health problems and severe anxiety and therefore feel extremely proud i have managed to do the past ones. And i would much rather foucs on other things, as i imagine you also have alot of mocks and revision to do in order to prepare for you GCSES too. Good luck and i wish you the best xx

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.