Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm in my last year of Uni, and my fiance and I are hoping to get married shortly after Uni because we are going to move to the same country. We've been long distance for a while now, but have already lived together before we were long distance and we are ready for marriage. I can't wait to be married to him and spend the rest of my life with him, and while a wedding isn't super important to us (it's about the marriage, not the wedding), it is important to our families that we hold a celebration since I will be leaving my home country for my fiance.

The thing is, we are currently living in different countries, which makes it difficult to plan a wedding. We are holding it in my country because my family is bigger and I'm the one doing the majority of the planning, so it just makes sense. I'm just worried that my grades will start slipping if I do this while trying to finish my final year and my fiance can't really help me with much while he's across an ocean finishing up his own degree.

Any ideas on how I can juggle both Uni and a wedding? I wish I could be more excited about the planning aspect!

ReputationRep:
    I don't know about advice other than the exceptionally unhelpful "Just Crack on"

Weddings don't have to be grand, complex affairs, sometimes simple weddings can be made brilliant by a little bit of taste, a nice enough venue and wonderful family.

Planning a wedding should only really become a problem and start leaking into other areas of your life if you start planning something grand or huge, just give yourself simple aims buy a folder and create lists..lots of lists(that's what I did) and just start ticking them of bit by bit untill you have reached your goal.

Don't let the planning comsume you, sit down with your folder and start organizing things when you have a bit of free time or when your in a good mood.
    Otherwise it becomes a chore that "needs to get done" and just one more thing on your busy shecudle, which is not what planning your big day should be about.

In brief

1)Don't plan to grand
    2)Orginize and track your goals and needs
    3)Aproach it as something to make you relaxed and happy, not as a chore or looming catastrophe.

Every wedding is different, as is every individual, I got mine done with minimal stress, and I hope you can do the same.

Best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    Three Mile Sprint has good advice. Anything too big could really throw you off, so it's best to try for something relaxed. Anything crazy is just going to be a hassle, and sometimes the nicest weddings are the ones where everything is simple and elegant.

Good luck and congratulations!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gwendolynxo)
    Ok so I'm in my last year of Uni, and my fiance and I are hoping to get married shortly after Uni because we are going to move to the same country. We've been long distance for a while now, but have already lived together before we were long distance and we are ready for marriage. I can't wait to be married to him and spend the rest of my life with him, and while a wedding isn't super important to us (it's about the marriage, not the wedding), it is important to our families that we hold a celebration since I will be leaving my home country for my fiance.

The thing is, we are currently living in different countries, which makes it difficult to plan a wedding. We are holding it in my country because my family is bigger and I'm the one doing the majority of the planning, so it just makes sense. I'm just worried that my grades will start slipping if I do this while trying to finish my final year and my fiance can't really help me with much while he's across an ocean finishing up his own degree.

Any ideas on how I can juggle both Uni and a wedding? I wish I could be more excited about the planning aspect!
    Congratulations first of all! Have you thought about a wedding planner perhaps? Where abouts do you live because my sister is a freelance wedding planner; planning on making it her full time job onces she's had her baby. Shet ries to cut your costs and work to your budget; she knows brilliant and fairly cheap people who can design your dress for you. http://www.myweddingangel.co.uk/ (I'm even in the video :P)
    Just an idea.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 29, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.