Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I'm a first year mechanical engineering student, whose currently studying for exams in the summer. But the thing is, I'm really not enjoying my course. I put a lot of research into picking this degree, as I thought it would be suited to me, but so far it's not been what I was expecting.

I'm seven months into it now, averaging 58%, and apart from my mathematics modules and lab reports I really don't understand the rest of my course. Adding to this, I'm really bored in the majority of my lectures, and don't understand a lot of the content. I've been studying for about 3 hours today, and I don't feel like I've learnt a thing.

The thing is though, I really don't want to drop out, because I actually love the university I'm at, and I've made some great friends. Furthermore, I've been thinking about doing a Maths degree for ages, because Maths is the one thing I'm actually decent at on my course (plus can actually be bothered to revise, since I enjoy it), but by now it's definitely too late to apply for one for next year. So I can't drop out, can't change course until next year and I don't think I could do another year of what I'm doing at the moment.

I did Maths and Further at A2, and got an A* and an A. I revised really hard for them, but I actually kind of enjoyed it near the end, as opposed to this which is just not interesting to me,

Help?

ReputationRep:
    Too late to apply? Perhaps through UCAS, but I imagine there must be some structure in place through the university to permit this change.

You could look at switching, if that's the right choice for you. You'd still be able to hang around with your friends (are you getting a house next year?) and if they do a placement, which many do, then you'd end up graduating at the same time as well.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.