Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am studying in AS and going to apply for Computer Science at uni. However I currently have no experience at all about the course. I wanted to join the summer course at Cambridge Uni but the application deadline has passed so I can't join it this summer. Shall I read those books that are suggested by the uni ? Are there any activities that can provide me some experience with this course. Pls help, thanks.

ReputationRep:
    well pretty much all computer science courses expect you to join with no programming knowledge whatsoever, in fact it's somewhat better not to have any. When you are there you will be taught how to write code neatly and eloquently, and if you get into bad habits by trying to learn yourself, that may be difficult to break out of.

I went to an open day and overheard a professor talking to a prospective student about visual basic. his exact response to that was "Well, we better get all those bad habits out of your head then"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomWija)
    well pretty much all computer science courses expect you to join with no programming knowledge whatsoever, in fact it's somewhat better not to have any. When you are there you will be taught how to write code neatly and eloquently, and if you get into bad habits by trying to learn yourself, that may be difficult to break out of.
    I agree, I think a lot of the people who say 'I can't program to save my life' are like that because they either tried to teach themselves badly or they have a bad teacher.

If possible I'd say maybe try and get a job at a local computer shop or IT place (or even volunteer). This will help you learn more, make you look good on your personal statement and uni application, and you can put it on your CV. Remember that the time you spend at uni isn't just to get a degree, you should use your time to expand your CV or portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to impress for interviews and the like then I would suggest learning a functional language like Haskell or maybe a logic based one like Prolog they are different paradigms to the main languages you will use for most of your programming but will still teach you how to think about problems and code elegant solutions.

Getting your head around recursion before you start the degree will save you a few weeks of headbanging pain guaranteed.

This alone is a great reason to learn Haskell.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.