Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hi people, I'm a prospective child nursing student and should be starting university this September. Obviously I have to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B. I went to my GP and they said they don't offer the vaccine for occupational purposes and referred me to the hospital. I rang the hospital and they told me they charge £46 per injection which I need 3 of and a further £30 for a blood test! How ridiculous! Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else is having similar problems or if anyone knows how I can get my injections for free? P.S my friend is getting her injection for free from her GP 😡

ReputationRep:
    Have you actually been told to arrange your own vaccinations?! As far as I am aware the university only requires you to get a list of what vaccinations you have previously had from your GP. That information will be past on to the universities occupational health service who will then invite you in for whatever vaccinations you need, free of charge!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danniitb)
    Have you actually been told to arrange your own vaccinations?! As far as I am aware the university only requires you to get a list of what vaccinations you have previously had from your GP. That information will be past on to the universities occupational health service who will then invite you in for whatever vaccinations you need, free of charge!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
    This

ReputationRep:
    Well I got mine for free so it varies from GP to GP. Also, the OH division of my uni does free hep B vaccinations anyway, it's probably the same for yours so I'd phone them up.
    • PS Helper
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I can only speak for medical school rather than nursing, but we were just told to provide a list of our previous vaccinations ; the university occupational health department arranged for us to receive any vaccinations we didn't have, I believe at no cost to ourselves. Check whether you have to provide your own - it seems unlikely that they would expect you to pay for an occupational vaccine.
    Didn't help me though, I'd already shelled out the £180-odd to get HepB for a remote holiday...

ReputationRep:
    Well at least they will last for years, then you can usually just get a booster to extend it before another main one. I had this for going on holiday, yeah its a little price for initial cost, but at least they don't really hurt.

ReputationRep:
    I did try ring and ask but I was transferred back and forth from admissions to the OH department! But on my letter it did say they required us to be vaccinated prior to the start of the course. I shall try ringing them again. Thanks for the replies though- appreciate it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sannah.x)
    Hi people, I'm a prospective child nursing student and should be starting university this September. Obviously I have to be vaccinated against Hepatitis B. I went to my GP and they said they don't offer the vaccine for occupational purposes and referred me to the hospital. I rang the hospital and they told me they charge £46 per injection which I need 3 of and a further £30 for a blood test! How ridiculous! Anyway just wanted to know if anyone else is having similar problems or if anyone knows how I can get my injections for free? P.S my friend is getting her injection for free from her GP 😡
    Contact your uni to see whether they offer the vaccinations too. My uni has recommended getting them done at my local doctors but they did say, if you have to pay, wait and the uni will do it. Hope this helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I will do!

ReputationRep:
    When I went to Hertfordshire Uni they say do not in any way pay for these vaccinations! The GP or hospital should do them for free for prospective students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseasrose)
    When I went to Hertfordshire Uni they say do not in any way pay for these vaccinations! The GP or hospital should do them for free for prospective students.
    Hey, that's were I got my info from lol. You applied for nursing there?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseasrose)
    No.
    Vaccinations for prospective health-care students is not NHS funded - it's the Occupational Health department of the employer/university or individual's responsibility. But some GPs may do it for free as a courtesy.

Which vaccinations are free on the NHS?
    More about Hep B Vaccination specifically.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.