Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If they ask you what you want to be in 5 years, don't say a chartered accountant. Say a 'qualified' accountant.

Reason being I said I wanted to be a chartered accountant, and the interviewer said 'Definitely chartered? Not certified or [something else]'. I said yes definitely chartered.

What I didn't realise was 'Chartered' refers to the ACA qualification, Certified refers to the ACCA qualification etc. I thought a certified accountant would be a lower standard than a chartered accountant. I thought any accountant who had passed the exams (ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc) was chartered.

Anyone shed some light?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Runninground)
    If they ask you what you want to be in 5 years, don't say a chartered accountant. Say a 'qualified' accountant.

Reason being I said I wanted to be a chartered accountant, and the interviewer said 'Definitely chartered? Not certified or [something else]'. I said yes definitely chartered.

What I didn't realise was 'Chartered' refers to the ACA qualification, Certified refers to the ACCA qualification etc. I thought a certified accountant would be a lower standard than a chartered accountant. I thought any accountant who had passed the exams (ACA, ACCA, CIMA etc) was chartered.

Anyone shed some light?
    Doesn't ACCA stand for the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants? I would have though you could comfortable use the word chartered when referring to either qualification personally, but I might be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by M1011)
    Doesn't ACCA stand for the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants? I would have though you could comfortable use the word chartered when referring to either qualification personally, but I might be wrong.
    Yeah, and CIMA stands for 'Chartered Institute of Management Accountants' or something. I was using 'Chartered' to mean having a professional qualification, but apparently each qualification has a specific title :confused::confused:

ReputationRep:
    From my experience generally when people say chartered they do mean ACA and they usually refer to the others by their name I.e ACCA CIMA or management accountant etc

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to finance and bankingGuide to accountancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

ICAEW

"Choose a career journey with limitless possibilities."

Quick link:

Unanswered finance and accountancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.