Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In an experiment how can I check if decomposition complete? I know the mass will decrease but how will I know it's completed?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you know your starting mass and the product you expect to be left with, you should be able to calculate the expected mass once decomposition is complete.

You just need to use mole calculations and have an accurate balance.

ReputationRep:
    To check decomposition is complete, you heat to a constant mass. So you heat it and weigh the mass of the residue, repeating this procedure until the mass of the residue is constant and does not change.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    If gas is given off, you can measure the gas using a syringe. Record your readings and plot a graph, you will then see the point (with respect to time) where the volume of gas evolved decreases.

Meh, something along the lines of this anyway.

Or you could measure the mass of the starting product and check at regular intervals when the mass decreases to 0?

But the latter is probably not gonna work, because you always gotta take your test tube away from the bunsen.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.