Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Biggest problem faced by the world right now? Watch

ReputationRep:
    So today I was asked by my teacher to do a short essay on "The biggest problem faced by the world right now?" however I don't really have a clue what to write about. So if you could give me some suggestions that would be great! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ninjamonkey7)
    So today I was asked by my teacher to do a short essay on "The biggest problem faced by the world right now?" however I don't really have a clue what to write about. So if you could give me some suggestions that would be great! Thanks
    Mass immigration into white countries and only white countries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by democracyforum)
    Mass immigration into white countries and only white countries.
    Are you being serious?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Overpopulation and water scarcity/food shortages.

Energy problems will follow.

ReputationRep:
    Dr Manhattan

Then essentially write out the plot of Watchmen from the perspective of Adrian Veidt

ReputationRep:
    How about American/White people's influence on other cultures?

Edit: Perhaps I mean 'westernisation' of other cultures.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't realise we had so many problems thanks for the help as well!

ReputationRep:
    Food.

Famine. Malnutrition. Obesity. Gluttony. Anorexia. Genetic modification. Monsanto-monopoly. Climate change. Bio-fuels. Species extinction. Human overpopulation.

Deep down, if you think well, everything is related to food.

ReputationRep:
    The imminent collapse of "fiat currency", the extreme measures governments are starting to take in a futile attempt to stave it off (a la Cyprus) and the widespread civil unrest that is going to ensue when people's money suddenly becomes worthless.

ReputationRep:
    Overpopulation leading to:

• Inadequate fresh water
    • Depletion of natural resources, especially fossil fuels.
    • Increased levels of air pollution.
    • Deforestation.
    • Changes in atmospheric composition and consequent global warming.
    • Irreversible loss of arable land.
    • Mass species extinctions.
    • High infant and child mortality.
    • Intensive factory farming.
    • Increased chance of the emergence of new epidemics and pandemics.
    • Starvation, malnutrition.
    • Poverty.
    • Low life expectancy in countries with fastest growing populations.
    • Unhygienic living conditions.
    • Elevated crime rate.
    • Conflict over scarce resources and crowding, leading to increased levels of warfare.
    • Less personal freedom and more restrictive laws.

Source: wikipedia

Overpopulation is likely to be the cause of many problems in the future, and I think the greatest issue is that nobody has yet proposed an ethical solution to the problem. I don't think it is ethically resolvable without violating many peoples deep ethical principles, only a very strict utilitarian argument can be used to support what needs to be done and I think in reality nothing will be done until it is too late. Unfortunately I think bad times are coming, I'm not talking 2030-2050 but around 2100-2300 there are going to be some serious issues that need to be addressed.

(Maybe cold fusion could save us?)

ReputationRep:
    Religion and its ****ing venomous stranglehold

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Super Cicero)
    Nonsense. Malthus predicted population was about to exceed resources back in the 18th century and that there would be a terrible crisis. There was no such crisis then and there will be none in the future.

The biggest problem faced by the world is the decline of Christianity in developed countries.
    This is another nonsensical claim. Malthus's prediction didn't come true for the whole world, because the use of technology has been delaying the time it takes for diminishing marginal returns to set in-- but they will set in sooner or later, eventually.

Look at the poverty-ridden countries of Africa or Latin America or South Asia. They HAVE been recipients of the Malthusian catastrophe, precisely because they didn't benefit from that technology. Their lands couldn't cater for the growing numbers to feed.

ReputationRep:
    It's difficult to say whether scope or immediacy is the governing factor in what we could consider the "biggest problem". If it were by scope, I'd say our energy crisis (although seemingly not immediate) really will tear our world asunder. As for immediacy, I'd raise three issues: unequal distributional of necessities (i.e. food and water), political corruption and incompetence.

(Original post by Alpha510)
    Food.

Famine. Malnutrition. Obesity. Gluttony. Anorexia. Genetic modification. Monsanto-monopoly. Climate change. Bio-fuels. Species extinction. Human overpopulation.

Deep down, if you think well, everything is related to food.
    Lol. I like how a psychological illness that affects a minute fraction of (mostly) western economies is included alongside famine and extinction.

ReputationRep:
    Illuminati.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamHedges)
    How about American/White people's influence on other cultures?
    Really? Seriously?

I like a good rant about Americans any day, but get real. There's nothing worse than people who think "white people" are the cause of all human suffering.

ReputationRep:
    David Cameron

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jumpingjesusholycow)

Lol. I like how a psychological illness that affects a minute fraction of (mostly) western economies is included alongside famine and extinction.
    Fashion, my friend. How plastic surgery has emerged as a fad is pretty scary enough. Wait for anorexia.

ReputationRep:
    You could think out of the box by writing about 'society' and the size zero culture. How people have to act a certain way and if they don't they're either weird or given a title. How people feel they have to look a certain way and role models of children are the likes of skinny celebrities.

Climate change and the extinction of many species- many species will be extinct before they're discovered. You could talk about the amazon rain forest/logging and how many species are deplaced leading in extinction and many medicines are from sources within the rainforest. A plant maybe growing in the depths of the rain forest undiscovered and yet it may never be discovered; that plant maybe the cure for cancer.

Water is a massive issue as many countries fight over it and charge the people a huge amount to access clean water. http://getrevising.co.uk/resources/e..._supply_part_a <-- that might help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alpha510)
    Fashion, my friend. How plastic surgery has emerged as a fad is pretty scary enough. Wait for anorexia.

wat.

ReputationRep:
    Justin Bieber.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.