Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

recently quit heroin - want to defer a couple of exams Watch

ReputationRep:
    hey,

i've been a heroin addict for a couple of years, and recently quit. i did my first year of uni, then had a couple of years off due to mental health issues, and became an addict during that time. i got clean before returning to uni last year, but relapsed when i moved back to uni (in london). did my second year but was a full blown addict the whole time. as you can imagine, i missed a lot of classes.

i am now clean, but my chances of doing well in my upcoming exams are not so good. i want to defer a couple of them, you have to give the reason, and am anxious about telling my university that i've been an addict (whilst studying there). what do you i should do? do you think my university will kick me out, or let me defer them, or not?

i would like to speak with my personal tutor about it, but am unsure what level of confidentiality there exists there. my biggest concern is that they find out, and then kick me out.

please keep any righteous judgements to yourself - i'm guilty enough as it is.

thanks for any advice.

ReputationRep:
    Be honest with them. It's not something they will - or can - hold against you. It's a health problem that cannot be overlooked. If you receive written confirmation from doctors stating that your studying has been impeded by the addiction, relapse and recovery, then I cannot see why they wouldn't let you defer.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's something they can kick you out for - an addiction is a health problem after all. See your personal tutor and emphasise that, and see what happens. I'm not guaranteeing your exams can or will be deferred though.

ReputationRep:
    I think addiction is a perfectly legitimate reason for deferring exams.
    Just be upfront and honest. Surely there are certain confidentiality rules between you and your tutor so you could ask them for advice first.
    Don't be ashamed, you've come a long way to come off heroin completely and its very admirable that it hasn't put you off your education which you're clearly still passionate about.
    Good luck and well done!

ReputationRep:
    thanks for your replies - i checked my uni's policy and there is confidentiality between personal tutor and student, so am going to meet with them for some advice.

i have already spoken to my keyworker (the person i see at a drug clinic for treatment) and they have said they can provide a letter about it, i also go to narcotics anonymous but probably can't get a letter from them as it's very decentralised.

ReputationRep:
    Quitting heroin is NO JOKE. I'm pretty certain they will be understanding about it.

ReputationRep:
    I had a similar issue but with gambling and drinking.

I do pose the question to you though, if you get clean and then relapse when you start to actually get somewhere in life then are you REALLY in the right frame of mind to complete a degree?

You should certainly put in a request to defer exams but ultimately you have to figure out whether or not you can actually complete the course, and whether you need any sort of support to help you achieve your goals.

The university may take the approach that they can give your place to someone who will actually put in the work and to be honest how can you argue against such a decision. You have to prove to uni and yourself that you can get over this sort of thing, if you can't then I would consider taking a gap year and sorting your life out.

Defo try and defer though, and try to get through the first year because it won't be a waste of a year then. But seriously consider your short term future and what might be best for you at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    Firstly congratulations for quitting heroin.
    Just be truthful and explain your making a change for the better in your life.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mass appeal)
    hey,

i've been a heroin addict for a couple of years, and recently quit. i did my first year of uni, then had a couple of years off due to mental health issues, and became an addict during that time. i got clean before returning to uni last year, but relapsed when i moved back to uni (in london). did my second year but was a full blown addict the whole time. as you can imagine, i missed a lot of classes.

i am now clean, but my chances of doing well in my upcoming exams are not so good. i want to defer a couple of them, you have to give the reason, and am anxious about telling my university that i've been an addict (whilst studying there). what do you i should do? do you think my university will kick me out, or let me defer them, or not?

i would like to speak with my personal tutor about it, but am unsure what level of confidentiality there exists there. my biggest concern is that they find out, and then kick me out.

please keep any righteous judgements to yourself - i'm guilty enough as it is.

thanks for any advice.
    it depends what course you are doing. if you are doing a professional course- eg: teaching, nursing, public services etc. i definatly wouldnt tell them. they will be writing your reference dont forget.

there is 'confidentiality' betwen personal tutor and student. but in reality tutors will talk behind your back, confidentiality policy or not. ive had tutors doing this to me about minor things. think how your 'confession' will spice up the gossip between them.

if i were you, i would make up a reason- family member died, caring for someone at home, etc etc. make it something they will feel sorry for you about. they will then do whatver they can to help you.

well done for quitting heroin, unfortunatly some professional people have never done anything worse than drinking slightly over the reccomended units a day :shock: so they may not be quite so sympathetic or understanding.

my advice is to make something up.
    you probably wont get kicked out but you dont want all the tutors knowing and whispering about you. and if they are not sympathetic you wont be able to defer and you will have lost your chance to make something up which they will be more understanding about.

make it a good excuse

again well done for quitting heroin.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cattty)
    it depends what course you are doing. if you are doing a professional course- eg: teaching, nursing, public services etc. i definatly wouldnt tell them. they will be writing your reference dont forget.

there is 'confidentiality' betwen personal tutor and student. but in reality tutors will talk behind your back, confidentiality policy or not. ive had tutors doing this to me about minor things. think how your 'confession' will spice up the gossip between them.

if i were you, i would make up a reason- family member died, caring for someone at home, etc etc. make it something they will feel sorry for you about. they will then do whatver they can to help you.

well done for quitting heroin, unfortunatly some professional people have never done anything worse than drinking slightly over the reccomended units a day :shock: so they may not be quite so sympathetic or understanding.

my advice is to make something up.
    you probably wont get kicked out but you dont want all the tutors knowing and whispering about you. and if they are not sympathetic you wont be able to defer and you will have lost your chance to make something up which they will be more understanding about.

make it a good excuse

again well done for quitting heroin.
    An excuse isn't going to work when they ask for evidence though. They've seen it all at universities so it's best to be completely honest. They aren't going to go whispering to a future employer, if anything it shows that the OP is an awesomely determined person that managed to pull themselves out of an awful situation!

OP: you've done awesomely. Just explain to your tutor what happened, apply for extenuating circumstances with evidence from your support group and you should be allowed to do what is best for your wellbeing. Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ParadoxSocks)
    An excuse isn't going to work when they ask for evidence though. They've seen it all at universities so it's best to be completely honest. They aren't going to go whispering to a future employer, if anything it shows that the OP is an awesomely determined person that managed to pull themselves out of an awful situation!

OP: you've done awesomely. Just explain to your tutor what happened, apply for extenuating circumstances with evidence from your support group and you should be allowed to do what is best for your wellbeing. Good luck!
    he might have been good to get himself out of the situation, but not all people will see it that way.

like i said, if its a professional course definatly dont tell them the truth

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.