Join TSR now and get answers to all your questions about uniSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Hello

Just wondering if anyone is planning on living at HamCam next year? I'm a third year student & have been allocated a room in Hazel House. I went for a viewing and really liked the place, seemed a good place with a convenient shop, football pitch and pub on campus.

Also, if anyone has previously lived there - How was your experience? What were the management like etc?

It would be nice to chat with a few people on here and have a few familiar faces on campus when moving in!

Cheers!

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    This is probably not the reply you were looking for but yeah i'm planning on living at HamCam next year.

I'm a first year though and i'm unsure as to whether i should apply for the Halls or 5 person flats.
    Seeing as you're a third year and have been to see Hamcam i was wondering if you could help? advise and whatnot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chinsinsi)
    Hi
    This is probably not the reply you were looking for but yeah i'm planning on living at HamCam next year.

I'm a first year though and i'm unsure as to whether i should apply for the Halls or 5 person flats.
    Seeing as you're a third year and have been to see Hamcam i was wondering if you could help? advise and whatnot.
    Hi!

Yes no problem - I thought the campus was decent overall for the price, especially if you enjoy relaxing with friends outside as there are big areas of field. Just a few things I thought about the 5 bedroom flats:

Pro's

+ Double bed, sink in room, big wardrobe and under bed storage
    + Really nice staff and management (allow you to have bbq's outside etc)
    + Clean corridoor areas
    + Common rooms to relax and study rooms to work
    + On-site shop to get basic food like bread and milk - delivered daily
    + Free footie pitch and gym useage
    + Markets close by and butchers
    + Modern kitchen, free tv and nice lounge area in 5 persons

Con's
    + Will probably have to take a bus to go to Uni Campus everyday (Cost)
    + Shared Shower/Toilet - will always get messy!
    + Lacks a big supermarket near the area

As you can see the pro's for me outweighed the con's so decided to apply for a 5 room. I thought the halls would be too messy and noisy for my liking as I'll be studying a lot for final year ... as a 1st year student though you might like it more? Depends on your preference I think.

Definatly the best campus I have seen through my uni life (Having lived in Copice/Oscott and Liberty Living.

Hope this helps & hope to see you around the area one day!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you the pros really do outweigh the cons...it sounds ideal to me...guess it all comes down to what kind of housemates I live with huh...
    What about the uni itself? Would you say its a good uni?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    P.s...I'm the same person that asked the question

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

Well - I do business at City North Campus which might be totally different to your campus/study but so far on the whole I would say it's been a good experience.

The lecturers have always been decent and the placement department is very helpful. I've had plenty of help when I've asked for it and info has been communicated quickly though some friends I have who do media/design have told me differently.

The campus at City North is really ugly though, it's a bit grey and miserable but inside is fairly modern, especially at Galton which has just been refurbished. I think the campus is actually moving to the city within a few years which will be great for future students.

This campus has a really good pub (hare of the dog), decent libry with Mac's and the student gym is only 5 minutes away. The freshers events are OK but a bit over crowded for my liking.

The area is something which has always been a disapointment though...it is a bit scummy, lots of grafiti ect under walkways and you will see some dodgy looking people if you go out shopping at One Stop. Outside the campus, it is not a nice area at all in honesty but it's not stabbings or guns ect - I've heard of the odd robery though but as long as you are smart and don't want to find trouble like me, you will have a good time!

Overall I would say it's been a good experience yes, met some really funny people and friends but also had good use of facilities etc. I guess everything depends on you and how you want get the best out of it (or any uni tbh).

hope this helps somewhat...cheers

ReputationRep:
    Thank you so much...i went to the city north for an open day and i know what you mean when you say the campus is a tad grey never explored the local area though so its nice to get a bit of an insight...well i've already commited myself to it so lets hope i'll enjoy it....at least the scrumminess of the area wont come as a surprise

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 10, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.