Join TSR now and chat about whatever you’re intoSign up now

ReputationRep:
    Are there any new flip phones out there? I had a old Motorola V3 which was great until it died completely.

Is there anything new that can run apps like Whatsapp? I have googled around and have not been successful. Why are flip phones dead?

Any suggestions??

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by james3334)
    Are there any new flip phones out there? I had a old Motorola V3 which was great until it died completely.

Is there anything new that can run apps like Whatsapp? I have googled around and have not been successful. Why are flip phones dead?

Any suggestions??

Thanks
    Not currently I'm afraid. At the moment the big formfactor is big glass slab. I would personally be quite interested if they would make a really nice, really powerful android flip/slider but it seems unlikely atm. There is no longer a demand and until a company makes a new one which is hot stuff don't expect to see any apart from cheap ones.

ReputationRep:
    No more "flip" phones per se that run any modern OS that has whatsapp,

but there are slider smartphones, if that tickles your fancy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hslakaal)
    No more "flip" phones per se that run any modern OS that has whatsapp,

but there are slider smartphones, if that tickles your fancy
    The only problem is with sliders is I don't think there has been a single one which has been targeted at top-tier smartphone level since the HTC Desire Z - they all seem to be really cheap ones atm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    The only problem is with sliders is I don't think there has been a single one which has been targeted at top-tier smartphone level since the HTC Desire Z - they all seem to be really cheap ones atm
    You are right. But considering that the OP was using a motorola V3, I don't think he's after high-end phones.

ReputationRep:
    Flip phones went out of fashion after touch-screens became the norm. The most modern OS which would run on a flip-phone would probably be something like Symbian, which is primitive compared to Android or iOS or whatever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    How much could you get a secondhand Desire Z for now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownGuy)
    I couldnt find any good condition ones on google shopping but there is also the motorola milestone 2. I used the droid 2 global variant until December and it was a good phone for the time I owned it (i gave it to my sister)

You can get one new for around £100 e,g. http://compare.ebay.co.uk/like/11079...var=sbar&cbt=y
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UnknownGuy)
    http://webshop.cashconverters.co.uk/...product%2Bfeed

A quick Google pulled that up. I personally wouldn't go for it though, two year old hardware and Android 2.3 will be a far cry from the modern smartphone experience.

ReputationRep:
    I remember the days where you were the coolest kid with a flip phone :cute:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elainie)
    I remember the days where you were the coolest kid with a flip phone :cute:
    I remember getting a Samsung slide phone.... I felt so damn cool. Then suddenly everyone started getting touch screens

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.