Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I was wondering if there's anyone here who's applied through the access course for dentistry and been successful? I'm thinking of doing so too so any further information would be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    anyone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm wondering this as well! I'm due to start my access course in September....would be good to hear some positive stories (negative too) of people having done one and getting accepted to uni.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Not very lively in here! Hoping that's not a bad omen for dentistry via access.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    yeah my thoughts exactly :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaadi Baba)
    yeah my thoughts exactly :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Where are you thinking of going for the access course and then hoping for which Uni's?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    leeds university would be my ideal choice and locally I think it is the only one I am eligible to apply to via access for dentistry.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Where are you looking to do the access course and is yours a specific medicine and dentistry or just science based?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Specifically looking todo Dentistry at Leeds In'sha'Allah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Specifically looking todo Dentistry at Leeds In'sha'Allah.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sorry to say that according to the Leeds university website, they do not accept access course students into dentistry:

http://www.dentistry.leeds.ac.uk/?page_id=64

I am starting access to medicine at City and Islington later this year myself - it's a shame that lots of universities don't accept access courses... leaves only a handful of universities to apply to....

Are you willing to move to Europe if you cannot get a place in the UK? It's something I think you should consider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vinnie83)

I am starting access to medicine at City and Islington later this year myself - it's a shame that lots of universities don't accept access courses... leaves only a handful of universities to apply to....

Are you willing to move to Europe if you cannot get a place in the UK? It's something I think you should consider.
    I was offered an interview assessment there but had a place confirmed at Manchester college so am moving there instead for access to med and dent.
    It's really restricting the uni's I can apply to going this route, especially with limited gcse grades. Many want 5-7 A's which I don't have.
    I believe the only uni's I can apply to are Manchester, Newcastle and KCL.
    Have you found similar?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Also where in Europe are you talking about?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to say that according to the Leeds university website, they do not accept access course students into dentistry:

Hi

I hope you don't mind me commenting. Im just finishing off the Access to Medicine course at City and Islington, but i'm a medicine applicant not dentistry. (3 medicine offers, I withdrew from my fourth choice). The course is excellent, you won't be disappointed! It's accepted by Kings, Manchester, Cardiff, Glasgow, Newcastle, I think Liverpool also accept it. So fear not! The college has a particularly good relationship with Kings, to be safe I contacted all the medical schools I put down on my UCAS form first just to be 100% sure they took it and what grades I would need.

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished Foundation to Health Studies at Liverpool University. The access requirements for this are similar to an access course but you don't have the uncertainty of gaining a place on dentistry afterwards. As long as you achieve 70% you are guaranteed entry onto the BDS or medicine. The teaching is also fantastic and sets you up brilliantly for first year. Closing date is the 31st May and you apply directly to the university. I would highly recommend this course instead of an access course into dentistry or medicine.

ReputationRep:
    I am starting access to medicine at City and Islington later this year myself -
    Good luck! I do this course :-) Amy (course leader and my personal tutor) is amazing. Work hard - it's a very hard course but very good.

(Original post by SarahGummer)
    Hi

m just finishing off the Access to Medicine course at City and Islington, but i'm a medicine applicant not dentistry.
    Hiya! I'm doing this course too. Who's your personal tutor?

ReputationRep:

They do?
    http://www.dentistry.leeds.ac.uk/?page_id=66

ReputationRep:

That's their own access course, and the criteria for getting into their access course is very specific - low income household, first generation of family to apply to uni etc...

http://www.leeds.ac.uk/ace/PS/a2l_Eligibility.html

So they state they do not accept access course students, but I am yet to speak to them to see what their individual view on the matter is.

ReputationRep:
    That is the course I was referring to. Access to Leeds.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SarahGummer)
    Hey! My tutor is *****! Have you enjoyed the course? I've loved it but found it very hard work! Looking forward to summer and then starting Uni! How has your application for Midwifery gone?
    Oh ****! I love him, but he's a bit of a stickler for the rules he's my Maths teacher, and he does care a lot about us.

I've loved it too! Even had a little cry into my pillow the other day at the thought of it ending so soon it's already in that stage where we're hardly in or the class is not full. Pretty much officially finished A&P now (no more classes until the extra unit test) and Amy was my subject tutor for that! Very sad.

It has been immensly hard, though, and I feel I could have done it better.

I got 5 rejections, sadly, but I had an email from KCL a few weeks ago inviting me to the selection day for Adult Nursing on Wednesday. Hoping I get it but I need 6 more distinctions

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys. I was wondering if there's anyone here who's applied through the access course for dentistry and been successful? I'm thinking of doing so too so any further information would be helpful.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Why dont you look at the entry requirements for the unis you might be interested in and see what they say. Failing that, email the admissions people at the unis and ask them about it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.