Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What do you do?

This happened to me last weekend in H&M and I was so shocked that someone would drop a brand new £20 that I handed it in! Mildly regretting that now obvs but at the time all I could think was, "hidden camera tv show..."

ReputationRep:
    I think if it was just on the floor I'd keep it. However, if I'd seen someone drop it then I'd give it back to them.

I definitely wouldn't hand it in to the shop - reckon the person would keep it for themselves to be honest.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Unless I saw who dropped or could somehow deduce who it belonged to then I'd keep it.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the other posts.
    If I saw the person drop it I'd tell them but if not, I'd pocket that bad boy!

100% pocket it! Finders keepers

ReputationRep:
    You keep it unless you saw them drop it.
    If you go around asking if anybody dropped it, you'd be surprised that it always happens to be the first person you ask.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Yes, yes, 'finders keepers, losers weepers', but I most certainly don't wanna be featured in those tv shows, hosted by Domnic Littlewood, where they catch people red handed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    I would keep it - I don't see why people say "If you keep it it's stealing" - if you lose money on the street the law changes to finder's keepers.
    The "law of the streets" you mean?

Even if you intentionally put it down on the ground it's stealing... because abandoned **** belongs to the Queen. You're stealing from the QUEEN herself. That used to be punishable by death. High treason!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munn)
    The "law of the streets" you mean?

Even if you intentionally put it down on the ground it's stealing... because abandoned **** belongs to the Queen. You're stealing from the QUEEN herself. That used to be punishable by death. High treason!
    'the laws of the street's 'the laws of the land' 'Jack's laws' - whatever you want to call them

I think I'll risk it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terria)
    What do you do?

This happened to me last weekend in H&M and I was so shocked that someone would drop a brand new £20 that I handed it in! Mildly regretting that now obvs but at the time all I could think was, "hidden camera tv show..."

Pick it up and keep it, I'm pretty sure that a TV show would have to pixelate your face unless you give them permission to do otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    CCTV cameras :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'd take it and walk out of the shop :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by British199)
    I would give it back...
    Who to? We don't know who dropped it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Take it. If I saw someone drop it, I would give it to them. But I wouldn't trust most staff members not to just pocket it.

And Hell, I've lost money that way before. It was completely my own fault.

ReputationRep:
    If in a shop you have to assume there are cameras, I wouldn't risk it

ReputationRep:
    Risk what?

ReputationRep:
    Truthfully, if there was no one around to claim it, I'd keep it. It's not stealing, it's just a rewarding way of picking up litter

ReputationRep:
    I would keep it.

ReputationRep:
    I found £20 on the roadside on the way to work. There was no chance in hell that anyone would come back and find it (quiet country road) so I used it to buy sweets for my workmates.

What a day that was.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by Bluffroom)
    I would keep it - I don't see why people say "If you keep it it's stealing" - if you lose money on the street the law changes to finder's keepers.
    Actually, it doesn't. If someone loses it, it is still bound by English law. So it'll work in an order of priority:

1) The original owner has the exclusive right to the money; however if s/he doesn't assert that right then:

2) If the area where it is lost is "controlled" by the owner of the premises, then they have the right to it, if not:

3) Finders, keepers.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.