The Student Room Group
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton

University of Sussex vs University of Leeds

Hi im Freya and im in my 1st year of sixth form, I study Psychology, Biology, English Literature and Religious Studies. In my first set of exams ( January 2013) i achieved:
Religious Studies: A
Psychology: B (2 MARKS OFF AN A)
Biology: B
I am currently on an A in my English literature coursework.

I don't know about you guys but university searching/shopping is an exciting prospect for me. I want to study Psychology and my current 2 top choices are University of Leeds and University of Sussex.
University of Leeds : Psychology
University of Sussex : Psychology with American Studies

They both have pros and cons:
I have never been to any of these areas as i live in London, more specifically Essex, but i WILL visit them during open days. I don't necessarily consider distance has a problem.
I have been told by many people that Leeds is a lovely city and the student union is AMAZING as well as the nightlife. These factors would help me settle in nicely. Sussex student union isnt as great but iv heard the nightlife is quite good.Then again, by comparing the two universities for their Psychology Courses, Sussex has amazing feedback from the STUDENTS and obviously the main factor is enjoying the course.Sussex is the only university that interested me with PSYCHOLOGY WITH AMERICAN STUDIES.. as i enjoy essays and would enjoy reading about American history, literature and culture etc (The year abroad is just a bonus)
I enjoy the fact Psychology is a science and american studies is just the cherry on top.

GUYS I NEED HELP!! IF YOU KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT 'PSYCHOLOGY WITH AMERICAN STUDIES' OR JUST 'AMERICAN STUDIES' AND 'PSYCHOLOGY' IN GENERAL PLEASE MESSAGE ME!!
p.s ANY information about Leeds and Sussex/Brighton as an area would be nice and even more perfect about inside information about the Universities. I am open to all opinions and suggestions.
Reply 1
Sussex university in my opinion is soo much better, there is a lovely atmosphere there and the night like is amazing. But the cost implications are higher at Sussex than at Leeds.
University of Sussex
University of Sussex
Brighton
Reply 2
Original post by Rachel26
Sussex university in my opinion is soo much better, there is a lovely atmosphere there and the night like is amazing. But the cost implications are higher at Sussex than at Leeds.

Thank you for the reply Rachel , where do you study and what course?
Your grades are really good, well done :smile:

Sussex has quite a student feel to it, as all the students are based on one campus. I see Sussex as like the traditional sort of University, but because its so near Brighton, you meet the most wonderful unique people.

Leeds is a very good University too, and it's much cheaper to live there than in Sussex.

It really depends on what sort of area you like :smile: Some people don't like living far from home, so Sussex may be a good option. Or if you don't mind living quite far from home, pick Leeds.

Would highly recommend visiting both Universities a couple of times if at all possible. It cost me only 10 pound to get from London to the North on the train, and you can get cheapish accomodation in most cities.

Good Luck :smile: I know how it feels, as made the same choice myself a month ago.

Don't know alot about the subject area sorry hun, doing Social Work myself.
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 4
My brother went to Sussex and loved it I went but I had to change because my mum took really ill so I went to one closer to home. But I know loads who go to Leeds some either totally love it or others hate it
Reply 5
Original post by Cheshire1990
Your grades are really good, well done :smile:

Sussex has quite a student feel to it, as all the students are based on one campus. I see Sussex as like the traditional sort of University, but because its so near Brighton, you meet the most wonderful unique people.

Leeds is a very good University too, and it's much cheaper to live there than in Sussex.

It really depends on what sort of area you like :smile: Some people don't like living far from home, so Sussex may be a good option. Or if you don't mind living quite far from home, pick Leeds.

Would highly recommend visiting both Universities a couple of times if at all possible. It cost me only 10 pound to get from London to the North on the train, and you can get cheapish accomodation in most cities.

Good Luck :smile: I know how it feels, as made the same choice myself a month ago.

Don't know alot about the subject area sorry hun, doing Social Work myself.

Yes, i will definitely visit them a few times:smile: Which university do you study at..what is it like? enviroment/area/atmosphere? people? student life?
Reply 6
Original post by Rachel26
My brother went to Sussex and loved it I went but I had to change because my mum took really ill so I went to one closer to home. But I know loads who go to Leeds some either totally love it or others hate it

What course did you do? Whilst you were there what was the average person like? Is it multicultural? student life?
Reply 7
Sussex Uni doesn't have a great nightlife

Source: visited mates at the uni, Leeds is far better IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by BradWills20
Sussex Uni doesn't have a great nightlife

Source: visited mates at the uni, Leeds is far better IMO

Posted from TSR Mobile

explain your point..what are the good and bad points of each?? Where do you study and what course?:smile:
Reply 9
I'm on a gap year but a lot of my friends are at uni so I've visited a lot of them, I've visited, Sussex, brighton, Southampton, UCL, Loughborough, Leeds and noticed the nightlife firsthand, Sussex SU is very poor and the high number or foreign students who generally stick to their own means its not a very socially active uni, that and it's a couple miles from Brighton means you may not want/afford to go go Brighton whenever you want. Conversely Leeds is in the city, the people are friendly, the prices are cheaper and it has the same academic value, I wasn't terribly impressed with the SU at Leeds but its 10x better than Sussex , next year I'm studying at Loughborough, I'd argue that It probably has the best SU I've seen anywhere

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
Reply 10
Sussex is full of southerns tbh I'm from Manchester so northerns don't really go. The atmosphere is amazing and the night life is really good plus tbh being by the beach what more could you ask for! My brother did business at Sussex he made friends for life but you have to go and see for yourself, also remember how far they are away from your home because if you want to go home or see friends you might struggle. Leeds is good the night life is good but if I was you I'd go to Sussex.
Original post by UniGirl_x
Yes, i will definitely visit them a few times:smile: Which university do you study at..what is it like? enviroment/area/atmosphere? people? student life?

Stayed North in the end.Couldn't afford to live in Sussex, its like 20-30 pound difference in accomodation from alot of the North uni's. I really couldn't get over how expensive Brighton is. I know how niave I must sound! But that's a very personal point of view, because I am simply not used to the price difference between the North and South.

I have visited Sussex many times, because I had interviews there and know Brighton uni very well. Love leeds more tbh.
First off, congratulations on such good results in January! Umm, I've probably got a really biased view, because I've firmed Sussex already haha :smile:
I had offers from Nottingham, Bath, Northampton and Durham and I chose Sussex based on the fact that when I went there, it felt like the place for me and the course also seemed amazing. I liked the fact that I could mix Psychology with American Studies, and obviously the year abroad is also a bonus :smile: but I loved my whole time there! My advice would be to go and have a serious look at all the unis you like the look of (sometimes twice)! Both are very good universities, you just have to find the right one for you :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by hollieaston
First off, congratulations on such good results in January! Umm, I've probably got a really biased view, because I've firmed Sussex already haha :smile:
I had offers from Nottingham, Bath, Northampton and Durham and I chose Sussex based on the fact that when I went there, it felt like the place for me and the course also seemed amazing. I liked the fact that I could mix Psychology with American Studies, and obviously the year abroad is also a bonus :smile: but I loved my whole time there! My advice would be to go and have a serious look at all the unis you like the look of (sometimes twice)! Both are very good universities, you just have to find the right one for you :smile:

what courses and what offers for each uni?:smile:
Psychology for all accept Sussex, and my offers might confuse you because I'm an IB student :P but Sussex was my highest offer, surprisingly!
Sussex.

Its a great small campus Uni in one of the best University towns in Britain. Lots of fun, arty stuff going on, the shopping is brilliant and its by the seaside. And London is only 50 mins away by train. AND a year in America? (Why are you even thinking about going to a dump like Leeds?)
Reply 16
Original post by returnmigrant
Sussex.

Its a great small campus Uni in one of the best University towns in Britain. Lots of fun, arty stuff going on, the shopping is brilliant and its by the seaside. And London is only 50 mins away by train. AND a year in America? (Why are you even thinking about going to a dump like Leeds?)

Hahaha I've made my mind up. Just need to work my ass of to get there now :smile:
thank you

Quick Reply