Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone!

im here looking for some advice & here is a little background story: i started my alevels in 2010, i started off doing very well as time went by i lost motivation, started missing school, all my friends were at uni & depression took over me - therefore, i dropped out of alevels 3 days before my exams. It was a horrible decision i ever had to make and i went to see a careers adviser, she said i could try enrolling on to an Access course. Summer 2011, i passed the exam to enrol on to the course & picked to enrol on Access to HE in Law.

... Good news is, i havent missed a lesson, students on the access course have a similar story to me, and college was a new environment for me to be in. I have applied for universities and received 3 conditional offers - Brunel university want 45 credits at merit level 3, so far, i have achieved 9 credits at merit level 3 & i got 4-5 units left which isnt enough to cover the requirement. A career adviser at my college said i am not a strong candidate for university & i should be looking at universities such as University of east london, london south bank etc

but the problem is: i dont want to go to university of east london, i feel very disappointed because ive been fighting so long to get this far. I know the career adviser was trying to be realistic but it hurts to know i wont be able to go to university.

Can anyone enlighten me & maybe shed a little hope please?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    Think about all you have achieved so far, go with your gut and prove the Careers Adviser wrong

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    If you can't achieve the minimum credits required for your offer then your chances of being accepted are slim. This is not to say non-existent, there are many people who get in despite missing their offer, you need to call up the uni when you get your final results and ask them if they'll still take you (this needs to be done on the day you get your results or before if you know what you'll get because competition can be fierce). If you missed narrowly your chances of getting in might not be too bad, if you missed by a wide margin however then it's probably going to be a miss.

Are you able to redo some units in order to boost up your grade? If not then you should consider back up options. If you don't want to go to a certain university then I would advise you stay true to that feeling, but before you make your decision do visit an open day and check it out you might find you'll like it after all

If you have your heart set on a certain university, Brunel or any other, then what about taking an extra year to meet the requirements for 2014/2015 entry?

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic too much! I've just been accepted into kent university based on my Access to HE results from last year.

University's are pretty flexible when it comes to allowing mature students onto the courses because they understand that being older and juggling many demands is difficult. The course is to act as proof that you can dedicate your time to the work and progressing to learn, as well as the course materials!

This said, get your head down and do everything in your power to get the grades up. Do external research and ask questions and be forward seeking, prove to your teachers that you are fully engrossed with each subject and by their teaching (remember they will be writing your review and recommendation that ucas and university's see).

Speak to unis directly and ask how they deal with people falling outside the targets set for them because it may be possible to fall into a foundation year if you miss the original window!

Be realistic with your options, but if the uni accepts Access course applicants and are top of the league for what you want to study, apply!

Hope this helps!

Daniel

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sulphur)
    If you can't achieve the minimum credits required for your offer then your chances of being accepted are slim. This is not to say non-existent, there are many people who get in despite missing their offer, you need to call up the uni when you get your final results and ask them if they'll still take you (this needs to be done on the day you get your results or before if you know what you'll get because competition can be fierce). If you missed narrowly your chances of getting in might not be too bad, if you missed by a wide margin however then it's probably going to be a miss.

Are you able to redo some units in order to boost up your grade? If not then you should consider back up options. If you don't want to go to a certain university then I would advise you stay true to that feeling, but before you make your decision do visit an open day and check it out you might find you'll like it after all

If you have your heart set on a certain university, Brunel or any other, then what about taking an extra year to meet the requirements for 2014/2015 entry?

My chances are pretty slim but i cannot judge myself just yet, i didnt get merits at the beginning of the course im just about to pick up the pace now. Unfortunately, doing an access course doesnt allow students to do the assignments again, if a student has achieved a pass for the assignment - you cant do anything to get merit or distinction (it was nothing compared to BTEC qualifications)

if i decide to apply again for 2014/15 - what am i going to do for the remaining year?

again, thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dannyhemms)
    Don't panic too much! I've just been accepted into kent university based on my Access to HE results from last year.

University's are pretty flexible when it comes to allowing mature students onto the courses because they understand that being older and juggling many demands is difficult. The course is to act as proof that you can dedicate your time to the work and progressing to learn, as well as the course materials!

This said, get your head down and do everything in your power to get the grades up. Do external research and ask questions and be forward seeking, prove to your teachers that you are fully engrossed with each subject and by their teaching (remember they will be writing your review and recommendation that ucas and university's see).

Speak to unis directly and ask how they deal with people falling outside the targets set for them because it may be possible to fall into a foundation year if you miss the original window!

Be realistic with your options, but if the uni accepts Access course applicants and are top of the league for what you want to study, apply!

Hope this helps!

Daniel

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello Daniel,

i have applied for kent too, still waiting on their reply. Im willing to call up to ask the universities i have applied for, however being realistic, if Brunel or Kent is high in demand for the course i have picked (sociology) then i have no chance of even putting my foot onto their door.

On the other hand, i'll try my best to push through the last remaining units, hoping that will be 35 credits at merit level three.

Thanks for your reply!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meowcakes)
    My chances are pretty slim but i cannot judge myself just yet, i didnt get merits at the beginning of the course im just about to pick up the pace now. Unfortunately, doing an access course doesnt allow students to do the assignments again, if a student has achieved a pass for the assignment - you cant do anything to get merit or distinction (it was nothing compared to BTEC qualifications)

if i decide to apply again for 2014/15 - what am i going to do for the remaining year?

again, thanks for your reply!
    I was suggesting you either sit an access course again (can you do that?) or pad out your application with additional qualifications e.g. an A-level in Sociology and English, Maths, whatever takes your fancy and is related to the course your applying for.

ReputationRep:
    There's lots of good uni's out there that don't want x amount of distinctions or merits. Do your research. Don't go to Uni for the sake of going, go to a place you want to be. If that means re-doing your access course in a few years time, so be it. You'll be better prepared, more determined and know what you wanna do. If you work in the mean time, you'll even save some money for Uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meowcakes)
    A career adviser at my college said i am not a strong candidate for university & i should be looking at universities such as University of east london, london south bank etc

but the problem is: i dont want to go to university of east london, i feel very disappointed because ive been fighting so long to get this far. I know the career adviser was trying to be realistic but it hurts to know i wont be able to go to university.
    If you're struggling with the Access Course, you're going to struggle with University, especially if you're planning on studying Law at degree level.

You've been told that you'd stand a better chance of getting in to somewhere such as LSBU / UEL - but you don't want to go there, therefore it's your choice not to go to University - nothing to do with your grades on that part.

I don't know if you can re-take units in an Access Course, I remember when I did mine, it wasn't allowed. You should speak to your tutors at college to find a solution - not the careers adviser. Your tutor would be able to tell you what you can do with regards to not getting the required credits, and whether you can extend the course, though there may be fee implications.

You don't HAVE to go to University right now. You could do an extra A Level or something to boost your chances, or re-sit your access course next year, or in a few years time.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.