Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,

I am planning on taking a gap year next year as my AS grades were abysmal (BCCD) and I saw no point in applying. This year however, I am aiming to get A grades in all 3 of my A-levels and atleast a B in the AS I picked up this year.

However, I dropped maths at AS, mostly because it was eating up my time like crazy and definitely led to my poor grades in the other subjects.

Maths was my D

I know Med Schools in general don't accept applicants who've sat A-levels across 3 years, however, despite my other A's I know my maths D will still appear on my record and I'm really worried it'll severely hinder my chances of getting in, in 2014.

I was wondering, if I resat my AS Maths in my gap year, would it count as doing the course over 3 years? Because technically I would have done it over two as I'm not longer studying.

However I know that if I have the time to focus solely upon it, I could really boost my grade.

Basically I'm really unsure about this and confused about what to do. I hope you understood all the above, feel free to ask for clarifications.

Help!

ReputationRep:
    Bump.

ReputationRep:
    If you achieve AAAb this summer, there is no point resitting your Maths next year. You would already meet the A-level requirements for most places and they're not going to be that bothered by an extra AS grade. And yes, it would count as resitting outside the 2 year period of your A-levels, which could complicate things. Concentrate on getting the right grades in the summer, and leave the Maths for now.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.