The Student Room Group

Year 12: University choices

This is a forum for Year 12 students (who like me) have already started thinking about a specific course they are interested in. Even more better if any of my fellow Year 12s have thought of specific choices of Universities.
This forum is a great way to get advice before we return after Summer and submit applications to UCAS.
Whether you are interested in:
Medical school
Maths
Economics
English literature
Psychology
Sociology
Business
American Studies
History
Politics
Geography
Dance
Music
Foreign Language
Sports Management
Education

This is a great way to just communicate and talk to others who may be interested in the same course as you.
(edited 11 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey, I'm in year 12 too and would like to study either Geography or English Literature at university, not sure which one yet. Since I'm the eldest in my family I have no idea how all of this University applying process works! I haven't really decided on a particular university yet but my favourites are Exeter, Sussex and Southampton. What course are you thinking of studying, and what universities are your favourites? :smile:
Oooh great idea :biggrin: Hoping to study English Literature at University of Newcastle, but I'm always changing my mind about where I want to go. DO you know when we start applying etc? Are you guys planning on going to open days this summer?
Reply 3
Original post by DakotaBlue
Hey, I'm in year 12 too and would like to study either Geography or English Literature at university, not sure which one yet. Since I'm the eldest in my family I have no idea how all of this University applying process works! I haven't really decided on a particular university yet but my favourites are Exeter, Sussex and Southampton. What course are you thinking of studying, and what universities are your favourites? :smile:

Hey! I find the whole process exciting and i love watching campus videos on youtube haha as geeky as that sounds! I want to study psychology at uni and one of my favourites is also sussex! As well as Nottingham, Exeter, Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds :smile: What subjects are you currently doing and how did you do in January exams?
Reply 4
Original post by Kateislate
Oooh great idea :biggrin: Hoping to study English Literature at University of Newcastle, but I'm always changing my mind about where I want to go. DO you know when we start applying etc? Are you guys planning on going to open days this summer?

hey katie! Thats a problem i think we're all going to face till the very moment we decide on our firm and insurance haha! :smile: I think we start applying when we return to school after Summer. Im definitely going to visit some open days, cause when you get on the campus you can just feel whether its right for you...prospectuses, photos can only do so much as we just see what the university wants us to see
Reply 5
Hey peeps :biggrin:

This is a great idea

I hope to study medicine and have narrowed my choices down to about 9/10 unis..so a long way to go yet!!

I'm going to open days soon, have already been to Nottingham and Cambridge is close but want to have a look at Edinburgh and St. Andrews, and lotssss of others :biggrin:

My decision making skills are lacking slightly when it comes to things like this...I just hope I can decide eventually lol :biggrin:

In our school we return after AS exams on June 10th to start Ucas and personal statement things :smile:

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by UniGirl_x
hey katie! Thats a problem i think we're all going to face till the very moment we decide on our firm and insurance haha! :smile: I think we start applying when we return to school after Summer. Im definitely going to visit some open days, cause when you get on the campus you can just feel whether its right for you...prospectuses, photos can only do so much as we just see what the university wants us to see

Ah sounds good, I can't wait to get the ball rolling, I'm always thinking about and researching unis, watching campus tours, looking at accomodation, and most of my friends haven't even thought about it yet! I'm such a uni nerd but I just can't wait :smile:
:hi:
I'm year 12 and I'm thinking about doing politics at uni :smile:
Reply 8
Ah sounds good, I can't wait to get the ball rolling, I'm always thinking about and researching unis, watching campus tours, looking at accomodation, and most of my friends haven't even thought about it yet! I'm such a uni nerd but I just can't wait :smile:

Same :biggrin:

Reply 9
Hey! I find the whole process exciting and i love watching campus videos on youtube haha as geeky as that sounds! I want to study psychology at uni and one of my favourites is also sussex! As well as Nottingham, Exeter, Birmingham, Sheffield and Leeds :smile: What subjects are you currently doing and how did you do in January exams?

Oh my gosh, same! I love watching the video campus tours too haha :smile: Aw that's cool, I think Sussex just looks really nice! I'm currently studying English Literature, Geography, Psychology and R.E. January exams were a bit of a flop for me :frown: I got a B in my R.E which I'm getting remarked and a C in my Psychology which I am re-sitting this summer! I didn't revise enough so I guess it's my own fault! What subjects did you take and what grades did you get?
Reply 10

THIS!!!:smile:
Reply 11

I keep changing my mind about where I want to go too! Yes I'm definitely planning to go to open days this summer! I'm not sure when we start applying? When we go back to school in September probably, because don't applications (those that aren't Oxbridge and medicine) have to be in by January or something? :smile:
Oh my gosh, same! I love watching the video campus tours too haha :smile: Aw that's cool, I think Sussex just looks really nice! I'm currently studying English Literature, Geography, Psychology and R.E. January exams were a bit of a flop for me :frown: I got a B in my R.E which I'm getting remarked and a C in my Psychology which I am re-sitting this summer! I didn't revise enough so I guess it's my own fault! What subjects did you take and what grades did you get?

I think it looks lovely too :smile: How far are you hoping to move? For me, it'd be 350 miles if I went to Newcastle! I'm doing English Lit, R.E and Media Studies. I got an A in my January RE exam! I was really pleased. I didn't have any other exams, I was supposed to have an English but Cardiff had a lot of snow the night before and I couldn't leave my house so I'm having to do it in June. Don't be too hard on yourself, no one at all in my year passed their Psychology exam!
Reply 13

Just remeber it was our first ever A levl exams!! You did great compared to many people i know who got Us and Es in all subjects! We basically do the same subjects haha!! I got an A in RE, B in Biology and B in Psychology (2 marks away from A) so ABB and i only had coursework in English Literature but currently on a low A
Reply 14
Original post by Amanbabbar./
:hi:
I'm year 12 and I'm thinking about doing politics at uni :smile:

Do you have any idea of what you look for in a university?
League Tables
Student Union
Nightlife
Campus
Distance

what is most important to you?
Hello my brethren :sexface:

I plan on applying for Mathematics and Physics at University, anyone else? :wink:
Reply 16
I think it looks lovely too :smile: How far are you hoping to move? For me, it'd be 350 miles if I went to Newcastle! I'm doing English Lit, R.E and Media Studies. I got an A in my January RE exam! I was really pleased. I didn't have any other exams, I was supposed to have an English but Cardiff had a lot of snow the night before and I couldn't leave my house so I'm having to do it in June. Don't be too hard on yourself, no one at all in my year passed their Psychology exam!

Well I live up north, near Yorkshire so moving down south to somewhere like Sussex would be quite a way, not sure how far! Wow congrats on your A! I only have one English Lit exam this year and it's in June too. Have you done any coursework in English? Yeah I found the Psychology paper really hard, but most people at my school got A's and B's. Hopefully when I re-sit I will too! :smile:
Reply 17
Original post by Felix Felicis
Hello my brethren :sexface:

I plan on applying for Mathematics and Physics at University, anyone else? :wink:

I hope to do medicine but maths is beautiful :smile: I do physics too :smile:
What unis are you looking at?

Do you have any idea of what you look for in a university?
League Tables
Student Union
Nightlife
Campus
Distance

what is most important to you?

Distance. I wanna live at home still.
And probably league tables, I'm hoping to go to a Russell group uni :smile:
Reply 19
Psychology at uni! (fingers crossed) :love:

Quick Reply

Latest