Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    you start from 0.

I still dont get 6)a)
    Ok so if he buys 6 lengths of wood which are 2m in length each, in total he's going to have 12m of wood & he only needs 12m right? (0.4 x 3) + (0.6 x 4) etc...= 12 so he should be able to cut all the lengths he requires BUT

• He wants 2 pieces of wood which are 1.2m long so from those 6 lengths, he can use 2 to cut out 1.2m from.
    • Hence both of the 2 lengths of wood are going to have 0.8m left over (2-1.2)
    • In order to use that 0.8m according to the table he can cut 2 pieces of 0.4m wood H/W this will only work for 1 of the lengths of wood as for the second length of wood he will only need to have 1 piece of 0.4m as he only wants 3 hence there will be 0.4m left over which he won't be able to use.

Sorry, that's the best I can explain it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by otrivine)
    you start from 0.

I still dont get 6)a)
    Part C requires you to use full bin with 2.4m length and 5 bins. However I said to do it with 6 bins and 2m length. If you do it with 6 bins you find it to not be possible. I don't know how to explain it though. Possible working out the lowerbound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Part C requires you to use full bin with 2.4m length and 5 bins. However I said to do it with 6 bins and 2m length. If you do it with 6 bins you find it to not be possible. I don't know how to explain it though. Possible working out the lowerbound?
    I see, so I do full bin packing but with 6 bins and try to make it 2 right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fortitude)
    Ok so if he buys 6 lengths of wood which are 2m in length each, in total he's going to have 12m of wood & he only needs 12m right? (0.4 x 3) + (0.6 x 4) etc...= 12 so he should be able to cut all the lengths he requires BUT

• He wants 2 pieces of wood which are 1.2m long so from those 6 lengths, he can use 2 to cut out 1.2m from.
    • Hence both of the 2 lengths of wood are going to have 0.8m left over (2-1.2)
    • In order to use that 0.8m according to the table he can cut 2 pieces of 0.4m wood H/W this will only work for 1 of the lengths of wood as for the second length of wood he will only need to have 1 piece of 0.4m as he only wants 3 hence there will be 0.4m left over which he won't be able to use.

Sorry, that's the best I can explain it
    Thanks I get it

one other thing 6)b) page 60 on kruscals do you get the answer 48 ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey has anyone got the Jan 2013 paper? I've done all the others and need to test myself for time!

ReputationRep:
    hi does anyone know if we need to know a definition for dummies in critical path analysis?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Priya08)
    hi does anyone know if we need to know a definition for dummies in critical path analysis?
    to define dummies, can you say there are shown as dotted line, they show which activity is dependent to which activities shows dependences ?

ReputationRep:
    In the book :

Dummy - an activity shown by a dotted line, it has an arrow indicating direction, but has no weight

However I highly doubt them asking us to define the term dummy, they would rather ask us why a dummy has been used in a particular case

ReputationRep:
    okay thanksss

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RoversMatt24)
    Hey has anyone got the Jan 2013 paper? I've done all the others and need to test myself for time!
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/atta...3&d=1358984614

Here is the model answers from a thread, you can look at the questions and do the paper without looking at the answers

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    pretty sure they won't ask something like that, normally the 'wordy' related questions regarding dummies will be ones asking 'explain the significance of the dotted line between activities X and Y, and it'll normally be worth 2 marks, and you explain that it represents a dummy, and then mention what activities are reliant on each other

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    After you've done Full-Bin

Do you do First Fit Decreasing OR First Fit.

The Book suggests First Fit.
    The Markscheme June 2009 suggest First Fit Decreasing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Better)

I don't quite get what you mean ?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

I've always thought it was first fit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fortitude)
    I've always thought it was first fit.
    Yes I thought the same, but according to the markscheme they did full bin, then for some reason they did First-Fit Decreasing.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Wait, I'm going to have a look

ReputationRep:
    Hi any questions i could do in addition to the edexcel papers?

ReputationRep:

Don't they tell you what they want you to use??

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Yes I thought the same, but according to the markscheme they did full bin, then for some reason they did First-Fit Decreasing.
    Oh so for Bin 4 right because I got 17, 23, 16 :confused:
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I've looked at the mark scheme again & I think we will get the mark because 2 marks are for the 2 full bins & then it states "2A1: A 4 bin solution found." so yeah I don't think it really matters or else they would have specified.

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.