The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 540
Original post by Arsey
that was a strange question, no it is 5 iterations, I didn't include the final location as an iteration stupidly.

Also on the CPA question I put my 5.5 line on day 6 :rolleyes: so B can actually escape.

You on that lurk time? Hehehe.
Original post by Arsey
that was a strange question, no it is 5 iterations, I didn't include the final location as an iteration stupidly.

Also on the CPA question I put my 5.5 line on day 6 :rolleyes: so B can actually escape.

Oh great, thank you for confirming that :biggrin: appreciated.
Reply 542
Original post by posthumus

I guess we should round up now.:tongue:
Reply 543
What time is Arsey going to post the paper?, is it 12 at night? or Saturday during the day sometime?
Reply 544
Okay guessing time. Here is what I expect to come up in the exam tomorrow.

Definitions - they love the reason for a dummy definition but I would expect definition on algorithms on networks or matchings.

Kruskal's, that is pretty certain to come up. Make sure you know the differences between Prim's and Kruskal's.

Sorting algorithm, you will either get Bubble or Quick, probably numerical descending order, which is likely to lead into...

Bin Packing - Make sure you know how to find the lower bound / proving a solution is maximal.

CPA - Maybe drawing an activity network and my money would be on a Gantt. Make sure you know how to find a lower bound from the activity network AND from a Gantt.

Linear Programming - Hammer linear programming, it is on every paper and is often the poorest answered. Unless you know how to go from context to a restriction you could be absolutely stuffed. Also make sure you know the basics, y = mx + c, if you don't know how to draw a line, do a table of values! you only need 3 points. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a decimal point but require an integer solution, so practise these.
Original post by Vaner

So let me get this right, do we always round up? Or do we round up if it's .5 & above??:s-smilie:
Reply 546
Please help

When it says I can start and end at any point in a Chinese postman question, how do you workout those points? and if it gives you a start and tells you to end at any point then what do you do? what if it gives you an end and tell you to choose a start?

Thanks in advance

oh so we round up everytime the book is correct? even if we have 5.02 do we round to 6
Original post by Arsey
Okay guessing time. Here is what I expect to come up in the exam tomorrow.

Definitions - they love the reason for a dummy definition but I would expect definition on algorithms on networks or matchings.

Kruskal's, that is pretty certain to come up. Make sure you know the differences between Prim's and Kruskal's.

Sorting algorithm, you will either get Bubble or Quick, probably numerical descending order, which is likely to lead into...

Bin Packing - Make sure you know how to find the lower bound / proving a solution is maximal.

CPA - Maybe drawing an activity network and my money would be on a Gantt. Make sure you know how to find a lower bound from the activity network AND from a Gantt.

Linear Programming - Hammer linear programming, it is on every paper and is often the poorest answered. Unless you know how to go from context to a restriction you could be absolutely stuffed. Also make sure you know the basics, y = mx + c, if you don't know how to draw a line, do a table of values! you only need 3 points. I wouldn't be surprised if you get a decimal point but require an integer solution, so practise these.

A quck question sir, why is it sometimes that the lower bound does not tell you how many workers cause sometimes when you use the chart you get 4 and lower bound gets 3 why does it not work all the time
Reply 549
so..how do you find a lower bound from the activity network AND from a Gantt?
Reply 550
Original post by Fortitude
So let me get this right, do we always round up? Or do we round up if it's .5 & above??:s-smilie:

Not quite sure, but in exam I'd round up. ( personally )
Reply 551
Original post by dh1995
so..how do you find a lower bound from the activity network AND from a Gantt?

From an activity network, it is the total weight of all activities divided by the weight of the critical path, to give you the lower bound of workers and from gantt chart, you do the same i guess
Reply 552
Original post by Arsey

How do you find the lower bound from a Gantt?? :confused::confused::confused:
Original post by Skilled
From an activity network, it is the total weight of all activities divided by the weight of the critical path, to give you the lower bound of workers and from gantt chart, you do the same i guess

But sometimes the lower bound gives a wrong indication of how many workers there should be and so you have to use the cascade
Reply 554
Original post by otrivine
But sometimes the lower bound gives a wrong indication of how many workers there should be and so you have to use the cascade

so how do you do it with the cascade?
Reply 555

thanks!, Please help

When it says I can start and end at any point in a Chinese postman question, how do you workout those points? and if it gives you a start and tells you to end at any point then what do you do? what if it gives you an end and tell you to choose a start?

Thanks in advance
Original post by Vaner

oh so we round up everytime the book is correct? even if we have 5.02 do we round to 6

Yup always round up guys, sorry for the confusion hope you understand :smile: I think like they've done in the book using ">" sign would make it a bit easier to follow

Original post by Fortitude

Oh we are talking about finding number of iterations for binary search used log to the base 2. It came up in Jan 2013 :smile:

If you have 26 variables (like we did in Jan) then do logbase2(26) which gives you 4.7 , always round up so number of iterations is 5 :smile:

The common method is to keep halving :tongue: :

26/2 = 13
13/2 = [6.5] = 7
7/2 = [3.5] = 4
4/2 = 2
2/1 = 1

You had to half 5 times to get to 1 :smile: so maximum number of iterations is 5
Reply 557
I remember that question... Can you remember the last part of the last question??? Finding the lower bound from the gantt.. how do you do it?

Cascade and gantt charts are the same thing ??? Did you mean scheduling :smile:
Cascade and gantt charts are the same thing ??? Did you mean scheduling :smile:

No you sometimes they want you to find the number of minimum workers needed , sometime they say use your gantt chart to do that but sometimes even if u want to use the lower bound it does not give u the same number of workers sometimes when u use the gantt you need 4 workers and in lower bound you get 3 why the difference

Quick Reply

Latest