The Student Room Group

D1 (Decision 1) 17 May 2013 Official Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by posthumus
Ah yes definitely ! I really meant that I took D1 with the wrong impression with respect to CS :tongue: Can't wait till University :biggrin:

And good luck ! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

The Paper Destroyed me. I know what you mean about timing. If you haven't done like 10 Questions for 1 thing, you will waste soooo much time.

The questions where I knew a method to solve the questions I blitzed through it. Do Practice Paper B, it has like 10 definitions questions....wow. Thank God I have some time to improve.

Original post by tiny hobbit

So can anyone help me please

Does anyone know a faster way to draw the inequalities in Linear Programing, I'm finding it tough to choose what values I should use I.e. Should I use 1-10, or 50-100 or larger values.

Next Critical Path Analysis MOST DIFFICULT PLEASE (or any links?)

I have no clue when or when you shouldn't use a Dummy, and how to draw these Diagrams. I was looking at the question for like 10 minutes confused.

Route Inspection

Is there any hard and fast way to find the Traversable path, that took me like 4 minutes as well.

Here

v Practice Paper B.pdf (251.3 KB, 426 views)
Practice Paper B AB.pdf (202.9 KB, 240 views)
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by Better
The Paper Destroyed me. I know what you mean about timing. If you haven't done like 10 Questions for 1 thing, you will waste soooo much time.

That questions where I knew a method to solve the questions I blitz through it. Do Practice Paper B, it has like 10 definitions questions....wow. Thank God I have some time to improve.

Did you do the exam in January ? I skipped the first 3 questions and thought I'd come back to them later.... never did :tongue: Its the fact that you have to be accurate (for me that meant take your time) and quick at the same time !

And I'm going to do that paper this evening ! Should be a good place to start :smile:
Reply 62
Did you do the exam in January ? I skipped the first 3 questions and thought I'd come back to them later.... never did :tongue:

And I'm going to do that paper this evening ! Should be a good place to start :smile:

Ah no this is my first time, so need to smash it.

Yeah its a really good paper I think, really need some help on those weaknesses, I'll try to sort them out by the end of tongiht.

Make sure to do it in 1hr30mins and stop even if you don't finish on time buddy - good luck!
I'm doing D1 in the summer as part of my further maths AS. I picked further maths up in my A2 year and I've had to teach myself the D1 module D: I got 90 in FP1 in January but I think the appalling grade that I'm expecting to get in D1 will pull my grade down :frown:
Reply 64
Original post by Anime Lover
I'm doing D1 in the summer as part of my further maths AS. I picked further maths up in my A2 year and I've had to teach myself the D1 module D: I got 90 in FP1 in January but I think the appalling grade that I'm expecting to get in D1 will pull my grade down :frown:

My teacher says most of the grades follow a pattern of As and Bs or Es and Us- if you follow the instructions precisely then you should be fine
Btw can't you get a tutor??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by m.dot.mak
My teacher says most of the grades follow a pattern of As and Bs or Es and Us- if you follow the instructions precisely then you should be fine
Btw can't you get a tutor??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah I've noticed that pattern at my college too D: I could get a tutor but I only picked up the AS for fun and I don't need any grade in it for my uni offers, I just want an A because I did well in FP1 so I might as well aim for the same grade in the other modules XD
Any one here also doing D2? I need help with working out the optimal mixed strategy using probabilities :frown: I don't get what the book is doing :no:

OP. Can you change the title of the thread to include the date of the exam please :h:
Reply 67
Original post by This Excellency
Any one here also doing D2? I need help with working out the optimal mixed strategy using probabilities :frown: I don't get what the book is doing :no:

OP. Can you change the title of the thread to include the date of the exam please :h:

You can't change the title of threads. Seeing as you are doing D2 you can help me on D1 here:

Can anyone please help WHY must you use a Dummy here between H and I but he DOESNT use a dummy between F and G!!
Can someone explain first in Laymans Terms then in Examinations Terms, that would be fantastic. Thank you !
Activity E depends on B only. Whereas activity D depends on both B and C. Therefore, we need a dummy from B to C to show the dependence of D on B and C.

I think the dummy is used for H and I so that they don't share a start (F,G) and end sink (J)
Original post by Better
Can anyone please help WHY must you use
a Dummy here between H and I but he
DOESNT use a dummy between F and G!!
Can someone explain first in Laymans Terms then
in Examinations Terms, that would be fantastic.
Thank you !

See above post :smile:

You're the OP. You can change the title by going on the first post and doing an 'advanced' edit :tongue:
Reply 70
Original post by This Excellency
Activity E depends on B only. Whereas activity D depends on both B and C. Therefore, we need a dummy from B to C to show the dependence of D on B and C.

I think the dummy is used for H and I so that they don't share a start (F,G) and end sink (J)

So is the rule you can't share a Start and End Sink??

Why is this, this doesn't make sense to me, either way from the diagram you are clearly able to identify dependence.

ANYONE?

(P.s I added the date of the exam)
Original post by Better

So is the rule you can't share a Start and
End Sink??

Why is this, this doesn't make sense to me, either
way from the diagram you are clearly able to
identify dependence.
ANYONE?

Seems like it. Look at the answer for Exercise 5B Q5. It's similar to the one you posted.

Told ya you could do it :wink:
Original post by Better

So is the rule you can't share a Start and End Sink??

Why is this, this doesn't make sense to me, either way from the diagram you are clearly able to identify dependence.

ANYONE?

OK, read the definitions in the book and the instructions for when to use a Dummy:

(1) To ensure the activity network shows all dependencies.
(2) To ensure activities don't share the same start and end event.

Your question refers to the latter of the two.
I did the practice paper B :smile:

got every single definition and explanation question wrong :tongue:
A few silly mistakes here and there
the activity network all wrong !
& the final question I got half of it wrong :frown:

First attempt after nearly 3 months
Reply 74
I did the practice paper B :smile:

got every single definition and explanation question wrong :tongue:
A few silly mistakes here and there
the activity network all wrong !
& the final question I got half of it wrong :frown:

First attempt after nearly 3 months

That's the whole point though it was a tough paper. Apart from the Definitions I aim to do another 2 (Mock Paper, and Specimen Paper). by the end of Sunday. The guys on this forum have helped me clear up my weaknesses, so my confidence is building.

The Activity Network is real straight forward once you get it, see the guy above.

I did a Solomon Press in like 20 Minutes because most of the questions aren't on our Spec so I'm not going to do any Solomon Press for D1.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 75
Original post by m4ths/maths247
OK, read the definitions in the book and the instructions for when to use a Dummy:

(1) To ensure the activity network shows all dependencies.
(2) To ensure activities don't share the same start and end event.

Your question refers to the latter of the two.

Ah wow thank you!!
I'm really struggling with the linear programming, especially rally when there is a question and if you lay it out the book changes it. How should you change this equation
X is greater than or equal to 20/100 (X + Y)
To
4X is greater than or equal to Y.
So confused

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by coolheadjody
I'm really struggling with the linear programming, especially rally when there is a question and if you lay it out the book changes it. How should you change this equation
X is greater than or equal to 20/100 (X + Y)
To
4X is greater than or equal to Y.
So confused

Posted from TSR Mobile

x + y will your number of items being produced.
You are just considering fractions of each quantity

Similar to this exam question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0qnZaWLoTY
Reply 78
Hi (: I just wanted to say good luck to everyone with this exam, I did it last year. I found it a complete nightmare both revising and during the exam. I was panicking a bit because i didn't even have time to finish so I left out at least 16 marks. Surprise of my life on results day when I got 96. Moral of the story ..don't freak out! You can do this! The whole country must fail (:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 79
Original post by zmai
Hi (: I just wanted to say good luck to everyone with this exam, I did it last year. I found it a complete nightmare both revising and during the exam. I was panicking a bit because i didn't even have time to finish so I left out at least 16 marks. Surprise of my life on results day when I got 96. Moral of the story ..don't freak out! You can do this! The whole country must fail (:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks for the advice mate and coming to tell us, yeah the last D1 Mock I did, I got like 36 Marks, because I freaked out an Panicked. Making sure I get that out of my system, trying to get really comfortable with the material.

Now for my negative side - Left out 16 Marks and got 96 UMS... not sure if serious when 90UMS was 70/75 in June 2012.... And 80UMS was 64/75.

You must have just completely nailed it.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg
(edited 11 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending