Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

TheAmazingAtheist Watch

ReputationRep:
    What are TSR's thoughts on YouTube user TheAmazingAtheist?

I tend to agree with a lot of what he says but not his over-the-top, often downright offensive way of saying it. Trying to shame or belittle someone because of their opinions won't make them acknowledge your arguments, it just strengthens their conviction in their own.

His channel here.

ReputationRep:
    He's an attention seeking idiot, like most popular atheists, who don't really grasp their own arguments, let alone those of others.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaraWarah)
    He's an attention seeking idiot, like most popular atheists, who don't really grasp their own arguments, let alone those of others.
    Why do you say he doesn't grasp his own arguments?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    People recognise YouTube user names nowadays? Times they are a changing.

ReputationRep:
    I generally have to turn the volume down when I watch one of his videos due to the exorbitant amount of shouting and profanity >_>

Which other 'popular atheists' are you referring to? I find many popular and vocal christian apologists are also unable to grasp their own arguments or those of others. I don't think your point is in any way restricted to atheists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Epicurean)
    I generally have to turn the volume down when I watch one of his videos due to the exorbitant amount of shouting and profanity >_>

Which other 'popular atheists' are you referring to? I find many popular and vocal christian apologists are also unable to grasp their own arguments or those of others. I don't think your point is in any way restricted to atheists.
    No, of course it's not restricted to atheists.

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    He's alright. I don't find him that funny though and many other people could explain concepts better.

ReputationRep:
    I used to subscribe, but got bored because of the repeated arguements, and it just got boring. i dont need to watch an angry man shout that god isnt real to me, i think that already.

ReputationRep:
    He's an absolutely vile human being. It's one of the sad things about the internet that bigots like him are given a platform to spew their bile. In the 80s he'd be sat at home alone with no-one to validate his horrible views.

ReputationRep:
    He's quite funny when you feel like listening to a rant. He doesn't make too many videos on religion now since there's only so much you can say; instead he focuses on stupid politicians and calls people out on their stupidity, be it religious or just general.

Always nice to watch when you're in the mood, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    I have (rather sadly) being watching him on and off for the past two or three years now. I don't take him too seriously and watch his videos for comedic value rather than anything else. He can be genuinely funny at times, especially when impersonating American rednecks.

He is a fairly smart guy but is certainly no intellectual heavyweight. He does make some serious videos every now and then but they came off as fairly pretentious more often than not. He is called "TheAmazingAtheist" but his videos are geared more towards general social commentary than religion/atheism per se. He has been engaging Internet feminists in cyber-warfare recently and this will probably be the main subject of his videos in the near future. But yeah, a really funny/interesting guy but best to take him with a pinch of salt.

ReputationRep:
    A strong argument contains no stupid voices. I watched less than a minute of his front page video and I already can't stand him.

ReputationRep:
    Often he'll be pretty close to the mark on the issues he talks about, I can see why a lot of people would find him annoying though.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 28, 2013
Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.