Join TSR now for chat about life, relationships, fashion and more…Sign up now

Basics needed for cocktail making?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, for my 18th, I'm holding a dinner at my house for my close friends 5-6 people. As part of this, some have requested an interest in cocktail making, and I thought that this would be a fun idea.

However I have no idea what I would need, and starting from nothing as my parents don't keep alcohol in the house, what would I need to get in order for us to be able to play around and make a few cocktails, keeping in mind that I'm only looking to spend about 50 pounds on alcohol?

If it's too adventurous then I'll just stick to wine or cider, but I think it would be a good idea, and any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you don't need to spend much at all.

If you're just making regular cocktails all you really need is a shaker and some ice (as well as the alcohol of course) It might be a tenner maximum for the shaker and £1 for the ice.
    Half the fun is in the making, and playing around with different ingredients. So as well as the booze, get plenty of juices and things like grenadine which are pretty cheap.

I love making cocktails

ReputationRep:
    vodka's always a pretty good idea.

ReputationRep:
    Cocktail shaker, booze, ice & internet/recipes
    I picked up one for around a quid and has loads of recipes round the side
    • TSR Community Team
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    Make some vodka espressos.

Equal parts vodka, Kahlua and cold espresso coffee (I normally use a double of each). Shake over ice and pour into a martini glass (if you've got 'em).

As mentioned above, you'll find tons of recipes online, but that's one of my favourites. Reduce the amount of Kahlua if you don't want it too sweet.

ReputationRep:
    You can buy the whole kit really cheaply - a tenner can probably get you a Boston shaker with glass, bar spoon, hawthorne strainer and thimble measures. Also prepare some ice. You can cover quite a few cocktails with vodka, gin and light rum, assuming you already have some mixers. You should be able to get decent but inexpensive 70cl bottles of vodka (Stolichnaya, Русский Стандарт or even Finlandia), some Bacardi and Gordon's all for £50.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help, I've ordered a shaker now, it should be fun!

(Original post by Ho Chi Minh)
    You can buy the whole kit really cheaply - a tenner can probably get you a Boston shaker with glass, bar spoon, hawthorne strainer and thimble measures. Also prepare some ice. You can cover quite a few cocktails with vodka, gin and light rum, assuming you already have some mixers. You should be able to get decent but inexpensive 70cl bottles of vodka (Stolichnaya, Русский Стандарт or even Finlandia), some Bacardi and Gordon's all for £50.
    Yeah i reckon this is what I'm going to do, just get vodka and rum with a few mixers plus ice and just let everyone play around as they like.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.