Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering what tips people have for the PSYA4 exam. I have less than 3 months till this exam and I find some aspects really hard!

I am doing schizophrenia and addiction.

I find it hard to structure the essays. Any tips would be welcomed.

But mostly I struggle with research methods absolutely hate this section!!!

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve in every section especially research methods?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    hey is it edexcel? and 3 months its like 2 :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ineedtorevise127)
    I was wondering what tips people have for the PSYA4 exam. I have less than 3 months till this exam and I find some aspects really hard!

Does anyone have any tips on how I can improve in every section especially research methods?
    Thanks
    revise the heck out of research. it is pretty much as level with the statistics put in. just make a table with why each test is used n rote learn it. i foolishly didnt, but luckily the one i revised a min before the exam came up (im resitting however)

for schizophrenia know your research n what it does for the patient. i learnt this section easier than others because i could imagine a schizophrenic asking all these questions and a doctor giving them (meant revision was easier)

i dont do addiction im afraid cant help on that

oh and practice essay structures

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craming Revision)
    hey is it edexcel? and 3 months its like 2 :/
    Nope AQA and yeah my bad 2 months and a few weeks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megfashion)
    revise the heck out of research. it is pretty much as level with the statistics put in. just make a table with why each test is used n rote learn it. i foolishly didnt, but luckily the one i revised a min before the exam came up (im resitting however)

for schizophrenia know your research n what it does for the patient. i learnt this section easier than others because i could imagine a schizophrenic asking all these questions and a doctor giving them (meant revision was easier)

i dont do addiction im afraid cant help on that

oh and practice essay structures

Posted from TSR Mobile
    hey are you on edexcel? im resitting to!

ReputationRep:
    been poorly,so missed 90% of lessons on statistics,research methods&anomalstic psychology.
    Strrrrrrrrrressing out so much as im resitting unit 1,2 and 3 psych aqa too.Any advice on how i could catch up during the hols?PUHLEAAAAAASE:eek:

p.s i particularly struggle on the whole p=0.05% thing and rejecting/accepting null hypotheses.Its all jibberish to me?:/
    how would i make sense of all this?x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rumaanaa)
    been poorly,so missed 90% of lessons on statistics,research methods&anomalstic psychology.
    Strrrrrrrrrressing out so much as im resitting unit 1,2 and 3 psych aqa too.Any advice on how i could catch up during the hols?PUHLEAAAAAASE:eek:

p.s i particularly struggle on the whole p=0.05% thing and rejecting/accepting null hypotheses.Its all jibberish to me?:/
    how would i make sense of all this?x
    ive missed alot of lessons too. im also resitting all of psychology like you! haha. feel free to pm at any point we can discuss stuff

yer anomalistic... i hate the topic. i didnt actually revise for it (i knew i was going to fail so put my time elsewhere) last jan. its abit waffly i have to admit. im going to be writing up notes for it soon if you need help

ok so if p is LESS THAN or EQUAL TO 0.05, it means that the study is A-OK
    so for example, the experiment has a p of 0.49999 ... thats A-OK as it is less than 0.5
    now another experiment, p is 0.611111 ... that is NOT A-OK as it is more than 0.5

pretty much it for that, but then you have to go onto type 1 n type 2 testing. type 1 is when IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT. YOU THOUGHT IT WAS RIGHT BUT ITS WRONG.
    type 2 is when you thought it was wrong but you were right. i remember it as type 1 being really self-centred, and type 2 being very modest

(Original post by Craming Revision)
    hey are you on edexcel? im resitting to!
    sorry, aqa a

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=megfashion;42014924]ive missed alot of lessons too. im also resitting all of psychology like you! haha. feel free to pm at any point we can discuss stuff

yer anomalistic... i hate the topic. i didnt actually revise for it (i knew i was going to fail so put my time elsewhere) last jan. its abit waffly i have to admit. im going to be writing up notes for it soon if you need help

ok so if p is LESS THAN or EQUAL TO 0.05, it means that the study is A-OK
    so for example, the experiment has a p of 0.49999 ... thats A-OK as it is less than 0.5
    now another experiment, p is 0.611111 ... that is NOT A-OK as it is more than 0.5

pretty much it for that, but then you have to go onto type 1 n type 2 testing. type 1 is when IT IS ALL YOUR FAULT. YOU THOUGHT IT WAS RIGHT BUT ITS WRONG.
    type 2 is when you thought it was wrong but you were right. i remember it as type 1 being really self-centred, and type 2 being very modest

FINALY,someone who i can exactly relate to!:angelwings:i agree,anomalastic sucks.The only subtopics that stick in my head ganzfeld studies &approaches to why people believe in paranormal activity or whatever.Thats it, the rest of the content is so vague ,and as you said,waffly!Il defo need help so i'l pm you

With regards to the stats,if the study is Ok,would I accept the hypothesis and reject the null?

& an example of a type 1 error would that be ,for example,i accepted the hypothesis before my study and then after the study i find out my hypothesis is wrong :s ?idkkk, i might be taking a really basic approach to this!aagh wish i ddnt miss those lessons!the only bit i understand is the whole self centred and modest bit lol, if only i could answer like that in the real exam :')

p.s do you have any 12/12marker essays for unit1 or 2 ? the highest mine go are 9/12, don't wanna use my old stuff:P plus half of its in the bin!

ReputationRep:

Thanks

Hey im doing addiction too and when I've finished making my notes I will post them on here

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missemma1)
    Hey im doing addiction too and when I've finished making my notes I will post them on here
    Thanks that would be really helpful

ReputationRep:
    Thanks that would be really helpful
    I have uploaded some of my notes on here
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docx Addictive Behaviour.docx (24.9 KB, 804 views)

ReputationRep:
    I have attached above my notes for the learning model of smoking and the biological model for smoking.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rumaanaa)

FINALY,someone who i can exactly relate to!:angelwings:i agree,anomalastic sucks.The only subtopics that stick in my head ganzfeld studies &approaches to why people believe in paranormal activity or whatever.Thats it, the rest of the content is so vague ,and as you said,waffly!Il defo need help so i'l pm you

With regards to the stats,if the study is Ok,would I accept the hypothesis and reject the null?

& an example of a type 1 error would that be ,for example,i accepted the hypothesis before my study and then after the study i find out my hypothesis is wrong :s ?idkkk, i might be taking a really basic approach to this!aagh wish i ddnt miss those lessons!the only bit i understand is the whole self centred and modest bit lol, if only i could answer like that in the real exam :')

p.s do you have any 12/12marker essays for unit1 or 2 ? the highest mine go are 9/12, don't wanna use my old stuff:P plus half of its in the bin!
    yes correct for type 1 so you are an arrogant fool. you say "of course my study is correct, my null hypothesis is rejected and my hypothesis accepted because i am CLEARLY correct"
    then people find out after publication that you, an arrogant fool, were not correct :P (haha not you personally but it helps you remember it)

type 2 you are so modest and think actually maybe i was wrong, and so you accept the null hypothesis and reject your hypothesis
    then people find out after non-publication (maybe friends or something) "actually no you were correct dont be modest "

yes if the study is ok, you accept hypothesis, reject null. EASY mark just saying "and reject null hypothesis" :P

i just hate anomalistic. im going to revise that next so i never have to look at it again. :P

ReputationRep:
    I have uploaded some of my notes on here
    Great notes! Thanks
    I'm doing aqa depression + addiction if anyone has any model essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizkidani)
    Great notes! Thanks
    I'm doing aqa depression + addiction if anyone has any model essays?
    Hey I have finally completed my addiction notes. Here they are
    Attached Files
  2. File Type: docx cognitive model-smoking.docx (15.1 KB, 231 views)
  3. File Type: docx biological interventions.docx (15.3 KB, 174 views)
  4. File Type: docx gambling- biological model.docx (15.6 KB, 184 views)
  5. File Type: docx gambling- cognitive model.docx (15.6 KB, 213 views)
  6. File Type: docx gambling- learning model.docx (13.7 KB, 394 views)
  7. File Type: docx psychological interventions.docx (13.8 KB, 91 views)
  8. File Type: docx public health interventions.docx (15.3 KB, 141 views)
  9. File Type: docx risk factors.docx (15.4 KB, 158 views)
  10. File Type: docx The media can influence addictive behaviour in two ways.docx (14.7 KB, 118 views)

ReputationRep:
    Hey i did this last year, exact same topics and got an A

Remember grade boundaries are low so its easier to get better marks. Nonetheless, you need to revise for this exam! For the essays, i advice writing an easy to remember 'B' graded essay, making it easier to write them and remember them, an A* essay is just unrealistic. Look at what came up last time, likely it won't again so at worse you can rule these ones out. Honestly you need to remember what grades you get for Ao1 and Ao2 and structure your essay based on marks. Remembering lots of studies helps as even if it isn't as relevent you can throw them in and get some marks, anything helps! Also for ao3 its easy, again, put anything! Research methods, i always found this so easy, in the exam its pretty straight forward but i just found going over past exam papers helps, gives you an idea of the style of questions

p.s. look up how to draw a line graph, caught me out big time last year haha (stupid i know)

ReputationRep:
    Hey I have finally completed my addiction notes. Here they are
    Thank youu so muchh They look great :')

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Geeky)
    Hey i did this last year, exact same topics and got an A

Remember grade boundaries are low so its easier to get better marks. Nonetheless, you need to revise for this exam! For the essays, i advice writing an easy to remember 'B' graded essay, making it easier to write them and remember them, an A* essay is just unrealistic. Look at what came up last time, likely it won't again so at worse you can rule these ones out. Honestly you need to remember what grades you get for Ao1 and Ao2 and structure your essay based on marks. Remembering lots of studies helps as even if it isn't as relevent you can throw them in and get some marks, anything helps! Also for ao3 its easy, again, put anything! Research methods, i always found this so easy, in the exam its pretty straight forward but i just found going over past exam papers helps, gives you an idea of the style of questions

p.s. look up how to draw a line graph, caught me out big time last year haha (stupid i know)
    Ahh good advice! By the way how do you remember stuff? My memory is awful! :c

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wizkidani)
    Thank youu so muchh They look great :')
    No problem hope they help

ReputationRep:
    remembering stuff.. ahh .. i cant help there, i literally just kept reading over things, making flashcards for the cases as studies all you need to know, spider diagrams, rewriting the essay without looking, matching names to people you know or if they are funny turning into like a rude word (sound silly but helps) or little a little song in your head. Just do different methods, that way you don't get bored

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.