Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

All humans should become vegetarians Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SaraWarah)
    At A-level, you are asked to debate/write essays on a variety of topics. In this case, they're studying vegetarianism. I know that in some curricula you might study genetics, religion, culture etc.
    My mistake I was thinking Russian History for some reason :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ily_em)
    There is no arguing that if we all gave up meat it would help the environment.

People saying we need meat for health reasons are silly too. You can get enough protein and other nutrients without eating meat. I'd wager that a lot of vegetarians are healthier than a lot of meat eaters because they are concerned that their diet could be lacking, so manage to make up for it. Whereas there are loads of meat eaters who don't eat a healthy balanced diet at all, eating meat doesn't automatically mean you eat everything you need to.

I have also seen the argument that if we all suddenly stopped eating meat, all the animals reared for meat would be killed anyway so we may as well stop it. That's stupid though because if that did happen, after the initial death there wouldn't be any more killing as we wouldn't be raising animals for meat any more.

If anybody thought about it for more than 30 seconds they would realise the only argument for eating meat is the taste. There are many better arguments against it. Which makes me ashamed because I am also too selfish to give up eating it :sigh:
    Indeed. No-one has any moral ground here.

ReputationRep:
    I eat beef, you eat grass. Therefore, my food sh*ts on your food!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaAlex)
    Didn't know what forum to post this in, but I am doing my Russian A2 Level and the issue I want to debate on is 'all humans should become vegetarians.'

What do you think? Personally I think that yes, it would be very beneficial for many reasons such as health, environment and ethical reasons. However I see the problems in culture etc, and would appreciate different points of view.

P.S. This is not my point of view, I am only doing this topic because I have many things to say and can show off good vocabulary: no negs
    Most people in Britain are two-thirds vegetarian already - because most people in Britain like meat and two veg. Boom, boom.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Americandream)
    I don't think it's beneficial at all. Fine if you are a vegetarian because of animal rights and cruelty to animals etc. etc. but to become a vegetarian on the grounds of everyone else becoming one is silly-would you jump off a cliff because everyone else was or someone was telling you?

Humans are animals and we still all need that meat for are health, protein and vitamins. Eating meat was second nature when we were cavemen and it still is underneath, but society had forced us to put up a facade.

However, I'm probably going to sound hypocritical here, society has forced me to put up a facade because even though I eat meat, I do only eat free range but that is only because what the factories churn out probably hasn't seen meat in its life and is pumped full of chemicals and hormones so then that leads to health concerns.
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    My teeth are designed to eat both meat and veg, so I shall eat both.
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    If lions eat antelopes in nature, if whales eat kryll in nature, if meerkats eat worms and bugs in nature, why should we be any different in our approach to eating meat? They provide us with proteins to help our development therefore being a vegetarian is not beneficial to us at all.
    https://yourlogicalfallacyis.com/appeal-to-nature

ReputationRep:
    its all part of nature to eat meat. Never met a vegetarian lion in the wild so i don't see the problem with it and many people can source their meat responsibly and sustainably.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't know what forum to post this in, but I am doing my Russian A2 Level and the issue I want to debate on is 'all humans should become vegetarians.'

What do you think? Personally I think that yes, it would be very beneficial for many reasons such as health, environment and ethical reasons. However I see the problems in culture etc, and would appreciate different points of view.

P.S. This is not my point of view, I am only doing this topic because I have many things to say and can show off good vocabulary: no negs
    As a more reasoned answer than "no because bacon" like some previous posters, I personally would find it hard to live on a vegetarian diet due to my anemia. Without eating meat I become very lethargic and don't get much work done. Yes, you can get iron from vegetable sources and tablets, but the human body is able to use the iron from meat sources much more efficiently, so it has a larger effect in keeping me going.

Good luck and hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    My Ecology course teacher led us to discuss about this the other day... In terms of biology, we need all the nutrients meat provides us. I know we could replace it for other foods, but...
    Imagine if all the farms and places were cattle and other animals that provide meat, closed tomorrow. What would you do with all those animals? What would happen with all those people who work in the industry? What would become of their families? What would become of the big countries in the industry and culture like Argentina?

It would be hard to make all humanity stop eating meat. To give you an idea, historically speaking of how deeply rooted is the whole eating meat thing in us: about 500 years, the rich people were the only who ate meat, because they were the only ones that could actually afford it, and one of men's oldest practices was hunting so...

Hope I helped.

ReputationRep:
    I understand the argument, however, if that's the case, there would be no food chain. There always have been and always will be carnivorous and/or omnivorous animals with or without human consumption. Yes on one hand we do tend to OVER consume meat (and in my opinion the only problem with human consumption of meat) but we need meat to survive as our bodies have adapted to becoming omnivorous. Animals will always die with or without us eating them. It's nature.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Literally want lamb and minty gravy in and around my face all the time.

Yes, there are many reasons that humans should become vegetarian but I can't believe you can get what you get from eating meat ever so often: the pleasure of eating. Meat means pleasure. Vegetarian means being strict with yourself.

I do believe the trend is going in western society, that we are becoming more vegetarian: as in, average folk will choose to eat more vegetarian meals per week than thirty years ago, but to cut meat eating out completely? I think that will never ever happen.

ReputationRep:
    We should. It would solve so many problems.

But it will never happen because people are too selfish and unwilling to compromise to see the bigger picture.

ReputationRep:
    If you can make grass taste like steak I'm all for it.

ReputationRep:
    I am a vegan, on the basis of both animal rights and health values but I am biased towards the notion of the world going veggie. We probably would be healthier and kinder to animals but then I think of poorer countries that rely on the land for nutrition and health e.g if we told the Maasai that they couldn't eat animals, where would their food come from when hunting and farming is their most reliable source of food? It would be forcing them to adapt to a different culture and forget their tribal nature.

ReputationRep:
    Im afraid thats how the food chain works.

ReputationRep:
    No thanks, I like my horsemeat!

ReputationRep:

Not your point of view you say? :sherlock:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cl_steele)
    Not your point of view you say? :sherlock:
    No it isn't, i love meat and couldn't live without it, i see why people would find it beneficial

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    If lions eat antelopes in nature, if whales eat kryll in nature, if meerkats eat worms and bugs in nature, why should we be any different in our approach to eating meat? They provide us with proteins to help our development therefore being a vegetarian is not beneficial to us at all.
    I don't agree with the OP but using the fact that it occurs in nature to justify it is a poor argument. We could use the same argument to justify murder and rape.

ReputationRep:
    People saying it would "help the environment"

Erm food chains anyone?

If we were to suddenly stop eating meat we would have affected the whole cycle of the ecosystem so much it would probably have devastating effects

Now if we were to gradually ween out meat over a period of a thousand years maybe equilibrium would be restored less violently over time

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    No it isn't, i love meat and couldn't live without it, i see why people would find it beneficial

Posted from TSR Mobile
    But what you said in the OP is a point of view,

Look at bold, that's a point of view, you should explicitly state you enjoy meat but can see the benefits derived from not eating to meat

Poll
Which Fantasy Franchise is the best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.