Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

All humans should become vegetarians Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a vegetarian and on the road to becoming a vegan. I don't shove my reasons down people's throats and I think this is a matter everyone should decide on themselves, but I do believe that veganism is a lifestyle that can help our health, our planet and all the living organisms and there is no reason to oppose it.

If you're looking for more info on vegan diet and lifestyle, I suggest you watch the movie Forks over Knives.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaAlex)
    Didn't know what forum to post this in, but I am doing my Russian A2 Level and the issue I want to debate on is 'all humans should become vegetarians.'

What do you think? Personally I think that yes, it would be very beneficial for many reasons such as health, environment and ethical reasons. However I see the problems in culture etc, and would appreciate different points of view.

P.S. This is not my point of view, I am only doing this topic because I have many things to say and can show off good vocabulary: no negs
    Wtf did I just read?
    • Section Leader
    • Political Ambassador
    • Reporter Team

ReputationRep:
    The facts of the matter are that the world becoming vegetarian would have several positive outcomes. It would be better for the environment, better for animal welfare, better in general for people's health, etc. This is just the nature of things. The downside is that people like the taste of meat and would have to go without it.

Whether enjoyment is able to override those other benefits is down to personal opinion. My own view is that my enjoyment does not justify me to be complicit in the killing of animals, and so I am vegetarian.

ReputationRep:
    Humans are omnivores, thus I will carry on eating my bacon sandwiches.

ReputationRep:
    Animal rights in my opinion are limited to the right of no suffering. That includes battery caging, cruel slaughter and so forth. As omnivores we should aim to give them pleasant lives with no human-induced suffering or pain, and their death should match that.

We are omnivores, nature built us to eat animals as well as vegetables and fruit. There is no moral wrong in doing so; just because we possess more intelligence than other animals doesn't mean we should necessarily halt eating them assuming the above 'no suffering or pain' criteria is met.

There is no reason to believe that if humans were not the dominant species on Earth and, say, pigs were, that they would take the same ethical concerns into account and not eat us for food. Hence I don't buy into the whole 'we know better' argument.

ReputationRep:
    I do see the benefits to our environment that vegetarianism would bring, less destruction of crucial habitats simply for animals destined to be consumed by those frequenting McDonalds!

However we do require a balanced diet, so I would suggest one or two days of vegetarianism per week and the rest spent normal diet.

A good chance too boost nutrient levels and eating veggie is often a lot lower in sat fats, and therefore better for you!

ReputationRep:
    You will take my meat away from me when you prise it from my cold, dead hands

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MarinaAlex)
    Didn't know what forum to post this in, but I am doing my Russian A2 Level and the issue I want to debate on is 'all humans should become vegetarians.'

What do you think? Personally I think that yes, it would be very beneficial for many reasons such as health, environment and ethical reasons. However I see the problems in culture etc, and would appreciate different points of view.

P.S. This is not my point of view, I am only doing this topic because I have many things to say and can show off good vocabulary: no negs
    Say goodbye to your 2 green gems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kink)
    Literally want lamb and minty gravy in and around my face all the time.

Yes, there are many reasons that humans should become vegetarian but I can't believe you can get what you get from eating meat ever so often: the pleasure of eating. Meat means pleasure. Vegetarian means being strict with yourself.
    Your first sentence did make me giggle, I will admit

But as for being vegetarian means being strict with yourself; that is only the case if you have to force a dietary change in yourself from a formerly heavily meat based one.
    I found the transition incredibly easy because I've just never been that big a fan of meat. In actual fact, it was barely a transition at all! I'm sure my 'inner conscience' with regards to eating animals played a role in it, but I'm just happier not eating meat. For me, tofu katsu curry is pleasure

I think both sides of the 'vegetarian/meat debate' are interesting and both have their merits. Even eating meat from sustainable and local sources can have a huge impact (environmentally and ethically). I do feel it's important to know where you food comes from, although it's not always that easy.

At the end of the day, just do what's right for you

ReputationRep:
    So much wrong with the replies to this thread. If I had the same level of intelligence as most of the posters on this thread, I would probably come to the conclusion that eating meat makes you stupid.

My opinion is that people should become vegans if they have the resources for it. That includes everyone in the Western world, unless that have a medical condition which means they are unable to survive without meat/dairy/eggs etc. I know that in some areas of the world it would be impossible to become vegan because of the type of land they have, but the animals they eat tend to be freer when they are alive so it is a fairer system. I don't expect that this transition would happen overnight, so any concerns about the animals currently kept in captivity should be crushed (the concerns, not the animals!) - there would just be a gradual decline in demand as more people decided eating meat was no longer acceptable. Currently the suffering of animals is only considered when humans have nothing to lose from it - I hope that one day we will put an animal's right to avoid suffering above our desire for pleasure.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IdeasForLife)
    My teeth are designed to eat both meat and veg, so I shall eat both.
    That is debatable, it has been claimed our canines are for cracking nuts, regardless though, I'm still going to eat meat.

A more interesting debate would be, should we eat less meat, rather than eat no meat at all.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    So much wrong with the replies to this thread. If I had the same level of intelligence as most of the posters on this thread, I would probably come to the conclusion that eating meat makes you stupid.

My opinion is that people should become vegans if they have the resources for it. That includes everyone in the Western world, unless that have a medical condition which means they are unable to survive without meat/dairy/eggs etc. I know that in some areas of the world it would be impossible to become vegan because of the type of land they have, but the animals they eat tend to be freer when they are alive so it is a fairer system. I don't expect that this transition would happen overnight, so any concerns about the animals currently kept in captivity should be crushed (the concerns, not the animals!) - there would just be a gradual decline in demand as more people decided eating meat was no longer acceptable. Currently the suffering of animals is only considered when humans have nothing to lose from it - I hope that one day we will put an animal's right to avoid suffering above our desire for pleasure.
    And your proof for the undoubted suffering of animals who are raised properly and killed entirely humanely (through the bolt, for example) is.... ?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    And your proof for the undoubted suffering of animals who are raised properly and killed entirely humanely (through the bolt, for example) is.... ?
    I think premature death is suffering in itself. However, there are many issues with the treatment of animals within the animal industries. The first problem is that they are kept in captivity for their entire lives which is not much of a life. It might be alright for the few that have a field to graze in, but that is a minority of animals. Most of kept inside sheds with not enough room to move around properly. Secondly, the babies born into the animal industries are taken away from their mothers too young which cause distress to both the mother and baby. If these animals are not the 'right' sex they are either killed straight away (most male chicks are thrown straight into a grinder), killed a few weeks after birth after being fed an unnatural and unhealthy diet (male calves for veal) or if they're really lucky, be allowed a year or so alive before being killed for their meat.

Animals are treated terribly within the animal industries. That's what happens when you see animals as commodities rather than a being with feelings and needs. It is not just about the way they are killed (although that is far from perfect), it is about the life they have when they are alive.

ReputationRep:
    I think premature death is suffering in itself. However, there are many issues with the treatment of animals within the animal industries. The first problem is that they are kept in captivity for their entire lives which is not much of a life. It might be alright for the few that have a field to graze in, but that is a minority of animals. Most of kept inside sheds with not enough room to move around properly. Secondly, the babies born into the animal industries are taken away from their mothers too young which cause distress to both the mother and baby. If these animals are not the 'right' sex they are either killed straight away (most male chicks are thrown straight into a grinder), killed a few weeks after birth after being fed an unnatural and unhealthy diet (male calves for veal) or if they're really lucky, be allowed a year or so alive before being killed for their meat.

Animals are treated terribly within the animal industries. That's what happens when you see animals as commodities rather than a being with feelings and needs. It is not just about the way they are killed (although that is far from perfect), it is about the life they have when they are alive.
    So in summary your point only addresses those who aren't brought up properly or killed properly, contrary to what I actually asked? I asked if animals were treated humanely whilst they were alive and were killed properly in a manner where they would not feel pain, distress or suffering -- nor would they view they counterparts being killed -- would this be acceptable?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattKneale)
    So in summary your point only addresses those who aren't brought up properly or killed properly, contrary to what I actually asked? I asked if animals were treated humanely whilst they were alive and were killed properly in a manner where they would not feel pain, distress or suffering -- nor would they view they counterparts being killed -- would this be acceptable?
    It depends what you mean by 'properly'. This is how it is even, even in this country which has higher animal welfare standards than in most other countries. We can't really know how much suffering an animal goes through when we kill them, but it is still remains that killing an animal before it would naturally die is depriving them of life. They are obviously not aware of the life they have lost because they are dead, but then neither is a murder victim.

ReputationRep:
    It depends what you mean by 'properly'. This is how it is even, even in this country which has higher animal welfare standards than in most other countries.
    Then that's an argument to improve standards, not to halt the whole process.

We can't really know how much suffering an animal goes through when we kill them
    You have no more reason to assume distress; biologically they would not feel a thing being shot in the head by a bolt. If they're led into the slaughter house separate from their counterparts, they would not know about subsequent danger.

but it is still remains that killing an animal before it would naturally die is depriving them of life.
    All omnivoress kill other animals by depriving them of life. We just do it with technology, and in a far more humane manner than other animals. Should we train all omnivores to stop eating meat? Reminds me of this sketch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSLQu-d6ZQ

They are obviously not aware of the life they have lost because they are dead, but then neither is a murder victim.
    Again, this assumes moral equivalence. Which is not proven. Also a murder victim would tend to know and feel distress prior to their death, which in our ideal animal death scenario they would not.

ReputationRep:
    But then what would I do with the corpses of the animals I kill?

ReputationRep:
    You really do think a lot of yourself, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    You really do think a lot of yourself, don't you?
    If you haven't already seen her around, she's that stereotypical hippy feminist type.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pizzle223)
    Why would we?

If we are then why not ask animal to do the same?
    Yes you have a point, but you also have to remember that humans are by far the most invasive, costly and "troublesome" species on the planet.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.