Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically - I've had a complete change of heart from doing law to doing neuroscience. I have AS levels in biology and maths but I dropped them in favour of essay based subjects when I wanted to do law. I'm planning on taking a year out, self studying and finishing my biology and maths as levels and doing a whole chemistry a level OR resisting the year of sixth form to attend classes in A2 bio and maths at my sixth form to finish them off, while attending As/A2 classes for chem, to help me do it in one year

I would be predicted 3 As in chem bio and maths and I am hoping to finish this school year with A*A*A*A in English, history, French and economics respectively. Would Cambridge consider me if I resit the year? Or would they see me as a candidate who couldn't do sixth form in 2 years like everybody else.

Seriously regretting my choices right now please help..

ReputationRep:
    yea, yolo swag

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    wouldn't waste a year on a levels, far too young

ReputationRep:
    wouldnt recommend it with the Alevel changes next year, but seeing you don't really have a choice going from law to science, sounds like you might have to.
    and if you get good grades like youre predicted this year, i dont see why cambridge should reject you because you had a change of heart. It's not like you didnt do well enough the first time right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by igloo1)
    wouldnt recommend it with the Alevel changes next year, but seeing you don't really have a choice going from law to science, sounds like you might have to.
    and if you get good grades like youre predicted this year, i dont see why cambridge should reject you because you had a change of heart. It's not like you didnt do well enough the first time right?
    Ohhh dear, what A-Level changes?:eek::no:

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Molly9)
    Basically - I've had a complete change of heart from doing law to doing neuroscience. I have AS levels in biology and maths but I dropped them in favour of essay based subjects when I wanted to do law. I'm planning on taking a year out, self studying and finishing my biology and maths as levels and doing a whole chemistry a level OR resisting the year of sixth form to attend classes in A2 bio and maths at my sixth form to finish them off, while attending As/A2 classes for chem, to help me do it in one year

I would be predicted 3 As in chem bio and maths and I am hoping to finish this school year with A*A*A*A in English, history, French and economics respectively. Would Cambridge consider me if I resit the year? Or would they see me as a candidate who couldn't do sixth form in 2 years like everybody else.

Seriously regretting my choices right now please help..
    Hi Molly9,

A post-A2 applicant, I received an offer from Cambridge for history. An illness had overshadowed my final year of school and I ended up with A*AAA. Despite this, I have a conditional offer and need another A*; when I applied I stated on my form that I would be retaking 2 A-levels. Just go for it: if you don't try, you'll never know. G'luck! x

EDIT: Why the neg?

ReputationRep:
    I think chemistry is half coursework half exam at my school, so hopefully there shouldn't be too much of a change. And since I've already done half of my biology and maths course, surely I'd only have to sit the remaining two exams anyway?
    I know it's a long shot but its the only way I can see myself being able to do this course :/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 3mma_gal96)
    Ohhh dear, what A-Level changes?:eek::no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No january exams. They're all in summer..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T_x)
    Hi Molly9,

A post-A2 applicant, I received an offer from Cambridge for history. An illness had overshadowed my final year of school and I ended up with A*AAA. Despite this, I have a conditional offer and need another A*; when I applied I stated on my form that I would be retaking 2 A-levels. Just go for it: if you don't try, you'll never know. G'luck! x
    Thanks this is really encouraging! I would state in my personal statement that I'm re doing the year to finish my science/maths a levels after realising that this is my main focus and maybe that will show my dedication.. From the looks of cambridge's entry requirements it looks like if I managed to get an offer it would be AA or A*A in chemistry and biology or maths, not all three, so that's not too bad and would mean I had a bit of leeway as I would already have A*/A in other subjects

thank you! X

ReputationRep:
    I think chemistry is half coursework half exam at my school, so hopefully there shouldn't be too much of a change. And since I've already done half of my biology and maths course, surely I'd only have to sit the remaining two exams anyway?
    I know it's a long shot but its the only way I can see myself being able to do this course :/
    when you say you've done half the biology course, do you mean you've done the AS part and just need to do A2? Because that'd 2 exams per subject in AS/ A2 years. So youd have 4 exams if you were doing A2 bio and maths. Not saying it'll be easy, but easier than if doing the normal 3 subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Doing it over three years won't hurt your Cambridge admission chances

They may will even see you as more committed to the course - you're willing to do that extra year in order to study their subject.

ReputationRep:
    when you say you've done half the biology course, do you mean you've done the AS part and just need to do A2? Because that'd 2 exams per subject in AS/ A2 years. So youd have 4 exams if you were doing A2 bio and maths. Not saying it'll be easy, but easier than if doing the normal 3 subjects.
    Yeah I did Maths and Biology AS last year so I would just be doing the 2 A2 exams in both subjects, so 4 exams. However, I would be doing the whole chemistry course in one year - which is the real challenge as I believe it's coursework and exams. I haven't done chem for 2 years and although I got an A* at GCSE I know it'll be a lot harder, so that's where I think it'll be difficult!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fluteflute)
    Doing it over three years won't hurt your Cambridge admission chances

They may will even see you as more committed to the course - you're willing to do that extra year in order to study their subject.
    Thats what I was hoping, mentioning in my personal statement that I realised how much I wanted to do the course after I looked into it so decided to do an extra year to get the right a levels!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did Maths and Biology AS last year so I would just be doing the 2 A2 exams in both subjects, so 4 exams. However, I would be doing the whole chemistry course in one year - which is the real challenge as I believe it's coursework and exams. I haven't done chem for 2 years and although I got an A* at GCSE I know it'll be a lot harder, so that's where I think it'll be difficult!
    I see. That WILL be difficult. Saying that half of chem is coursework, it makes it slightly easier surely? I dont know, try it. Like i said, see what's in clearing, ring them if they'll accept you with what you have and if not do chem, bio A2 and maths A2.
    Good luck, because i can guarantee this will be a challenge!

ReputationRep:
    I see. That WILL be difficult. Saying that half of chem is coursework, it makes it slightly easier surely? I dont know, try it. Like i said, see what's in clearing, ring them if they'll accept you with what you have and if not do chem, bio A2 and maths A2.
    Good luck, because i can guarantee this will be a challenge!
    Thanks! Yeah I'm hoping that the coursework aspect should be okay considering I can get on with it in my own time and teachers can mark it and give me direction, just going to have to work hard!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I did Maths and Biology AS last year so I would just be doing the 2 A2 exams in both subjects, so 4 exams.
    I think most exam boards have a 6 module Maths A level? So you'd be doing 3 exams for Maths.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scillage)
    I think most exam boards have a 6 module Maths A level? So you'd be doing 3 exams for Maths.
    Yes apologies I'd be doing C3 C4 and S2 because my school do edexcel maths

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hexagon999)
    A levels are soooooo easy. Got myself my 8a*s
    Well done that's impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hexagon999)
    twas a joke...
    I was being sarcastic..

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.