Join TSR now and chat with students like youSign up now

Urgent Help Needed: Can't Find My Spider Watch

ReputationRep:
    I took a white tail spider home from Australia in a glass jar and have had it ever since. I've been back home so long now I often forget it is there (always remember to feed it etc though lol)

So today the bathroom was getting redone and the workmen must have been banging on the wall which happens to be the same wall my shelf is on. I came into my room after work to find several books among broken glass over the floor. Confused for a split second and then fear when I realised that the venomous spider was not actually squashed under the books.

I am quite worried as these spiders can give bites causing necrotising arachnidism and what is worse is they are not web spiders, so given hte temperature outside it will be in no mood to go outside on its own accord and will find a dark place to hide during the day eg beds, clothes etc. The reason I took it home was because I saw several of these spiders while I was there, most of them a similar size to a large spider in the UK, maybe just more bulky. So when I saw this one I was fascinated, it was like a small huntsman almost, I had to take it home with me, it was too much of a beast to leave it there and get gobbled up by some other spider see the underside of someone's shoe. The reason I am saying this is because a spider this size will very likely give a necrotic bite.

Is there any known ways to drive a spider out? Or if I turn my heating off would the temperature drop enough to kill it you think? I would prefer to find it so I know it isn't on the run still. Anyone ever lost a pet spider before? A girl I know lost one and it was never seen again, but it was harmless. ****!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bestofyou)
    I took a white tail spider home from Australia in a glass jar and have had it ever since. I've been back home so long now I often forget it is there (always remember to feed it etc though lol)

So today the bathroom was getting redone and the workmen must have been banging on the wall which happens to be the same wall my shelf is on. I came into my room after work to find several books among broken glass over the floor. Confused for a split second and then fear when I realised that the venomous spider was not actually squashed under the books.

I am quite worried as these spiders can give bites causing necrotising arachnidism and what is worse is they are not web spiders, so given hte temperature outside it will be in no mood to go outside on its own accord and will find a dark place to hide during the day eg beds, clothes etc. The reason I took it home was because I saw several of these spiders while I was there, most of them a similar size to a large spider in the UK, maybe just more bulky. So when I saw this one I was fascinated, it was like a small huntsman almost, I had to take it home with me, it was too much of a beast to leave it there and get gobbled up by some other spider see the underside of someone's shoe. The reason I am saying this is because a spider this size will very likely give a necrotic bite.

Is there any known ways to drive a spider out? Or if I turn my heating off would the temperature drop enough to kill it you think? I would prefer to find it so I know it isn't on the run still. Anyone ever lost a pet spider before? A girl I know lost one and it was never seen again, but it was harmless. ****!!!
    For starters white tails usually need 25C plus temps to truly thrive. It will most likely be sluggish and die on its own.

Oh, and on the topic of the bite, most white tail spider bites are harmless but occasionally a severe reaction may result in a deep ulcer.

White-tailed Spider bites can cause initial burning pain followed by swelling and itchiness at the bitten area. Occasionally, wealds, blistering or local ulceration have been reported - conditions known medically as necrotising arachnidism. As well as the spider's venom, minor bacterial infection of the wound may be a contributory factor in such cases.
    A debate continues about the involvement of White-tailed Spider bite in cases of severe ulcerative skin lesions seen in patients diagnosed as probable spider bite victims. Typically, in such cases no direct evidence of spider bite is available. Sensational media reporting of supposed cases of severe "necrotising arachnidism" has given the White-tailed Spider a bad reputation. However, a recent study has monitored the medical outcomes of over 100 verified White-tailed Spider bites and found not a single case of ulceration (confirming the results of an earlier study). The available evidence suggests that skin ulceration is not a common outcome of White-tailed Spider bite.

ReputationRep:
    I find it extremely hard to believe you successfully brought an animal back from Australia.

Poll
If you won £30,000, which of these would you spend it on?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.