Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

That's what she said,Women students experiences of 'lad culture' in higher education Watch

ReputationRep:
    Here is the link to an NUS study into women student experiences at University with regard to the 'lad' culture. It is incredibly insightful, has anyone else read it?
    http://www.nus.org.uk/Global/Campaig...inal%20web.pdf

ReputationRep:
    The piece made three huge contradictions which highlight the hypocrisy of those who wish to 'ban lad culture':

1. Lad Culture is assumed as a culture - The study which Kelly Temple has endeavoured to show is that we live in a multicultural society. This is contradictory to the nature of 'banning' lad culture then, if Temple makes lad culture a cultural difference within our society. And if she is as 'liberal' as she implies she is, she'll recognise that her attempts to ban/impose different culture on another is post-imperial dogma.

2. 'Empowering' through censorship- - Temple seems to think that silencing people from making jokes which are 'misogynistic and homophobic' and banning pages such as UniLad on medias is the right way to tackle lad culture, purely to marginalise the freedoms and liberties of those she disagrees with. There is the strong implication that media forms eg. Facebook sites such as UniLad or The Lad Bible should be removed. I think this goes against just about every notion of what freedom of expression means. She is a fascist, a hypocrite and simply cannot stand knowing someone is making a joke. Pages like these exist, but they aren't getting shoved in anyone's faces - if you don't like the humour of it then don't like the page and ignore it, no one is forcing you to look at it.

3. Women need empowerment - If women need empowerment then this is feminism saying that it is weak. If you truly believe yourself equal to others then don't bring your own negative perceptions of your gender to the table when the chips are down. The whole article revels in the idea that quotas need to be met, but this ignores the idea that men will be marginalised in the process. What the hell ever happened to the idea of 'best person for the job'? By suggesting that employment should be based upon sex, Temple is only furthering sexism and creating a boundary between the sexes that stalls any equality. She is not interested in such an idea anyway.

Whilst I don't always find the humour of Lad culture, I think the attempts to 'ban' it are pathetic and a poor, straw-man attempt at removing personal liberties and freedom of expression. Trying to remove the websites and Facebook pages is one thing, but the implication that jokes and personal conversations should be reported is incredibly totalitarian.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Thanks for this link. I'm about a third of the way through and it's very interesting so far - very detailed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    The piece made three huge contradictions which highlight the hypocrisy of those who wish to 'ban lad culture':

1. Lad Culture is assumed as a culture - The study which Kelly Temple has endeavoured to show is that we live in a multicultural society. This is contradictory to the nature of 'banning' lad culture then, if Temple makes lad culture a cultural difference within our society. And if she seriously expects people

2. 'Empowering' through censorship- - Temple seems to think that silencing people from making jokes which are 'misogynistic and homophobic' and banning pages such as UniLad on medias is the right way to tackle lad culture, purely to marginalise the freedoms and liberties of those she disagrees with. There is the strong implication that media forms eg. Facebook sites such as UniLad or The Lad Bible should be removed. I think this goes against just about every notion of what freedom of expression means. She is a fascist, a hypocrite and simply cannot stand knowing someone is making a joke. Pages like these exist, but they aren't getting shoved in anyone's faces - if you don't like the humour of it then don't like the page and ignore it, no one is forcing you to look at it.

3. Women need empowerment - If women need empowerment then this is feminism saying that it is weak. If you truly believe yourself equal to others then don't bring your own negative perceptions of your gender to the table when the chips are down. The whole article revels in the idea that quotas need to be met, but this ignores the idea that men will be marginalised in the process. What the hell ever happened to the idea of 'best person for the job'? By suggesting that employment should be based upon sex, Temple is only furthering sexism and creating a boundary between the sexes that stalls any equality. She is not interested in such an idea anyway.

Whilst I don't always find the humour of Lad culture, I think the attempts to 'ban' it are pathetic and a poor, straw-man attempt at removing personal liberties and freedom of expression. Trying to remove the websites and Facebook pages is one thing, but the implication that jokes and personal conversations should be reported is incredibly totalitarian.
    Whilst I agree with you that there is the element of freedom of expression, and that this shouldn't be banned per se, I think the culture itself needs to be changed. I have been sexual assaulted twice, so has my best friend, and two of my girl cousins. The statistics of sexual assault are not shocking, and the 'liberalisation' of rape is becoming more and more evident. It's more and more acceptable for guys to talk about girls as if they are raping them, and then it's supposed to be funny. Something needs to be done about that, it's not funny, it's illegal and thats the point where freedom of expression for me, turns to something more sinister.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insignificant)
    the 'liberalisation' of rape is becoming more and more evident. It's more and more acceptable for guys to talk about girls as if they are raping them, and then it's supposed to be funny.
    Really? I don't think so. Rape is a bigger issue now than ever before.
    Also making a rape joke doesn't mean you condone rape.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by Kiss)
    I have not read the part where it advocates 'banning lad culture'.

ReputationRep:
    I can't help that I'm missing out on this whole lad culture business.

I know there is a general direction of humour towards things like "make me a sandwich, woman!", but I've never really seen much of a connection or support of rape.

(Original post by Tabzqt)
    Really? I don't think so. Rape is a bigger issue now than ever before.
    Also making a rape joke doesn't mean you condone rape.
    Exactly, I've seen very very few people actually consider rape acceptable, and I doubt they were serious. The only people I've seen taking an extreme stance of rape, are those that believe it is the worst crime in existence.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AyWill)
    This line reminds me of the poster's I used to see up around school. 'Laugh with a bully and you are a bully'.

Although I am not saying 'Laugh at a rape joke, you are a rapist' its resonance is similar. You are making it more socially acceptable, simply making it sound trivial...It is not.
    The equivalent to your analogy is laughing at specific rape victims and patting rapists on the back. It is trivial. Jokes mostly entail hypothetical suffering, so what you're proposing is a ban on jokes?

ReputationRep:
    This line reminds me of the poster's I used to see up around school. 'Laugh with a bully and you are a bully'.

Although I am not saying 'Laugh at a rape joke, you are a rapist' its resonance is similar. You are making it more socially acceptable, simply making it sound trivial...It is not.
    That's ridiculous. If a comedian made a joke about a serial killer you wouldn't say that he is making murder socially acceptable. Why say the same for rape? The fact is that much of comedy is based on human suffering. You're almost certainly a hypocrite, as I'm certain you've laughed at least one joke which could be considered offensive.

ReputationRep:
    As one focus group participant told us,
    ‘every single sports club still has initiations’.There wasa clear gender divide apparent, with examples of men’s initiations including students drinking until they were
    sick and then being forced to drink their own vomit, urinating on their teammates, licking beer from each other’s testicles and inserting hard-boiled eggs into
    their rectums.
    (no homo)
    Some were more extreme, as described by a focus group participant below:
    “They got the new freshers to line up in a row completely naked. Then the three guys with the smallest penises were taken five miles away and abandoned and they had to find their way back.[In another example] someone had to take loads of roofies, go take the entire bottom half of their clothes off, and run through this famous anal rape area of a park. And if they got to the end without passing out, it was impressive. And if they didn’t, then they would just pass out and be left. They can be really brutal.” (Participant K)
    :wtf:

ReputationRep:
    I have been sexual assaulted twice, so has my best friend, and two of my girl cousins
    Can you tell me how lad culture leads to an increase in sexual assault? Most of these guys are merely making jokes, and wouldn't dream of sexually assaulting someone. Anyone who hears these jokes and assumes that sexual assault is somehow justified is dangerous and stupid.

ReputationRep:

The problem with this is that it suggests finding something funny is a voluntary action. I'm not convinced of that at all.

ReputationRep:
    Whilst I agree with you that there is the element of freedom of expression, and that this shouldn't be banned per se, I think the culture itself needs to be changed. I have been sexual assaulted twice, so has my best friend, and two of my girl cousins. The statistics of sexual assault are not shocking, and the 'liberalisation' of rape is becoming more and more evident. It's more and more acceptable for guys to talk about girls as if they are raping them, and then it's supposed to be funny. Something needs to be done about that, it's not funny, it's illegal and thats the point where freedom of expression for me, turns to something more sinister.
    So you think you were sexually assaulted because someone made a joke about sexual assault?
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by PythianLegume)
    Can you tell me how lad culture leads to an increase in sexual assault? Most of these guys are merely making jokes, and wouldn't dream of sexually assaulting someone. Anyone who hears these jokes and assumes that sexual assault is somehow justified is dangerous and stupid.

But most of the guys are normal. Some are not, and take it seriously. We all knew that kid at school that didn't get that Little Britain/Ali G were parodies. I mean even in halls I was the only one who knew Keith Lemon was a persona.

And it only takes one idiot who takes it seriously. Whilst it's obvious that they're joking, they're joking about rape and sexual assault fairly often. I also know that if I was a woman I'd not know for absolute certain that it really was a joke, because most jokey things you say to eachother are based on some shred of reality.

ReputationRep:
    Some interesting recommendations in that report, actually. I particularly liked the part where they outlined the problem for 60 pages then had 3 paragraphs on what can be done (in conclusion: 'more' can be done). I know the report wasn't designed to address how this can be improved, but quite frankly just pointing out the problem is a bit of a waste of time.

ReputationRep:
    That's ridiculous. If a comedian made a joke about a serial killer you wouldn't say that he is making murder socially acceptable. Why say the same for rape? The fact is that much of comedy is based on human suffering. You're almost certainly a hypocrite, as I'm certain you've laughed at least one joke which could be considered offensive.
    I agree, South Park makes many politically incorrect jokes and its extremely popular. I've made and laughed at jokes at every groups expense (minority or otherwise) despite the fact that i have woman, black and gay friends.

(Original post by Redolent)
    The problem with this is that it suggests finding something funny is a voluntary action. I'm not convinced of that at all.
    Elaborate, people only laugh if they find something funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snagprophet)
    So you think you were sexually assaulted because someone made a joke about sexual assault?
    No, I believe both instances of sexual assault were attributed to men thinking because I was so drunk it was okay to rape me because I didn't say yes or no because I wasn't physically capable of doing so and then later seeing on Facebook that I was according to them "well up for it" and "get in lad another one slammed" . Rest assured I haven't drunk a drop of alcohol in 3 years nor have I gone to a nightclub since.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hal.E.Lujah)
    most jokey things you say to eachother are based on some shred of reality.
    not about rape though.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    not about rape though.

As I said, if the joke was about me and I was a woman, being constantly told how men are this and that, I'm not sure I wouldn't worry it was based on something serious like other jokes are.

ReputationRep:
    No, I believe both instances of sexual assault were attributed to men thinking because I was so drunk it was okay to rape me because I didn't say yes or no because I wasn't physically capable of doing so and then later seeing on Facebook that I was according to them "well up for it" and "get in lad another one slammed" . Rest assured I haven't drunk a drop of alcohol in 3 years nor have I gone to a nightclub since.
    1) Were you actually sexually assaulted or raped, the two are technically different

2) Given that both are crimes and the legal system favours women, did you have then arrested

3) Do you really think these people did only to get glorification from their friends

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.