Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Playing 5 a side tournament, not on form Watch

ReputationRep:
    So this Friday I will be playing in a tournament and I've been on a bit of a bad run of form lately.

Last tournament I played in, even if I am blowing my own horn slightly, I did play pretty well. After my team got knocked out, my friends team needed another person and even though there were better players than me on my team (on paper), he asked me because I'd been playing well and we carried on playing well.

The thing with this tournament is that I'm going in on quite a cold streak. I last played footy two mondays ago. I haven't scored in something like 5 weeks (minimum 1 game a week) and when I play on the 3G pitch (which is what this pitch will be like), my last couple of games haven't gone that well. My passing and shooting have both been a bit off, and my first touch hasn't been all that. My only plus side is that my movement off the ball has gotten better.

My fitness won't be 100% then because I won't have played for over a week (and I don't really do any other kind of exercise).

Do you guys have an tips or anything to make me play atleast OK on Friday, and hopefully I'll sort myself out on the night?

ReputationRep:
    just go in goal

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    So this Friday I will be playing in a tournament and I've been on a bit of a bad run of form lately.

Last tournament I played in, even if I am blowing my own horn slightly, I did play pretty well. After my team got knocked out, my friends team needed another person and even though there were better players than me on my team (on paper), he asked me because I'd been playing well and we carried on playing well.

The thing with this tournament is that I'm going in on quite a cold streak. I last played footy two mondays ago. I haven't scored in something like 5 weeks (minimum 1 game a week) and when I play on the 3G pitch (which is what this pitch will be like), my last couple of games haven't gone that well. My passing and shooting have both been a bit off, and my first touch hasn't been all that. My only plus side is that my movement off the ball has gotten better.

My fitness won't be 100% then because I won't have played for over a week (and I don't really do any other kind of exercise).

Do you guys have an tips or anything to make me play atleast OK on Friday, and hopefully I'll sort myself out on the night?
    Get a bit touchy with the defense get in their minds. Don't think twice if you see the goal, shoot! and, If you do not see yourself scoring pass the ball and finally keep the ball and watch runs from other members of your team and give some through balls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Galileo Galilei)
    Get a bit touchy with the defense get in their minds. Don't think twice if you see the goal, shoot! and, If you do not see yourself scoring pass the ball and finally keep the ball and watch runs from other members of your team and give some through balls
    Not much else to do is there annoyingly. Just need to try and play with confidence and realise where the weakness is in my form when I start.

Do you have any tips for fitness? I'm guessing the first game I'm going to be absolutely knackered, but after that, fingers crossed I get used to it again and start running slightly normally.

ReputationRep:
    Why do you do some running for fitness?

Also during the game, show a high defensive work rate, press players on the ball and track back. This will make up for any bad passes or shots you make. Also you team mates will appalled you for this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apple1992)
    Why do you do some running for fitness?

Also during the game, show a high defensive work rate, press players on the ball and track back. This will make up for any bad passes or shots you make. Also you team mates will appalled you for this.
    It's on Friday, so the day after tomorrow. Will it really help if I do anything tomorrow?

And yeah that defensive is a good reminder. I sometimes forget to track back or chase the ball.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claret_n_blue)
    It's on Friday, so the day after tomorrow. Will it really help if I do anything tomorrow?

And yeah that defensive is a good reminder. I sometimes forget to track back or chase the ball.
    Yeah maybe a quick jog will help to losen the muscles

ReputationRep:
    5 a side is about shooting. Most keepers aren't very good and don't know much, if you get your shot away quickly they won't be expecting it and even a fairly badly placed shot can go in or trickle in off a hand. Take the first time shots after the ball bobbles in your favour, take shots quickly on the turn or from tight angles. Even if you don't score, the rebound may come for you or your team via the keepers gloves, the post or the opposite side walls. If you know that the keeper you're playing against is good, then stay patient and try shooting from range - most players who have a decently powerful long range (ie 15-20yard) shot will score a couple if you give them space, merely because 15 yards really isn't that far.

This is all assuming that you have a fairly powerful and decent shot; if you don't sit a bit deeper, position yourself well to mop up the loose balls and then just play the simple passes. Make yourself available for the simple passes in return and obviously always remember to keep moving after you've played your pass - quick 1-2s are the easiest way to beat defenders in 5 a side.

In terms of defence, it's about winning loose balls so acceleration is really important, and about hounding your player into the corner. Your keeper should be good enough to save most shots from the corner areas so if you try and jockey your player so that they are forced towards the corner then you'll see a lot of shots going into the side netting or across the face of goal, which isn't the worst thing in the world. When defending, getting the ball to your keeper is not always the best tactic, it allows the opposition defence to regroup... if you designate one guy, preferably a speedster, to be your 'counter-man', the guy who's always in space for the quick release pass, then what we used to do well was to pass to the keeper who'd pick it up and throw, or pass first time, to this guy, who'd end up 1 on 1 and we'd have some fun. When defending don't be afraid to use your body.

If you aren't playing well then try and just do the simple things, simple passes, don't take risks, get into space, don't leave yourself too high up the pitch, leave the goalscoring for someone else and work hard when defending.

ReputationRep:
    You're over thinking it.. Just get out and play your best.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: March 30, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.