Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

I was just wondering if any fellow TSR-ians had attempted to write a book, or even better got one published.

At the moment I'm writing two books:

One is an autobiography about my experiences at secondary school and college: full of bullying and some fun and laughter - I'm trying to make it comedic to overshadow some of the dark things that happened during this time.

The other is a sci-fi fiction book that is a cross between the War of the Worlds and Avatar, set in the future with the Americans as the antagonists.

So is there anyone else that's written a book, or is writing a book? and if so, what is it on?

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently writing a fantasy book set in a world I've spent years creating. The problem is I'm not the most....engaging author and therefore find it difficult to express everything I've thought of. Progress has been slow as a result!

ReputationRep:
    I'm 'writing' one on and off at the minute. I started it for NaNoWriMo last November but it didn't work out to completion (other commitments). It's sort of an LG(and a little B and T) themed book which I guess is more a political statement story? If that makes any sense at all! Really just need the time to sit down and write now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm jealous, I would love to be able to write a book, but I find I am never happy with what I write, I find it always sounds too cliché or to much like another book I've read.

I'm considering doing the "write a novel in a month" which is in November.

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing different things at a time, but very slow at the moment. I only write when I have a 'strong feeling' to, that's why...

ReputationRep:
    Plenty of time when you retire? Just make sure you record your ideas; assuming people will still read by the time you get round to it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a short story ATM, but I don't want to go into too much detail about what it's about as I don't want someone else to get the idea of writing the same kind of story and so potentially steal my thunder. The most that I'll say is that it's short historical fiction.

ReputationRep:
    I'm also in the process at attempting to "write" a book although it's not coming a long too great!
    It's a long a similar basis regarding high school and struggles although mines an attempt at a "motivational" piece..... Hope for the best!

ReputationRep:
    I think for some books it's easier to write them based on memories that you have - as then you can more accurately describe them and link one idea to the next.

The problem I'm having with my fiction book is attempting to do it with no plan and making it up as I go along. It seems to be okay at the beginning as I know what I want to happen, but describing it in enough detail whilst keeping the reader interested could become a problem. I can see the lack of a plan becoming problematic as I reach the climax and the end of the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MalteseMalteser)
    One is an autobiography about my experiences at secondary school and college: full of bullying and some fun and laughter - I'm trying to make it comedic to overshadow some of the dark things that happened during this time.
    Do you mean a memoir or a semi-autobiographical novel? If it's the former I would advise to adapt it to the latter; it's not going to be easy publishing an autobiography of an unpublished, unknown person!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maskofsanity)
    Do you mean a memoir or a semi-autobiographical novel? If it's the former I would advise to adapt it to the latter; it's not going to be easy publishing an autobiography of an unpublished, unknown person!
    Yeah that was one of the problems that I was thinking would arise, so I'm in the process of changing it to the latter
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    I like to do NaNoWriMo, though I don't do anything with what I have created which are generally very badly written 3/4 finished stories.
    Currently I am planning a story I hope to write over the summer, and hopefully I will manage to finish it, but it is still just for me, a chance to tell myself I have achieved something, I have no intention of editing or publishing.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently writing a book at the moment (the first couple of pages of it are actually in the creative corner section) that is set on another world. There are two humanoid races that are related to each other that are at war with one another. The book focuses on the main character and the other characters and explores them as the book progresses. It shows how their lives are affected by the war.

I'm also writing another book about my deafness to try and raise awareness of deaf people.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    I'm currently writing a book at the moment (the first couple of pages of it are actually in the creative corner section) that is set on another world. There are two humanoid races that are related to each other that are at war with one another. The book focuses on the main character and the other characters and explores them as the book progresses. It shows how their lives are affected by the war.

I'm also writing another book about my deafness to try and raise awareness of deaf people.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'm particularly interested about the part I have put in bold - how do you plan on raising awareness of deafness through your book? is it a fiction book or a book about your experiences? I have to say that I really like the idea and I wish you the best of luck with it!

ReputationRep:
    I've been writing one for around 2 1/2 years off and on with exams and life getting in the way. It is a ghost short-story but still needs a lot more work.
    ATM the only thing I don't want to alter is the blurb

ReputationRep:
    I'm particularly interested about the part I have put in bold - how do you plan on raising awareness of deafness through your book? is it a fiction book or a book about your experiences? I have to say that I really like the idea and I wish you the best of luck with it!
    Thanks and good luck to you too!

I'm writing it with my own experiences and what sound is like for me. My own experiences will pretty much include the discrimination I faced in primary school, including some from a teacher who ignored my deafness completely. I'm kinda planning on writing about what it's like to be a partially hearing person in a hearing community in a mainstream school, and all the difficulties I've had to go through just to get to where I am now. Hope I've answered your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGoonerGirl)
    Thanks and good luck to you too!

I'm writing it with my own experiences and what sound is like for me. My own experiences will pretty much include the discrimination I faced in primary school, including some from a teacher who ignored my deafness completely. I'm kinda planning on writing about what it's like to be a partially hearing person in a hearing community in a mainstream school, and all the difficulties I've had to go through just to get to where I am now. Hope I've answered your question.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well, that's pretty bad from the teachers point of view if they were aware of your deafness in my opinion. But it certainly sounds interesting so if it does ever get published I will be buying it

ReputationRep:
    Well, that's pretty bad from the teachers point of view if they were aware of your deafness in my opinion. But it certainly sounds interesting so if it does ever get published I will be buying it
    Heh. Thanks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I wrote a book for NaNoWriMo in November (obviously) and was debating whether to try getting a publisher or just self publish on Amazon. I chose self publish just to get my work out there, and I've planned to (attempt to) go down the traditional publishing route for my next novel.

ReputationRep:
    I'm writing a novel based on Les Misérables, but I think mine might be even more depressing... I've stolen lots of ideas from other books so I doubt it will ever get published, but it's been fun to write!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.