Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey i'm getting to the end of year 11, therefor i'm picking my A-levels.(In general interest I want to be a Doctor). My original idea was to do 4- Maths, Biology, Chemistry and computing, then I was told to do further maths as well as i've already covered most of maths in my further maths gcse that i'm going, so i may as well at least do it AS standard, so yeh i've added further in.

i was wondering if anyone else has done 5 and what they think to it? As well how strenuous is Alevel computing-- i am very keen on the theory side, but to be honest i dont wanna do the coursework in A2(hate coursework) but if it's not that bad i will wing it. What do you guys think or is there another subject that i can do that's just exam-based.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently doing 5 AS levels however I find it very strenuous and I'm only taking 3 to A level (plus an extended project) just so I can do better in them.

Most colleges I have heard about won't allow you to do 5 A levels but 5 AS levels isn't entirely uncommon! That's just my experience. Would you want to do the full two years in all of them?

ReputationRep:
    Lots of people at my Sixth Form took 5 AS levels, and then took 3/4 of them to A2. In my college, if you only do 3 A2 you have to pick up another AS or do an ABC language or extended project, but there's a good chance it's different at yours.

ReputationRep:
    if you want to do medicine then i wouldnt bother doing 5, i did 4 and its not needed at all, it makes it harder during your last exams as you have to ration revision times around all the subjects and sacrafise a subject which you revise least! do 4 if you want, get AAAA and try and get into medical school, thats the hard bit!

ReputationRep:
    I did five ASs and am now doing four A2s plus another AS (although its only critical thinking). I think it's down to how you cope in AS, and perhaps if you aren't happy doing five subjects to A Level then drop the subject that is least appropriate to medicine?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I chose to do Chemistry, Maths, Further Maths, Government and Politics, Economics. This year I am doing AS Chemistry, Gov.Pol and Economics and AS and A2 Maths, next year I will do the full A level of Further Maths. I'm not finding it ridiculous, but I'm definitely dropping Chemistry. I know a few potential medics who are doing Further Maths, but because of the way our school does the modules they took it mainly so they would complete Maths in a year and then they can drop it.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WTTR2597)
    Hey i'm getting to the end of year 11, therefor i'm picking my A-levels.(In general interest I want to be a Doctor). My original idea was to do 4- Maths, Biology, Chemistry and computing, then I was told to do further maths as well as i've already covered most of maths in my further maths gcse that i'm going, so i may as well at least do it AS standard, so yeh i've added further in.

i was wondering if anyone else has done 5 and what they think to it? As well how strenuous is Alevel computing-- i am very keen on the theory side, but to be honest i dont wanna do the coursework in A2(hate coursework) but if it's not that bad i will wing it. What do you guys think or is there another subject that i can do that's just exam-based.

Thanks.
    I do 5 A-Levels - the work load isn't the problem but Further Maths is considered by med. schools to be irrelevant or even a hinderance and you may be asked to drop it, or just take the AS.
    Further Maths gcse only covers a fraction of maths. . .

ReputationRep:
    Alevels and GCSE are very different. Alevels are harder. You have to read about actual experiments and keep up to date with stuff in the science world to do well. And understand everything.
    Just don't undermine the step. It's a BIG difference.

ReputationRep:
    No need to take 5, 4 is enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WTTR2597)

Thanks.
    I did 5 in my first year and an Extended Project but they were more essay based as I did Classics, Law, Politics, English Lit and Maths so the workload was just ridiculous due to the lack of overlap in the subjects. I have friends who did 5 based around the sciences and they also didn't do too well however the people I know who have been given offers for medicine and vet sciences only did 4 and the vet is going to Cambridge so I reckon you'd be fine. Quality over quantity all the way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.