Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I want to start running Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've never been skinny, but in the past 2 years I've put on 4 stone, and haven't gotten any taller, so I'm quite overweight. (I'm 17)

I want to start running to help me lose some weight and just generally get fitter. I've gone for a run a few times before, but I've only lasted about a minute and a half.

I know the first few times will be difficult and I'll get better the more I do it,, but are there any tips to help me last a little bit longer whilst running?

And also, can any girls recommend a good sports bra and tracksuit bottoms? The ones I have at the moment make me feel a bit exposed/uncomfortable as I jiggle a bit, which usually prevents me from going out to run.

ReputationRep:
    Bumpidy Bump Bump

ReputationRep:
    Definitely try couch 2 5k. So good for beginners, will have you running in no time.

ReputationRep:
    I just downloaded a Couch-to-5K app, it definitely looks doable! I like how you can change the instructor to a Zombie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beccagood95)
    I've never been skinny, but in the past 2 years I've put on 4 stone, and haven't gotten any taller, so I'm quite overweight. (I'm 17)

I want to start running to help me lose some weight and just generally get fitter. I've gone for a run a few times before, but I've only lasted about a minute and a half.

I know the first few times will be difficult and I'll get better the more I do it,, but are there any tips to help me last a little bit longer whilst running?

And also, can any girls recommend a good sports bra and tracksuit bottoms? The ones I have at the moment make me feel a bit exposed/uncomfortable as I jiggle a bit, which usually prevents me from going out to run.
    Cycle - it's more flattering, good exercise and doesn't knacker your knees

ReputationRep:
    I've heard good things about the couch to 5k NHS thing. Definitely try that! But don't get disheartened if you feel like you can't do it. Don't give up, just try again. It took me so long to get into running, I kept trying to start, then stopping for a bit, then trying to start again. Eventually I learned to love it (mostly!)
    Bra-wise, maybe try the marks and spencer sports bras? I get mine from there and I really like them, although I don't know how good they are for bigger boobs!

ReputationRep:
    I have the shock-absorber run bra which is really good (and not massively pricey), it stops any jiggling.

ReputationRep:
    Just acknowledge the first few runs are going to hurt like hell. And then go from there. Take it slowly, don't be tempted to run fast, and it doesn't matter if you have to stop for a few seconds - if you stop, your leg muscles aren't working, but your heart is still beating fast and your lungs are still breathing hard.

Try to keep your heart rate up for half an hour at least each time - even if this means running one minute then walking thirty seconds. The key to cardio training is to keep your heart rate up at high levels for as long as possible.

ReputationRep:
    My Dad is trying to convince me that running will do nothing for me as he can run 5K (he can) and he's a rather large man, and that this couch-to-5K thing is just some "fad" and not for the long term.
    But he's got a pretty bad diet and he's quite drunk so I think I'll just leave that and start this Couch-to-5K in the morning.
    Thank you for your tips everyone, they're all greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished doing it!
    I actually enjoyed that, although there were a few issues, like the place I chose wasn't big enough to do it so I did half of it there and then went somewhere else and started again, something falling etc.
    But now I've worked it all out, I think next time will be much better.
    My maximum for running was 1 minute 30 before, and then I basically just stopped, so doing the running for 1 minute and then walking for a minute and a half was brilliant, I've done more running today than I've ever done!

The one proper issue was my feet hurting though. D:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Becca, I am also trying to get to 5k before Mid May, see the thread I started here:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=2302913

I currently do no excercise, am overweight, and smoke.
    I will be starting this weekend, hopefully, we can motivate each other.

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    Other than running you should try punching on bag it is more fat burning...

ReputationRep:
    The C25K is definitely a great starting point. It does help you to get running for 30 minutes at once by the end of it!
    And it will help you to lose weight. Alongside with a good balanced diet!

You could also try swimming as well as it isn't as 'hard' on your joints.

With the feet hurting, what shoes are you wearing? It could be just because you aren't used to running, but I'd make sure that you have proper trainers to run in!

ReputationRep:
    I do like swimming, I used to do competitive swimming when I was younger, but I can't do that as often because it gets inconvenient and pricey but I will try to go at least once a week.

And yeah, I've had those trainers for a very long time and they aren't the best, I might need to invest in a new pair...

ReputationRep:
    I did a lot of research into sports bras before i bought mine and a lot of articles and reviews recommend the Shock Absorber bra which you can get in Debenhams for about £30. It's really good, and I def recommend it if you have bigger boobs (I'm an e cup).

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    What kind of sports bra to get depends a bit on how big your boobs are. If they're on the large side, I'd definitely recommend Enell - they're more like a sort of corset-crop-top thing than a bra, and nothing is going anywhere while you're wearing one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Persipan)
    What kind of sports bra to get depends a bit on how big your boobs are. If they're on the large side, I'd definitely recommend Enell - they're more like a sort of corset-crop-top thing than a bra, and nothing is going anywhere while you're wearing one.

I'm an E cup, so the Enell looks brilliant, I'll definitely invest in one of those.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katehlouise)
    The C25K is definitely a great starting point. It does help you to get running for 30 minutes at once by the end of it!
    And it will help you to lose weight. Alongside with a good balanced diet!

You could also try swimming as well as it isn't as 'hard' on your joints.

With the feet hurting, what shoes are you wearing? It could be just because you aren't used to running, but I'd make sure that you have proper trainers to run in!
    I bought some new comfy trainers, which did help but after a while they did start to hurt again, so I think you might be right about not being used to it. But the faster I was jogging, the less they hurt. :confused:

I went again today, it was fun, but a bit tricker, probably because I went with my boyfriend this time.
    My boyfriend does tae kwon do so he's quite fit and can definitely outrun me, so I was trying to keep up with him the entire time. :rolleyes:

But I'm proud of myself and I'll be even more proud once I've finished the first week.

I thought I hated running, turns out I quite like it. :dumbells:

ReputationRep:
    Hi Becca
    I've just been foot my first run walk outing. How are you doing with it?

ReputationRep:
    if you're overweight and running, you'll incur a knee injury. So strengthen your leg muscles first eg. quads, to relieve the pressure from your knees. even skinny people get knee injuries, so you'll find knees hurt once you start running. maybe do brisk walking first for a few weeks and strength training before you start running.

if not brisk walking, maybe do some swimming

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 7, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.