Join TSR now to have your say on this topicSign up now

Who is your favourite British politician and why? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Iain Duncan Smith I think. Excellent speaker, proud to have him representing our country to foreign powers and I like his political stance and history in the party.

I like Boris... He's very right wing and manages to relate to people despite his elite background. I don't think I could give him my vote in a leadership contest though. I couldn't see him representing the country; he's far too bumbling and eccentric.

Theresa May is also excellent and if she ever ran for leader of the Tories she would definitely have my vote. And I like Michael Gove too. Good stance on education and good representative for the party.

Edit;;
    I completely forgot Daniel Hannan. He has solid political values, is one of the best speakers I've ever heard and I love reading his Telegraph Blog. He's a strong right wing force in the Conservative party despite 'only' being an MEP. I don't entirely agree with his Eurosceptic views but he's holding the EU to account from inside the European Parliament - definitely my favourite politician.
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Rory Stewart. Very clever, excellent speaker, well read, interesting life behind him, seems to have a genuine interest in his local area and the modern Conservative Party.

While we're at it, David Cameron is shockingly underrated. He's been pretty bloody impressive - implementing radical change to the Tory Party in opposition, taking charge of a government in the worst economic climate imaginable, having to build a strong government with a hung parliament, balancing the divergent needs of the various factions (and the Lib Dems too), focused on a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff like international trade - all while dealing extraordinarily well with events (Libya, the EU, Scottish nationalism etc).

If I had to choose from the opposition benches it's difficult not to admire the great motive forces behind New Labour like Blair, Campbell and Mandelson. If I had to try to find a more balanced soul, however, I'd go for Shadow Foreign Secretary Douglas Alexander. Did a lot of good work in international development when he was in government, seems to get the job done, doesn't go off spouting ludicrous crap.

(Original post by fayemx)
    Michael Gove. said no one. ever.
    I think Michael Gove is utterly excellent. Excellent politics, hard working, minimal bull-**** and decent to chat to. I'd consider him prime ministerial material if he had a bit more... presence.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I have quite a few..

Boris - So outspoken and natural but within very intelligent and calculating

Hague - He just oozes that Prime Ministerial feeling, arguably more so now than when he was leader

Heseltine - Not sure what most of his social views are but in general he's a Tory who doesn't give a crap what the modern party supports, it's what his views are, everything from being pro-EU to mass devolution, it's quite refreshing

Historically i think Pitt The Younger sounds pretty good, Gladstone it's said would probably be a Tory today and Disraeli has had a profound influence with Labour now looking to him.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    To those commenting on May, Gove and Hannan i agree. All these people are highly comment and have been generally impressive. I'm not sure i'd want them as PM since they seem they'd like enable Ukip but certainly if i were picking cabinet members they'd be in.

Lib - Agree almost entirely.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Death.)
    They're all rather dull to be honest, but of all of them Tony Benn is definitely one of the most moral, realistic, idealistic and respectable politicians.
    I would accept all of the above bar realistic.

ReputationRep:
    I can't believe you people. Having a favourite politician based on personality? -_-

ReputationRep:
    Probably better if I throw out a top 5. In no particular order (because if I knew the order it would not be a top five):
    W. Hague
    R. Stewart
    A. Johnson
    K. Clarke
    D. Laws (well, this is in order. He's fifth)

I quite like Gove but I do feel he's going too far down the rote learning route of education. No point remembering stuff if you're incapable of judging whether or not it's even true. Ignoring a few differences in opinion in regards to the direction of his department though I do think he is a formidable politician.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James A)
    BJ has the best personality, but is just about worthy to be called a politician.

Haha, I know, but politics has never really interested me. He/his advisory team isn't doing too badly so I don't mind him

ReputationRep:
    From what i have seen Boris Johnson has a hard time speaking in interviews so it'd be hard for me to imagine how he would be a good leader. Even Nick Clegg seems to have a hard time speaking and doesn't appear to have the aura of being a leader, this is mostly noticeable in deputy prime minister's questions. I personally like Nigel Farage though, he always speaks his mind and always knows what to say unlike some people, Michael Gove seems good in that regard also although my favorite at the moment is Nigel Farage.

ReputationRep:
    I personally really love George Galloway. He's really honest and trustworthy.

ReputationRep:
    I personally wish you could've just added this to the myriad of other posts about who your favourite British Politician is.

ReputationRep:
    inb4 Meenu and Boris Johnson

Quite obviously Boris

ReputationRep:
    I call Screaming Lord Sutch.

ReputationRep:
    Tony Benn

ReputationRep:
    Boris of course, hes great fun

ReputationRep:
    Michael Gove...:troll:

ReputationRep:
    Take a guess...

ReputationRep:
    Probably Andy Burnham

ReputationRep:
    FARAGE

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
General election 2017 on TSR
Register to vote

Registering to vote?

Check out our guide for everything you need to know

Manifesto snapshots

Manifesto Snapshots

All you need to know about the 2017 party manifestos

Party Leader questions

Party Leader Q&A

Ask political party leaders your questions

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.