The Student Room Group

Taking on Furher Maths A-Level

Ok so basically i am currently in My A2 Level studying Maths, Physics and Buisness. However as i would like to study Engineering i have decided that i want to take an extra year in college and take further maths (Just that subject).

I am predicting A* in maths and physics so that 'diffulclty' of doing further maths in one year wouldnt be an issue.

I just want to know how many units i would need to complete in that year to get the A-Level,

By the end of this acadmecic year i would have completed the maths modules with C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 S1,

Just want to know what units i HAVE to take to achieve further maths(FP1 etc) ??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
PS Im with the edexcel board.

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
A third year at sixth form will exclude you from a lot of universities, unfortunately. You have to take FP1, FP2 and 4 others from the selection, as far as I know. I'd recommend S1, S2, FP3 and then either D1 if you want an easy ride of M3 to help with engineering later on.
Original post by ibra456
Ok so basically i am currently in My A2 Level studying Maths, Physics and Buisness. However as i would like to study Engineering i have decided that i want to take an extra year in college and take further maths (Just that subject).

I am predicting A* in maths and physics so that 'diffulclty' of doing further maths in one year wouldnt be an issue.

I just want to know how many units i would need to complete in that year to get the A-Level,

By the end of this acadmecic year i would have completed the maths modules with C1 C2 C3 C4 M1 S1,

Just want to know what units i HAVE to take to achieve further maths(FP1 etc) ??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by ibra456

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

^note his point

Anyway, being a maths enthusiast, you would do

FP1, FP2, FP3 and 3 applied modules.

I would recommend M2, M3 and M4 :smile:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by ibra456

Thanks again!

Posted from TSR Mobile

To get the whole A level, you need FP1 and either FP2 or FP3. You then just take various applied (or the other fp) to make up the rest of the modules.
Reply 5
Original post by ibra456

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 units.
FP1 for the AS then either FP2 or FP3 for the A2 I believe.
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by joostan
6 units.
FP1 for the AS then either FP2 or FP3 for the A2 I believe.

Really? It would be a bit odd to do FP3 not having done FP2.

As far as I'm aware, you're supposed to do either

FP1, FP2 and 4 applied modules

or

Reply 7
Original post by Indeterminate
Really? It would be a bit odd to do FP3 not having done FP2.

As far as I'm aware, you're supposed to do either

FP1, FP2 and 4 applied modules

or

Odd yes - but permitted it seems - page 10
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024850%20GCE%20in%20Mathematics%20issue%202%20180510.pdf

Reply 8
http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocuments/GCE%20New%20GCE/UA024850%20GCE%20in%20Mathematics%20issue%202%20180510.pdf

You have to do FP1 and either FP2 or FP3. I think FP3 is the better one (according to my FM teacher) as it has all the good stuff in. Hopefully someone who has done Edexcel will know better than I, as I do OCR MEI.

For other modules i'd probably do D1, M2, S2 and then probably M3 which will be the most relevant to Engineering. However, are you sure that you want to spend another year at college? At any uni engineering course you will only have an advantage in the first month/term or so if you've done FM before everyone gets up to the same level.
I'm considering doing a further maths a level as an external candidate (I'm in Year 12 at the moment) as I want to do maths at university and having a further maths a level or AS level is pretty necessary for most of the top unis for maths. Is self-teaching myself six new modules doable in a maybe a year and a bit? Or would it be too much extra work on top of my other A2 exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by NewCeremony
I'm considering doing a further maths a level as an external candidate (I'm in Year 12 at the moment) as I want to do maths at university and having a further maths a level or AS level is pretty necessary for most of the top unis for maths. Is self-teaching myself six new modules doable in a maybe a year and a bit? Or would it be too much extra work on top of my other A2 exams?

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you love it and you're good at it you'll be fine :smile:
do FP1, FP2, M1, M2, M3, D1
I was wondering, do you have to a fair bit of physics knowledge to do mechanics? Science is not a strong point of mine so I never did them and mechanics seems very physicsy to me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 13
Original post by NewCeremony
I was wondering, do you have to a fair bit of physics knowledge to do mechanics? Science is not a strong point of mine so I never did them and mechanics seems very physicsy to me :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

they'll teach it all to you though it would help, the maths in mechanics isn't overly complicated. It usually comes down to having a godd diagram or picture of what's going on in your mind.

Quick Reply

Latest