Join TSR now and get all your career questions answeredSign up now

What can I do to volunteer? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm 14 years old and I'm looking to volunteer and I'm willing to do anything! I've volunteered at my local riding school for 3 years so I know how to interact with the public professionally from aged 5-55, but now I just want some new experiences so I welcome any ideas! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered aged 14 at a charity shop, which is just the standard thing to do if you want to volunteer for things at that age.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Americandream)
    I'm 14 years old and I'm looking to volunteer and I'm willing to do anything! I've volunteered at my local riding school for 3 years so I know how to interact with the public professionally from aged 5-55, but now I just want some new experiences so I welcome any ideas! Thank you!
    How about volunteering at your local rainbow/brownie/guides group. You can volunteer there from 14.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Is it a regular volunteering thing your after or one off events? Any particular charity or type of work?

ReputationRep:
    clean up dog **** in the local park.

ReputationRep:
    You could volunteer at a charity shop like I did.

I found this website with loads of opportunities you may like.

http://www.do-it.org.uk/

ReputationRep:
    I volunteered at a local city farm when I was 13 and had a lot of fun! Caring for animals and interacting with the public, it was a great experience. I've also volunteered in a charity shop for a while and helped out with the Brownies whilst I was a Girl Guide.
    All of these experiences were good fun and I would simply suggest looking for volunteer work in an area you're interested in!
    If you enjoy working with animals, then a local city farm or a shelter can be incredibly rewarding.
    If you enjoy the arts or creativity, get in touch with a local youth group and see what you can do to help out.

The possibilities are endless! Just get in touch with people - most small groups would be more than happy to have a volunteer help out and it'll be great fun for you too

ReputationRep:
    Just thought, I know a 14 year old who helps down my local park. He worked with me on the free festival they run each year. Check around, park groups are great.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    try outdoor education, there are some mainly scout/guide sites that allow 14 year olds to volunteer.

ReputationRep:
    Google "vitalise" it's a charity that gives holidays to disabled people. You stay there for a week's worth (it's residential). It was quite enjoyable when I went with a few friends, you look after them from 7am-9pm and then go out on the lash each night, it was fun!

Edit: Just saw your age was 14, i think you need to be over a certain age to go

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yorkshire.lad)
    Google "vitalise" it's a charity that gives holidays to disabled people. You stay there for a week's worth (it's residential). It was quite enjoyable when I went with a few friends, you look after them from 7am-9pm and then go out on the lash each night, it was fun!

Edit: Just saw your age was 14, i think you need to be over a certain age to go
    I would love to do that! do many students volunteers and what about international students?

ReputationRep:
    i volunteered at a charity shop near where i live, i was about 17 and i did it for the summer its not that exciting or anything but its a good experience plus i met a few people who were interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sunny103)
    I would love to do that! do many students volunteers and what about international students?
    loads of students do, i think a few internationals do aswell long term.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your ideas :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If you want a real hands on experience while dealing with the public and possibly going to live events, look no further than the St John Ambulance First Aid team.

Depending on your young age, you will either be part of the Beaver team or the Cadet team. You'll learn first aid and be part of a team who may attend any number of events.

What's good about joining SJA at a young age is that the transition from Beavers to Cadets, then Cadets to Adult First Aid is seemless - attend and induction and you're good to go.

It's also extremely well known, promotes and teaches essential first aid skills (do you know what to do if you find a baby choking?) and has many different areas you could go into (cycling response team, emergency response team, trainer, trainer assessor, etc.).

If you want to know more, do ask the St John Ambulance thread or phone them! They're always looking for new volunteers.

Good luck!

Poll
Which web browser do you use?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.