Join TSR now and get all your revision questions answeredSign up now

ReputationRep:
    I've chosen Physics A Level and I am excited to start next year. However my only knowledge of Physics is the GCSE stuff which I'm currently doing. Does anyone recommend any books to read over the summer in Physics to prepare me more for the A Level I know its in a while but I'd love to get interested in the hard core Physics

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You could buy the Revision Guides published by your exam board. I have an AQA one, and it's really reader-friendly with all the key points, equations, and practise questions to start you off with.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad Appe

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the idea however im not sure what board my school does! :P

ReputationRep:
    Having done AS Physics, if you are interested in specific reading books then I'm not the best person to recommend specific titles but one think I would wholeheartedly recommend without a shadow of a doubt that you make sure your GCSE maths is pin-point perfect.

If you can't confidently handle A-A* GCSE maths, you will struggle. It's just a proven fact. So if you want to hit the ground running with some 'momentum' (ha, physics joke) then make sure over the summer (last week of August) brush up and make sure you are capable of doing these couple things:

- Rearrange 'nasty' looking equations
    Find the A Level Physics formula book and manipulate/rearrange the equations
    e.g, for OCR for example, page 4 gives you the AS formulas you will use http://www.ocr.org.uk/Images/77735-d...81-to-g486.pdf
    - Be able to work in standard form on a calculator and have a brief understanding of prefixes e.g KG is 10^3
    - Understand, plot, find gradients/intercepts of y=mx+c graphs
    - Know your trig: SOHCAHTOA / pythag

These are basically the assumed knowledge before starting Physics, regardless of course. Doing AS maths will help you too.

ReputationRep:
    Richard Feynman's Quantum Electrodynamics is a must read!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/QED-Strange-.../dp/0140125051

ReputationRep:
    Im going to take a wild guess and say you are going to be doing OCR physics. In that case, i would recommend researching online practical applications of the theories you will be studying next year just for curiosity purposes.

e.g. you will be learning about material properties next year (e.g. stress, strain, young's modulus) so i would read up on materials notable for their stress and strain properties e.g. kevlar.

That way, you are preparing yourself for the course content but not in a boring way as you're feeding your curiosity. start off with a few wiki pages and then watch a few videos on how they make kevlar etc. then maybe watch a war movie to top it off lol.

I LOVE THE SMELL OF NAPALM IN THE MORNING

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your help!!!

Should MenACWY vaccination be compulsory at uni?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.